November 8th, 2008

Obama inauguration tickets already offered for sale online

Tickets to Obama's historic inauguration are free -- even though they are already being offered online for thousands of dollars.
Tickets to Obama's historic inauguration are free - even though they are already being offered online for thousands of dollars.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Organizers of the 56th Presidential Inauguration are warning consumers to be skeptical of tickets being offered for sale online to President-Elect Barack Obama's swearing-in ceremony.

With 73 days to go, tickets are already appearing on the Internet with a hefty price tag. On eBay, 18 bidders have driven up one pair to more than $1,000. One Web site, Inauguraltickets.com, is inviting members of the public to place orders, warning "Our prices will reflect the difficulty in obtaining" tickets. Another site, Dreamtix, is offering a variety of seats ranging from $1,400 to $21,000 a pop.

Watch: Inaugural tickets already for sale on the Web

Carole Florman, Communications Director for the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, says "anyone claiming to have tickets to sell right now, or saying that they will guarantee tickets, is not telling the truth." Florman told CNN the 240,000 free tickets to the swearing-in ceremony are currently in a "secure location" and will not be handed out until a few days before. Tickets to the Inaugural Parade and official balls will be handled by a Presidential Inaugural Committee, which has yet to be formed.

The inaugural committee Web site advises members of the public wishing to attend to contact their members of Congress or U.S. Senator and ask to be put on the list for tickets.

An employee answering the phone at Dreamtix.com would give no comment to CNN about their tickets on offer. Karl Roes, the owner of Inauguraltickets.com, told CNN the site buys and sells tickets on the "secondary market" and, while they are taking orders, "we are not claiming we have tickets" at this time.

1. David Pearson

Free tickets to the Inauguration? Sure, I gotcha for 240,000 tickets.

Nope, sorry, that'll be $21,000 per ticket.

No increase in taxes?

Nope, sorry, that'll be.......

November 8, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  2. aissatou ndao

I am obama supported since 11-5 2004 i want to be a part inauguration but i dont have money to pay the ticket because i am mother of five children .i work barack since the beging with senator bill perkins from new york .i knock door make phone call registed people who ever vote since they been citizen of united states all my senegalese people know iam obama supported , i am going for ever my life please i need a ticket for the inaguaration

November 8, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  3. AMUSED

I wouldn't go even if I was PAID to attend.

November 8, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  4. Ayse London

Tickets for Obam's Inaugeration is THEEE event of all time.
    Obama-mania baby

November 8, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  5. Charles Stewart

Sir, or Ma'am,

I am an African American Man, and a Service Connected Disabled United States Navy Veteran with over 20 years service to the United States of America. I am the son of a World War II Navy Veteran, my late father. Also, I am a Gold Star father, my 23 year old only son is at sea aboard ship, fighting the war on terror right now...this is his second tour of duty over there. For goodiness sake, can someone out there help, please donate or at least provide me with 2 tickets for me and a family member to attend President Elect Obama's Inauguration. I live in Woodbridge, Virginia. Standing by! v/r

November 8, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  6. Perusing-Through

ONLY IN AMERICA . . .

[1.] – In the year of 2000, Barack Obama was not high profile enough or important enough to get into the DNC nomination festivities. Obama was turned away and refused entry.

[2.] – Eight years later (2008), while running for President of the United States, Barack Obama's election committee held their history making Democratic Convention in Denver, and closed out the convention on Thursday evening at Denver's Invesco Mile High stadium attracting 85,000 stadium patrons for 'FREE'. The total price of the week long convention festivities, including the stadium event was $54,000,000.00. The Obama committee and the DNC paid it all off within a month. The $54,000,000.00 stadium event was only a fraction of the $700,000,000.00 raised by the now President-Elect Barack Obama.

HOW IRONIC, ONLY 8-YEARS AGO THE DEMOCRATS WOULD NOT LET OBAMA IN THEIR CONVENTION PARTY. NOW THE VERY MAN THE DNC SAW AS NOT QUALIFIED FOR ENTRY INTO THEIR DNC PARTY HAS BROUGHT THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS IN CASH, MILLIONS IN NEW VOTER REGISTRATION, AND RETURNED THE DEMOCRATS TO THE WHITE HOUSE.

November 8, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  7. Jasmine in Germany

Be happy that you can witness the event via TV, etc. from the comfort of your home. TV coverage is more desirable, informative, enjoyable, and civilized than the "live" scene. Enjoy this very special event!

November 8, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  8. tushyadev jadunundun

this is absurd...people beware of scammers and con artist...

November 8, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  9. Tony_N_ATL

I am sooooo happy about this article because i was speaking with my family determining if we were going to one of the sites to order.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 8, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  10. Mike S.

That is if your member of Congress will actually reply to your request to be put on the list for tickets. Gingrey I know it's not the president you wanted, but come on!

November 8, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  11. Kellie

has anyone requested inaugural tickets before? what is the process?

November 8, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  12. Independent white female patriotic voter

It is my dream to attend obama's inauguration but it certainly sounds out of the question for me at those prices! I guess I'll watch it on CNN.
    I am so proud to have him as our president and I am confident that he will be one of our greatest presidents ever!

November 8, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  13. David Newport, OR

We are in this economic situation because of greed and now we see more greed here. The tickets are free.

November 8, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  14. SObama

Who gives a flying .....

November 8, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  15. David

Crazy people.

November 8, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  16. The Blessed One

This is so exciting!

We're arranging buses from each state carrying each state banner. We ALL want to witness this historical and spiritual event.

November 8, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  17. Scott L

Already holds his first press conference and he totally disrespects Nancy Reagan.

I am trying to give this guy a chance (would take him over Pelosi), but it doesn't look good. Zero respect for the former first lady. He has already called and apologized to her, but imagine him making remarks about other world leaders...Putin or Medvedev for example. He won't be able to call and apologize. Without a teleprompter, this is what we get.

He better start showing some respect...

November 8, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  18. Ted:Canada

Obama Advisor in Canada!

Obama come and visit Canada before your Inauguration

Here is why, from your own Department of State

Also send this to Lou Dobbs so that when he talks about BORDERS – to make sure we know which borders he is talking about !!!!!

READ CAREFULLY! Most Americans don't know this...

"Trade and Investment
    Canada's importance to the U.S. is not just a border-state phenomenon: Canada is the leading export market for 36 of the 50 U.S. States, and ranked in the top three for another 10 States. In fact, Canada is a larger market for U.S. goods than all 27 countries of the European Community combined, whose population is more than 15 times that of Canada."

November 8, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  19. W. Thomas

How can I recieve a ticket for the inauguration

November 8, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  20. Josh, Charlotte, NC

Why should we have to pay to see our new president's inauguration? Shouldn't it be open to the public?

November 8, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  21. Saul

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to attend these ceremony like everyone else but I don't think I will want to spend any kind of money for it. TV coverage would seem cheaper and way more convenient.

November 8, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  22. Crystal Kinard

I feel that Obama is doing the right thing by getting started on his goals. The only thing is if he does another stimulus package that gives taxes payers money will it be enough. I mean Bush plan gave Americans between 300 to 1200 dollars. What kind of stimulus was that, lets be serious the average tax payer has over 5,ooo dollars in bills. Most of the people paid bills with that money and it did the economy no good. I feel that if he is going to do a stimulus to tax payers let it be at the least 10,000. That way people pay their bills and put money back into the economy. It's enough for people to get coaught up on bills, but not to much where they quit their jobs and kill the economy. You can't just give money to companies and wall street it still leaves people without money and without money people don't buy stuff. Which unltimatly brings the stock market down. We need a real stimulus plan, one that will actually make a difference

November 8, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  23. Marilynn, Wilmington, NC

This is good to know... I have been on inauguraltickets.com and asked to be informed when tickets were availabe for sale. Thanks for posting this info... Not interested in getting dupped. m.

November 8, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  24. Crystal Kinard

I think its wrong for people to try and sell fake tickets to the swear in and its even worse that dreamtix.com wont give a comment about their tickets. I mean come on be man or woman enough to admit you wanted to make some easy money off history in the making. It was a good idea but they should have done their research before actually doing the scam, but I'll give them an E for effort.

November 8, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  25. McCain

What a surprise. He's going to help everybody.. As long as they pay cash. What a fraud, what a joke and what a nightmare in the next 4 years. You drank the KoolAid America, let's see how it tastes when it turns out to be crap....

November 8, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |