November 8th, 2008

Obama inauguration tickets already offered for sale online

Tickets to Obama's historic inauguration are free -- even though they are already being offered online for thousands of dollars.
Tickets to Obama's historic inauguration are free - even though they are already being offered online for thousands of dollars.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Organizers of the 56th Presidential Inauguration are warning consumers to be skeptical of tickets being offered for sale online to President-Elect Barack Obama's swearing-in ceremony.

With 73 days to go, tickets are already appearing on the Internet with a hefty price tag. On eBay, 18 bidders have driven up one pair to more than $1,000. One Web site, Inauguraltickets.com, is inviting members of the public to place orders, warning "Our prices will reflect the difficulty in obtaining" tickets. Another site, Dreamtix, is offering a variety of seats ranging from $1,400 to $21,000 a pop.

Watch: Inaugural tickets already for sale on the Web

Carole Florman, Communications Director for the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, says "anyone claiming to have tickets to sell right now, or saying that they will guarantee tickets, is not telling the truth." Florman told CNN the 240,000 free tickets to the swearing-in ceremony are currently in a "secure location" and will not be handed out until a few days before. Tickets to the Inaugural Parade and official balls will be handled by a Presidential Inaugural Committee, which has yet to be formed.

The inaugural committee Web site advises members of the public wishing to attend to contact their members of Congress or U.S. Senator and ask to be put on the list for tickets.

An employee answering the phone at Dreamtix.com would give no comment to CNN about their tickets on offer. Karl Roes, the owner of Inauguraltickets.com, told CNN the site buys and sells tickets on the "secondary market" and, while they are taking orders, "we are not claiming we have tickets" at this time.

1. Voted for change in Texas

Why the heck is CNN still leaving Sarah Palin hyper link on this ticker. She is yesterday's news plus it is very rude as she wasn't even the top of the ticket.

November 8, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  2. aliou FL

How do I get free tickets?

November 8, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  3. Proud American

Thanks for posting the article. I almost fell for one of these scams. I almost paid $300 per person for a family of 4 to attend the inauguration.

My next question that I have is... is there a charge for the inaugural parade?

November 8, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  4. Jerry

Now if it were John McCain I would Attend, I just dont get why after OBAMA gets elected he starts changing his mind wow what SMART person he is..

November 8, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  5. NObama

I did not vote for THAT ONE!. He is not my president-elect and he will not be my president!. One day Obama and his buddies will probably sell the U.S too!

November 8, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  6. Virginia

i would like to attend the inaugural parade with my two sisters because i and them may never get to see this happen in our life time again. we lost our oldest sister and wished she could have lived to see tis. she was like the mother for all 12 of us, since we lost our mother at aearly age of our life. so if we could have the chance to see this historical event, it would mean so much to me.

November 8, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  7. Mothernature Houston,Tx

Obama is not the first black president google John Hanson. After him was Elias Boudin 1783
    Thomas Mifin 1784
    Richard Henry Lee 1785
    Nathan German 1786
    Aurthur St. Clair 1787
    Cyrus Griffin 1788
    All before Washington
    We still love Obama and beware of Al Sharpton & Jessie Jackson
    they are true HATERS!

November 8, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  8. Krystal

Capitalism at it's finest, folks! LOL! I guess I could call McCain (my senator) and see if he could get me some tickets! =P

November 8, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  9. Independant vet

QUESTION ? IS HE GOING TO SHOW HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE AT THE BALL ? fOR UP TILL NOW HE HAS NOT SHOW A VALID ONE .

November 8, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  10. Ridgeway

Ha! He's just one of us. Right. Paying to see a public official, paid with public money sworn in? Wait, my bad, I meant crowned, oops, no wait, a slip of the tongue. Annointed is the word. Yeah, that's it deified so to speak.
    This is priceless, oops, priceless is not exactly what it is, eh?

November 8, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  11. Progress vs. Stagnation

The con asrtists come out no matter what.

November 8, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  12. Nija

You kidding me

November 8, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  13. Sally in Oregon

what a bunch of sleezy vultures

November 8, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  14. Frank

What will it take for people to open their eyes and see that a man who we barely know anything about just got elected to run our country. Was he even born here. Why was he swarn in to office in Chicago over the Muslim bible?? Get a clue, take off your blinders!

November 8, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  15. Glen

Wow! You mean I just lost that million dollars I paid for my ticket? I may as well have bailed out a bank.

November 8, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  16. Randy

Give the tickets to all the folks that gave $100 or less to the campaign, they made the Obama victory possible.

November 8, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  17. phili

I would love to go to the inauguration. I can't hardly wait for january.

November 8, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  18. Griff

Mr Idiot America! Africa is Not a Continent! America is not A Continent.... That was before the USA decided Canada, is Canada..
    Mexico, is Mexico! South Africa, is South Africa. Kenya is East Africa!
    The Congo is Mid/West Africa. The Near East is Pakistan.... The Far East is Viet-Nam.... America... (The USA of America) is The Moon!!!

November 8, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  19. Esquina Modas

Presidente Bush, largou a filha mais nova, Dana Perino no Brasil. Dia das crianças, tomando bastante cerveja mijando branco, e nuvem branca.

November 8, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  20. Robert Wooller Bradford England UK

I hope the tickets go to the right people, his most hard working supporters. The people who worked the hardest to put him there and not some former Bush supporter who fell out with the GOP. Obama is a great man and my father says he could go down as the best man in US history. He is a savior is what people will be saying in 2012 at the next election when he gets a second term. With things so bad at the moment, he has come along at just the right time.

November 8, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  21. Mary

I support my President, but still feel there are unanswered questions that used to get asked by the media. Could some responsible journalist please tell the public where the money for any inaugural tickets goes? Does it go into the DNC pocket? Also what about the countless millions Obama's campaign raised even up until two days before the election when I was emailed and asked to give again? Does any left over money go to the DNC or where does it go? I know there's no way it could be completely spent in so little time. I think it would be great if this money went to charity or to the bottom line of the US deficit. Thanks in advance.

November 8, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  22. abubaker mayambala

I wud like to attend the inauguration for thr elect president pls pls plssss thx .

November 8, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  23. Derrick

I was reading the Cafferty article about what we'll miss when Bush 43 leaves and i wanted to comment but there was no more room. Let me say, I did not vote for Bush 43 but i stood behind with pride September 14, 2001 as most American's did. I watch in horror as he destroyed virtually everything he had behind him that day and hocked our future to China. I voted for Obama because he seemed sincere in steering us onto a better course. I will give him marginal room for error but I sincerely hopes that he acts as smart as he seems. What i feel really troubled about is that no one was able to show Bush 43 how bad things were and what we could do for the betterment of the nation. I do not solely blame him, he also had a staff of advisors and consultants who did not make reccomendations to him for the good of the country. Please let history record all of their names and condemn them to the digrace they have worked so hard for.

November 8, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  24. DL

Sell tickets to fund public election finace committee

November 8, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  25. DL

Sell tickets to fund public election finance committee

November 8, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |