November 8th, 2008

Obama focuses on economy in radio address

(CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama reiterated a call for fast action on the economy during the weekly Democratic radio address Saturday.

A day after stressing the economy in his first news conference since winning the presidency, Obama picked up the theme in the radio address.

Noting that nearly 1.2 million Americans have lost their jobs this year - including 240,000 in October - the president-elect said that "their stories are an urgent reminder that we are facing the greatest economic challenge of our lifetime, and we must act swiftly to resolve them."

Full story

1. Thanks America

Good luck President Obama. You have a heck of a mess to clean up. We are behind you 100%. For those of you who are not, or are just tolerating him, just step off and let him do his job. After all, you gave W 8 years to drive America into the ground. Now give President Obama time to pull it out.

November 8, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. Jindal

Obama: be careful what you wish for–you just may get it. Good luck on the economy, and the wars, and health care, and immigration...It's not a campaign anymore, it's governing. You have no experience governing, so we'll watch as you learn through trial and error.

God, I miss W already.

November 8, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  3. Jay

And that was the promise!!! Way to go Mr president elect.

November 8, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  4. MARIA

OBAMA IS ON TOP OF THINGS.I WISH PEOPLE WOULD STOP THE NEGATIVE TALK ABOUT HIM AND GIVE HIM A CHANCE TO DO WELL WHEN HE GETS TO THE WHITE HOUSE.THOSE PEOPLE THAT ARE STILL TALKING NEGATIVE ARE JEALOUS THAT AN AFRICAN AMERICAN WILL TAKE CONTROL OF THE USA.I AM FOR OBAMA SINCE THE BEGINNING AND WILL BE TO THE END.LOVE YOU OBAMA.I AM PROUD THAT WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A GOOD LOOKING YOUNG MAN AS PRESIDENT BECAUSE HE HAS PROVEN HE IS A LEADER ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!!

November 8, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  5. Milhouse van Houten

The economy,economy and the economy.No other policy will see the light of day until there is at least a calming of the economic waters.
    And that is going to be no easy task given the depth of the crisis.

November 8, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  6. d

I hate to be him this is going to be tuff President Bush didn't leave him much to work with and the Cupboard are bear.

November 8, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  7. Tom Dawson

I never knew there was such a thing as a weekly Democratic radio address on Saturdays. Hmmmmmm..... Maybe that's because I'm still a registered Republican who has voted Democratic for the last 20 or so years? When I finally change my registration to Democrat, will I get an email or letter or something telling me about this broadcast? At least I'm sure that I'll end up on lots of other mailing lists.....

November 8, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  8. Larry, Hazleton, Pa

An economic package should include an effort to get people back to work and not in just giving money – to just give money only helps the retail stores like wal-mart and target and only for short term – long term help will come with improving our roads, bridges and cities – will put more back in the work force and feed the entire economy. I for one do not want a 500 dollar cash back – lets get the biggest bang for our buck by building something.

November 8, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  9. Healing through Justice

Remember remember,

to reclaim legitamacy in november

the cornerstone will be Bush and Cheney set on the stand

to answer for their actions, set in motion by their hand.

No Justice, No Peace, .....No unity young man.

November 8, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  10. chuck

I was listening to CNN/YOUR MONEY when Christine Romans said Obama has got his GREAM JOB and it's time for you to get yours.Now let me say I have never seen a bigger idiot on CNN than Christine Romans.Obama cannot do anything until he's sworn in on January 20 2009.If Christine Romans cannot speak something sensible then she should be in Alaska with the other idiot Sarah Palin. That would be a good pair for SNL.

November 8, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  11. Rich Lady

How I wish George Bush would attempt to pretend that he cares about our economy. What is this guy doing?

November 8, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  12. SHIZ

To anyone who believes Obama will change everything & those who believe he will change nothing I would caution you to wait. The new president has alot on his plate, & things that you may want him to get done quickly will have to wait awhile. I am happy that he has made clear that things he wants to do may not be done in his first year. As an Obama supporter I tell you this: change will come but it will take time.

November 8, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  13. Joe Daley, Chicago

Can any of you smart people give us an idea when President 0bama will give us the one thousand dollars that he said he would give us if we voted for him?

November 8, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  14. Gonna be a loooonnnng 4 years

What's he going to do about illegal immigrants? Like his aunt who just fled Boston for Cleveland to avoid ICE

November 8, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  15. Hussein

The monkey speaks.

November 8, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  16. Obama Democrat

Go Barack!

November 8, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  17. 3strikes

preyed on the weaknesses of the united states to his advantage (e.g.,
    weak economy, high unemployment rate, 2 yrs of pandering 'hope'
    and 'change' which he cannot and will not bring, saying he'll create
    new jobs). cannot believe he suckered over 65 million simple minded
    people to vote for him, and non-stop praising of this false prophet.
    defend your messiah, nobama democraps

November 8, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  18. Anonymous

great! That needs to be his first priority!

November 8, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  19. Texas Teacher

It won't be easy... and it can't be cured over night.... but I think if Obama can't fix it, no one can! I respect the man. I think he is a leader to be proud of!

November 8, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  20. Chris San Francisco, CA

He's not MY president. He expects those who voted against him to support him? Sure, I'll support him like liberals supported Bush. At least future White House resident (not my president) Obama will provide some humor for the late night hosts.

November 8, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  21. Jesse in Maryland

While I did vote for McCain, I'm still proud of what Obama's election says about our country. I'm just hoping that President Obama will govern like the centrist of his presidential campaign, and not the liberal of his previous voting record. He is president of all Americans, not just the Democrats and/or the people that voted for him. I will say I'm optimistic at this point, though.

November 8, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. Billy Bob, New Orleans

Where's Obama's aunt??? Has she been deported yet???

The woman is an illegal immigrant living in Public Housing at taxpayer
    expense. Get her out.