November 9th, 2008

Calif. governor says he's allowed 'back into the bedroom'

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger says his wife has been 'gloating' about Barack Obama's win.

(CNN) - Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said that even though his party didn’t win the presidential election, he has at least one thing to be happy about.

“I can get back into the bedroom, so there's the big advantage,” the California governor said Sunday on CNN’s “Late Edition.”

Schwarzenegger, a leading Republican, is married to Maria Shriver, a member of the very Democratic Kennedy clan.

Shriver endorsed Barack Obama in February, just days after her husband announced his support of John McCain.

Schwarzenegger said his wife has been “gloating now for these last few days” and running around the house with a life-size cutout of Obama saying, “We won.”

Striking a more serious tone, Schwarzenegger said he doesn’t see how any incumbent party could have held onto power this year, given the economic situation and the housing crisis.

“I think no one knew that it's going to be that bad. I think the Republicans were trying to hold on to, you know, if it would have been just the housing crisis or the mortgage crisis. But then when the stock market crash came, I think it was just too much,” he said.

Looking to the future, Schwarzenegger said that Democrats and Republicans should come together and avoid getting stuck in ideology.

“Democrats and Republicans should do everything they can to help [Obama] and his administration to be successful, because when he is successful … then the nation is successful. And then the world is successful. So, we've all got to work together on this,” he said.

Filed under: Arnold Schwarzenegger • Extra
  1. scott morley

I was stunned with this remark about the bedroom. Why is CNN even interviewing this miscreant? He's a cartoon.

November 9, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  2. BSide Beast

Go Maria....we earned the right to gloat.

November 9, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  3. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

Wise comments - when the president is successful, we are all successful - I hope other Republicans follow this wise lead. Nothing can happen when partisanship forms a blockade.

November 9, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  4. proud voter

hahaha! bi partisianship at it's finest : )

November 9, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  5. wiiliam quick MD

I believe a bipatisanship approach to the problems of our nation is the only we have a chance to work through our many deep problems and mobilize the creative and positive forces that have always been a part of our history. The thing that disturbs me is that when the republicans win, whether it be a slim victory or not, I never hear a call for bipartisanship. The republicans seem to always rule as if they and only they have a mandate, and to heck with working with anyone else. It is time that this division of the country for political gain is at least tempered and BOTH sides pledge to some form of bipartisan approach.

November 9, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  6. allen

This guy has to go. He swept in on the coat-tails of a gov recall and has been totally ineffective in fixing california's own financial crisis. This man does not have the brains to solve the problem that he said he would. It is time to end this ridiculous republican experiment in "kindergarden government" and restore the party that governs best–21st century democrats have the answer–not regan era movie actors.

November 9, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  7. virginia for obama

Arnold, you got the nerve to talk about Obama's skinny legs. At least he can talk eloquenly and people can understand what he is saying.

November 9, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  8. Kasey

There are some things I don't need to know and this is definitely one of them!

November 9, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  9. Courtney H

Man, the vitriol in these comments an be depressing. Did you guys listen to anything Obama has said the past 2 years. I was an Obama supporter from the beginning and life-long Democrat and I think we need to cut the rancor. This does not make any of us look better and will only make governing more difficult. Obama's platform was premised on reaching out to everyone, whether they agreed or not. That doesn't mean not forcefully pursuing his agenda, but it does mean permitting everyone to be involved in the process, and forcing all sides to take ownership in the solution. Thats the only way these big challenges will be solved.

BTW, having moved to Cali, it is still surreal to see Conan as the governor. Still, he has been a very serious politician who takes the bipartisan thing seriously. Too bad the housing crisis vaporized the state's budget.

November 9, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  10. bruce FORMER REPUBLICAN FROM MA.

Hey Gov...

Your wife was keenly aware of a couple of things (a). women if they so desire and all act together can and will rule the world...(b) its an old sports addage... no nookie on game night and it has been game on since your wife made the correct (vs saying the RIGHT) decision on the presidential race...be nice to her Gov. and I'm sure that she will
    remember why she married you and why you make her happy.

Yup, its that old(69yrs)-retired-white guy from Ma. Former Republican

Bruce

November 9, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  11. thebear

I don't really think it is a stock market crash yet, and I think the "crash" is sort of just the cherry on top of lot of other problems.

November 9, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  12. RED,WHITE,BLUE FINALLY GREEN.

ARNOLD IS TRULY BI-PARTISAN STARTING IN THE BEDROOM (HE IS MARRIED TO A DEMOCRAT) BUT WHEN I HEARD HIM TALK ON THE CAMPAIGH,I THOUGHT WOW, "A TYPICAL REPUBLICAN MORON" AND WITH THAT SAID,MEN WHO DRAFTED OUR CONSTITUTION BARRING PEOPLE LIKE ANORLD FROM RUNNING WERE TRULY GENIUS.IT HAS BEEN SAID THAT PEOPLE WHO WROTE UOR CONSTITUTION WERE A BUNCH OF GENIUS BUT PEOPLE WHO ENFOCE IT ARE IDIOTS AND MORONS.

November 9, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  13. mark

How come when the Republicans win, even by the barest of margins, it is a mandate to do whatever they want and when Democrats win, it is everyone needs to come together? Anyone else find this odd?

November 9, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. Joyce, Kentucky

I heard Arnold's speech on the stump for McCain. Does he regret saying Obama needed help building up his skinny little chest and skinny little legs. The croud went wild!!! This is supposedly an intelligent man (Governor). McCain's campaign was so terribly stupid from beginning to end. Has the Governor no shame in thinking this was a political speech. I was ashamed for him. Hopefully, Arnold along with McCain/Palin will not be heard from anytime soon. Maria, you are a lovely lady. You have my sympathy. Go Obama

November 9, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  15. mitch

everytime i watch 'predator' or 'terminator' ,from now on, i'm going to remember the hateful comments he made about president barack!

November 9, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  16. Phil Newton in Murphy, Oregon

So the voters aren't the only ones getting lucky, eh Gov?

Good words, and here's to bipartisan cooperation - in EVERY aspect.

November 9, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  17. ebn

Dakota of Lake Stevens–I received a message from an old friend who actually lives in the same town as you. I had been racking my brains on how I can get across to him why I chafe at the religious right that the Repub party has become–without offending him. as he is a very strong Christian. You put it very well and I wish I could've had you around when I replied to his message. The Repub party has just seemed to become more of an exclusive club where you must have the right credentials in order to be a member.

November 9, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  18. Sammy

Make no mistake, Arnold is a republican. But he is not a Bush republican. For example he is not adverse to wanting a tax raise to help fix a budget deficit. Nor does he want drilling in CA. Oh and lest we forget, he did cancel on the republican convention because of the budget problem. How many other republican governors would have done that?

November 9, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  19. Andy

If the Republicans really want to help they should just resign and hand it over to the Democrats. Under GOP rule it's war, unemployment and recession. Under Democrat rule it's peace and prosperity. Even Arnold a Republican has ran California into the ditch.

November 9, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  20. Ah nold is a Girlie Man

Arnold talked a lot of smack at that Columbus rally against President -elect Obama.

Nobody told you to go mouth off against our man. Furthermore, what good did it do? He won California, he won Ohio, he won Virginia, he won North Carolina. You have no juice Arnold so let's see that "girlie-man side" tough guy.

Just like Lieberman ... Arnold will have to make ammends .... it's not personal ... it's just business ... and the business is politics....

November 9, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  21. elvera

Who cares what Schwarzenegger said? I have always disliked him but after he made fun of Obama’s physical appearance during McCain’s rally, I cannot stand him. Barack Obama looks like Michelangelo’s David as compared to Schwarzenegger. Schwarzenegger looks like huge bulldog without lipstick. His muscles (thanks to steroids) do not make him good-looking or smart. I wish he would continue to play cheap roles in cheap movies and leave politics alone. Doesn’t California have somebody with brain to be their governor?

November 9, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  22. citizenABC

Hats off to Maria Shriver for staying true to political sense and savvy.
    Seriously, they are both the best in seeing that a leader with bi-partisanship goals will = a winning leader for us all.

I praise God that Obama was elected by such a mandate. Let's all get behind our new leader - for all of our good.

November 9, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  23. Trena

Totally tacky and disrespectful comment. Not funny.

November 9, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  24. former gop

What I find astounding about my governor is that he stumped for a guy the majority of the people he's supposed to be representing were against. He's a self-promoting egomaniac. I did not vote for him, but people I know who did, did so as a joke. Remember Gary Coleman was on the ticket, too. The guy's a joke.

November 9, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  25. DOH!!!

HEY GOVERNOR SCHWARZENEGGER- When you're through ruining California, can we have our state back please?

November 9, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |