November 9th, 2008

Calif. governor says he's allowed 'back into the bedroom'

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger says his wife has been 'gloating' about Barack Obama's win.

(CNN) - Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said that even though his party didn’t win the presidential election, he has at least one thing to be happy about.

“I can get back into the bedroom, so there's the big advantage,” the California governor said Sunday on CNN’s “Late Edition.”

Schwarzenegger, a leading Republican, is married to Maria Shriver, a member of the very Democratic Kennedy clan.

Shriver endorsed Barack Obama in February, just days after her husband announced his support of John McCain.

Schwarzenegger said his wife has been “gloating now for these last few days” and running around the house with a life-size cutout of Obama saying, “We won.”

Striking a more serious tone, Schwarzenegger said he doesn’t see how any incumbent party could have held onto power this year, given the economic situation and the housing crisis.

“I think no one knew that it's going to be that bad. I think the Republicans were trying to hold on to, you know, if it would have been just the housing crisis or the mortgage crisis. But then when the stock market crash came, I think it was just too much,” he said.

Looking to the future, Schwarzenegger said that Democrats and Republicans should come together and avoid getting stuck in ideology.

“Democrats and Republicans should do everything they can to help [Obama] and his administration to be successful, because when he is successful … then the nation is successful. And then the world is successful. So, we've all got to work together on this,” he said.

Filed under: Arnold Schwarzenegger • Extra
  1. Jaye

Sorry Arnold... you, like many republican talking heads, made a complete fool of yourself and should be ashamed.
    You people shamed our country by sliming and slandering your way across the United States trying to get McCain and Palin elected.
    Never once did any of you consider our country – you only considered your party winning.
    I have NO respect for any of you.

November 9, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  2. jt

I cann't believe this guy....what a....

November 9, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  3. bryony1

CLINTON November 9th, 2008 6:35 pm ET

"....LAWS AREN'T EXCLUSIVE TO ANYBODY… IMAGINE! WE WOULD HAVE SPECIAL STREET LANES & HIGHWAYS FOR DRUNKS, LEGALIZING EVERY NARCOTIC AVAILABLE FOR EVERYONE, OH AND FOR PROP. 8 SUPPORTERS, IF IT HAPPENS WHY NOT A PROP ALSO FOR MINOR-UNDER 18 MARRIAGE & FAMILY INCESTUOUS MARRIAGES AH???"

First, QUIT SHOUTING! Second, all same-sex couples want is the legal rights and recognition of those rights for their union. What do these things you mention have to do with that? What a bigot, and what a nasty mind!

November 9, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  4. tanoulin

I agree. The only way we're going to make this country stronger is for BOTH sides to compromise for the good of the country, not for themselves.

November 9, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  5. Tom

Uhhhh, a little too much information, thanks very much.

November 9, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  6. FOR OBAMA

What I think is going on in the Schwarzenegger household is a great example of how Democrats and Republicans must work together to get things done. If Maria didn't let Arnold "back in the bedroom" communication would cease in their household which would be unfortionate for both parties. By implementing a little give and take it leaves options open and allows further discussions and negotiations to find the middle ground. Why can't Washington work the same way.

Also, to Diana,

I am an African American, pay my mortgage and pay for my gas no matter what the price is. I'm getting really sick of people like you who try to hint that all African Americans are is a bunch of lazy people who just want handouts and to be able to break the rules. Read some history, we built this country and continue to do so. What you imply is nothing but a racial slur and you should learn to be bigger than that. And don't worry, I just paid my mortgage and bought a tank of gas; both of them I paid for from working hard and earning a paycheck; like most African Americans.

November 9, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  7. maria

Ravensun
    Ok I am confused, Are you saying that supporting Obama makes me a racist? Against whom? He is half black and half white. SO which race am I being racist against? Or are we in denial that he is half white?
    I don't believe that those who supported McCain are racists, but I am sure some are.
    Just like I believe that some who voted for Obama , did so because they see him as black.
    Just not I. Since I truly comprehend, like most who voted for him, that he is just as white as he is black.

November 9, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  8. Chae

Maria Shriver and a lifesize cutout of Obama... One of them is dangerously thin and the other is made with cardboard.

November 9, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  9. Griff

Arni! Wolf Blitzer! Popie the Pope's Visit to America... Germans.... Adolf??? America when will you learn.... Europe have you in their Pocket.,.. Now they don't need you.... The World Bank, as far as you are concerned has switched places, to Europe... The Euro will be the next World Currency.... The American Dollar is obsolete! By America! You never learn... My Old Country and the BBC, never stop talking about how did not come into the War, untill you could steal Germany's Nuke/Know how.... America is Finished... Now with Borak Obama's lack or World Afairs.. You will go in Half the Time.... Kwaheri America...

November 9, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  10. Seattle Sue

Maria has more sense than Arnold, that's why she is a Democrat.

November 9, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  11. Foxwell

Hmmm

I am glad Obama one, but come on, Arnie's comments about his legs were funny. Mostly because it isnt true. Actually, obama works out and MCCain is not really that fit.

November 9, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  12. EZV

Dear Terminator,
    You may a tough guy and a action hero, but you do not know anything about women. Next time agree with everything the wife says and keep your mouth shut. That the best way to avoid being SOL.

November 9, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  13. Herself

The election is history, albeit shattering history. Can we now agree to work together to return the United States to a place where it is respected and admired? It will take each of us to do this, so let's get over our differences and put it all together for our next generations. All that is necessary is for each of us to step back and make a serious attempt to pull together. I think that we can do this. As the young man's sign in Grant Park said, "We Have Overcome". So...let's get it done!

November 9, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  14. Nunya Bidness

Here I thought he was refering to government getting back into the privacy of our bedrooms.

November 9, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  15. CLINTON

LOOK bryony1, I'M NOT SHOUTING, I'M WRITING, AND I CAN WRITE WHATEVER & HOWEVER I WANT YOU RETARD JERK

SECOND, IF YOU SUPPORT PROP 8 GOOD FOR YOU, THERE ARE OTHER THOUSANDS WHO LIKE ME THAT ARE AGAINST IT OK?? YOU GAVE NO ARGUMENT AT ALL TO YOUR COMMENT, PEOPLE ARE FREE TO DO WHAT THEY WANT AND DON'T NEED A LAW FOR IT LIKE HOMOSEXUALS

November 9, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  16. A Republican who voted DEMOCRAT -NJ

To "FOR OBAMA"
    AMEN AND AMEN. THIS COMING FROM A "MIDDLE AGED" WHITE WOMAN WHO IS SICK AND TIRED OF THE WHOLE THING. WE ARE ALL HUMAN BEINGS. WE BLEED THE SAME. WE HURT THE SAME. DO I NEED TO GO ON? MY BEST GIRLFRIEND'S NAME IS JIM. ONE OF MY BEST FRIENDS IS A BLACK (AWESOME) WOMAN. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE "SKIN HEAD" MENTALITY. THIS IS 2008, ALMOST 2009 – GET OVER IT AND GET OVER YOURSELVES. FAR AS I KNOW, THERE IS ONLY ONE WHO SITS IN JUDGEMENT AND IT IS NOT US.
    I AM SO PROUD OF OBAMA. I AM SO THRILLED THAT, IN MY LIFETIME I CAN SAY THAT I WILL HAVE A BLACK PRESIDENT. I WISH I COULD AFFORD TO GO TO THE INAUGURATION.

November 9, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  17. MATT WIILL, W-S N.C.

HIS REMARKS ABOUT OBAMA'S LEGS, ETC WAS UNCALLED FOR. HE FORGOT HOW OLD HE IS NOW AND THE WAY HIS PUNK A__ BODY LOOKS NOW. HE DID NOT HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WHEN HE GOT STARTED. HA HA ON HIM, THE REP. DID NOT WIN. NOW FOR JIM THAT MADE THOSE STUPID REMARKS. ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT YOU IS THIS. WHO CARES IF YOU DON'T SUPPORT OBAMA! HE IS IN THE HOUSE CLOWN!!!

November 9, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  18. A_Young_Turk

AHHHHNOOLLD!!!

You know you love Obama :)

November 9, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  19. EZV

Dear Terminator,
    Lessons learnt: Whether you are a governor or just an average bozo like me, the best way to keep the bedroom door opened is to never challenge the wife's positions. The wife is NEVER wrong.

November 9, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  20. Anonymous

good approach.

November 9, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  21. Sly

Dear Mr. Governor,
    Attacks on Obama reached the lowest point in presidential election history when you attacked Obama’s physique and body figure at the McCain rally in Ohio. How would you have felt if McCain's physique were also attacked? See how dirty that would've been ??? Also was also an insult to the American people for you to have suggested that at this day and age, even any average American, let alone Obama for that matter, would want to drag America to the old socialist regimes of old Europe – the reason you gave for running away from Europe some 40yrs ago – which of course was all lies. We all know how and why you came to America. Lucky you, you have achieved the American dream and now you want to bite the hand that fed you. And over 40 long yrs later I can't still understand you properly when you speak English. Unfortunately some Americans still live in the virtual world of cinema – reason why they elected you into office. One thing for sure, since you made fun of the fact that Obama had to put some meat on his "skinny legs" as well as "on his policies", the truth of the matter is, you are the one who needs some red meat in your brains, then I guess you'd be 100ft taller.

November 9, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  22. Kyle

Talk, talk, talk, but what about the travesty? He has NOTHING to say about civil rights for Gay America. It's your state Arnold!!!

November 9, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  23. BBlack

How soon can we replace Arnold with a Democrat – so he can go back to making movies and we can get someone who actually knows how to get California out of this fiscal mess.

As an aside – every year the State cuts funding to our schools and our teachers get layoff notices – then local districts get to hire some back. First they're not paid enough and Second – there is no job security – no roots – who would want to become a teacher these days.

November 9, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  24. tammy anderson

To all you Democrats.....

WE"LL BE BACK!

November 9, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  25. Mike G. Los Angeles

Hopefully California'a pain will be over in 2010 no more celebrity Governor & if Cali is such a Democratic state to have a Republican as the governor because people were star struck haha suckers, Next up in 2010 Governor Viarigosa.

November 9, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |