November 9th, 2008

Calif. governor says he's allowed 'back into the bedroom'

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger says his wife has been 'gloating' about Barack Obama's win.

(CNN) - Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said that even though his party didn’t win the presidential election, he has at least one thing to be happy about.

“I can get back into the bedroom, so there's the big advantage,” the California governor said Sunday on CNN’s “Late Edition.”

Schwarzenegger, a leading Republican, is married to Maria Shriver, a member of the very Democratic Kennedy clan.

Shriver endorsed Barack Obama in February, just days after her husband announced his support of John McCain.

Schwarzenegger said his wife has been “gloating now for these last few days” and running around the house with a life-size cutout of Obama saying, “We won.”

Striking a more serious tone, Schwarzenegger said he doesn’t see how any incumbent party could have held onto power this year, given the economic situation and the housing crisis.

“I think no one knew that it's going to be that bad. I think the Republicans were trying to hold on to, you know, if it would have been just the housing crisis or the mortgage crisis. But then when the stock market crash came, I think it was just too much,” he said.

Looking to the future, Schwarzenegger said that Democrats and Republicans should come together and avoid getting stuck in ideology.

“Democrats and Republicans should do everything they can to help [Obama] and his administration to be successful, because when he is successful … then the nation is successful. And then the world is successful. So, we've all got to work together on this,” he said.

Filed under: Arnold Schwarzenegger • Extra
  1. BK

Peter (CA)
    .. that phone conversation was all over the news..

November 9, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  2. Jorge

I love Rush Limbaugh!

November 9, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  3. WC

I've always like Arnold's personality, which is probably what got him elected in a heavily Democratic state. Unfortunately I also tend to think of him as a Democrat in Republican clothing much of the time. But to the point I disagree deeply disagree with helping Obama be successful. His success (in an unholy alliance with Pelosi) means that we move many more steps towards becoming the USSA....United Socialistic States of America. He didn't run to "save" the country. He ran to push a very liberal agenda which I, for one, will oppose with every means I have. Have we already forgotten his "redistribute the wealth" slip of accidental honesty?

A large majority of the moderates who voted for Obama are going to be very surprised at what they have unwittingly created. Just remember everyone, you can still oppose him. He's not the true Messiah....really!!

November 9, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  4. betty

everybody seems to forget that Obama is also white& may not care what he is. As he is an American so everyone it is time to GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 9, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  5. debb17055

Would anybody care to know the truth? Senator Barack Obama agreed to discuss public financing with his eventual opposing candidate.
    After a grueling campaign with Senator Hillary Clinton using her own funds, Senator Obama was smart enough to analyze what he needed to do to be a viable candidate.
    What the MSM has FAILED to admit is that Senator McCain also tried to OPT OUT of public financing. The reason he was not approved is because the majority of the board members were not present, therefore his request was rejected (day late and a dollar short).
    In all honesty, you couldn't pay me to sit through a speech by John McCain! He is a horrible speaker "my friends". That is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. Listening to him for four years would be worse than prison. Yes, there is a god!

November 9, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  6. Marilynn

Exactly right. That's why he's the "Governorator". Listen to him, Harry Reid!

November 9, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  7. Ben

Geez. You can take the guy out of the trailer park (or whatever the German equivalent is), but you can't take the trailer park out of the guy.

November 9, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  8. Sylesh

CNN is so biased. The Left Wing Media is driving me crazy. They even try to make the governor seem foolish.

November 9, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  9. Lilarose in Bandon-by-the-Sea, Oregon

Arnie

WHY don't you seriously consider becoming a Democrat?

You think like one most of the time, and this way there will be continuous harmony in your home!

I can't believe you are STILL a Republican!

November 9, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  10. Guy

That's right California's back into everyone's bedroom.

November 9, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  11. Barbara in NC

I couldn't care less which room he sleeps in – HA.

CA is in worse shape than the rest of the country. Hope he's held accountable.

November 9, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  12. gerri

I cant wait to get Limbaugh of the air waves.

November 9, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  13. Ida Makled

I like to tell Arnold Schwarzenegger, skinny legs is better than muscular body with no brain or manners like you. Shame on you Arnold I've never thought you'll be this low by making fun of President Obama's legs.

November 9, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  14. mississippi librarian

diana, I believe that you are lying. I do not believe that you witnessed the conversations or incidents that you are posting here. When I first read what you said, I immediately thought of the mccain campaign worker who carved the 'b' in her own face. Stop spreading those lies because there are people out there dumb enough to believe you!

November 9, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  15. gene

There certainly are a number of weak minds here arguing over Democrat this and Republican that. As a citizen of California I also note a number of bloggers more interested in debating skinny legs than trying to understand the state's deeply embedded financial mess. Hey you proposition crazy Golden Staters, you are the problem...not Arnie.

You have voted yourself bond issue after bond issue year after year thinking it is free money...that it won't raise taxes. Well guess what, California now has a THIRD OF A TRILLION DOLLARS of bond indebtedness and you just voted for about 13 billion more. How can any legislature manage a budget when the kids in the candy store eat more than half of ithe tax revenue up with debt payments.? Got two words for you childish voters: FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY! Learn it! Practice it! And worry Obama's skinny legs some other time.

November 9, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  16. catmom

Diana, get a grip!! There are plenty of rude people in this country both Black, white, yellow and brown. Rude is rude so stop trying to make something out of nothing.
    As for all you that want to condemn Obama before he is even sworn in, get over it. The past 7 + years of George Bush were not good. He is walking away without holding any responsibility for what his policies have done to this country. You all continue to moan and groan about what you think Obama might do, how about asking Bush who is still the President to do something for this country instead of leaving a mess for Obama to muddle through.

November 9, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  17. DB25

Gross.

November 9, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  18. Thanks America

Arnold, let it go. All of you Republicans just let it go and support President Obama. This is America not some whiny third world country. Man up America!

November 9, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  19. sandee in Portland

Diana, I agree with you, but to base your comment on 2 people is certainly unfounded. The majority of Obama's supporters are college graduates and of all races, hispanic, asian, african american and caucasian (white folk to you). The point you were trying to make is simply not true. While I'm sure there are some uneducated people out there that think the government is now going to give them a hand out, it's simply will not happen.

This is like my basing that all republicans are racist and believing them when they said Obama was a terrorist. I certainly don't believe that. A lot of campaign rhetoric was spewed toward dishonest statements and half truths. Thankfully, most people are too smart to believe these things and did their research to see what was true and what was false.

November 9, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  20. Thomas

I am so sick of the partisans on both sides (and yes you Democrats, you have many partisans) who cannot work for the betterment of this country. The Governor comes out, as have many republicans, and says let's all work together and have success no matter the "party" in leadership, and all you partisan bloggers (and presumably many idiots in political leadership positions) immediately start throwing arrows at the other party saying they will never be able to work us. You are the ones who need to look in the mirror. You are the ones who are a problem for our country. I disagree with President Elect Obama on many positions, but I know that he wants, like I want, the economy to recover and be successful, to America to be the world leader (which I acknowledge has been lost under the Bush administration), for our children and grandchildren to have the freedoms and opportunies, indeed more opportunities, that we have had in our lives. I believe President Election Obama will work hard for these things and I think many Republicans will work with him to achieve them. I hope the partisans on both sides grow up and do it now!

November 9, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  21. MS

I like Arnold Schwarnezdenegger because his criticism during this election was never cruel, mean-spirited, immature, or unprofessional. He seems to have decided to put american first and his party second. I wish this could be said about more republicans. Hopefully, Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska and the other republicans will follow Arnold's example.

November 9, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  22. Matt

IT'S NOT A TUMOR!

November 9, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  23. Thomas

Carol, see you are playing the partisanship. Looking for every comment to be spun in any way possible. Do you immediately jump to condemn President Elect Obama's comments about Nancy Reagan, which were not only out of line but completely wrong since it was Senator Clinton who went down that road? He acknowedge they were wrong, but even that he did not need to do in my view–because it was a joke. Lighten up. No more whining. No more partisans. Let's make this country great in every way and quit thinking that we are the only ones that can be right on any given issue. It is pathetic.

November 9, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  24. Jeff

Sure they can try to work together but i doubt much will be compromised on the republican side, good thing the dems still control the house, senate and now the presidency..maybe now something can actually get done!

November 9, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  25. Nathan

Arnold is another Republican hypocrit. He stated during the campaign that the country couldn't afford Obama while talking about taxes. Then he gets back to California and says he's going to raise taxes. These people are something else.

November 9, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |