November 9th, 2008

Calif. governor says he's allowed 'back into the bedroom'

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger says his wife has been 'gloating' about Barack Obama's win.

(CNN) - Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said that even though his party didn’t win the presidential election, he has at least one thing to be happy about.

“I can get back into the bedroom, so there's the big advantage,” the California governor said Sunday on CNN’s “Late Edition.”

Schwarzenegger, a leading Republican, is married to Maria Shriver, a member of the very Democratic Kennedy clan.

Shriver endorsed Barack Obama in February, just days after her husband announced his support of John McCain.

Schwarzenegger said his wife has been “gloating now for these last few days” and running around the house with a life-size cutout of Obama saying, “We won.”

Striking a more serious tone, Schwarzenegger said he doesn’t see how any incumbent party could have held onto power this year, given the economic situation and the housing crisis.

“I think no one knew that it's going to be that bad. I think the Republicans were trying to hold on to, you know, if it would have been just the housing crisis or the mortgage crisis. But then when the stock market crash came, I think it was just too much,” he said.

Looking to the future, Schwarzenegger said that Democrats and Republicans should come together and avoid getting stuck in ideology.

“Democrats and Republicans should do everything they can to help [Obama] and his administration to be successful, because when he is successful … then the nation is successful. And then the world is successful. So, we've all got to work together on this,” he said.

Filed under: Arnold Schwarzenegger • Extra
  1. ashton

i dont get why you guys like to bash palin when this thread has nothing to do with her.
    get over it.

and for arnold.
    id so vote for him to become president.

you go boy.
    i wish.

November 9, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  2. Jeane

Right on, Arnold!! You rock!

November 9, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  3. AC, Atlanta

Really offended at Arnold's jokes, are we?
    I didnt vote for Obama, but he is soon going to be our President and for that I will support him and wish him the very best.
    I will even go one further than many of his staunchest supporters on this Blog and say I think he can handle the jabs and the jibes well enough; it is part of the game he knows full well. Just read his book.

As the President of Change, I am making a formal request for him to help Lieberman in this transition.
    It takes a lot of courage, inner strength and conviction to do what Joe Lieberman did, in a time where challenging the status quo is the most popular verse in town...until someone actually does it.

One of the reasons I didnt support Obama is his promise to bring a sweeping, but undefined change, to Washington. I thought he was full of it from day one.
    Well, on November 4th, his words got him his wish.

President-elect Barack Obama has my support. Making good on his promises would earn my respect.

November 9, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  4. Joi

@facts are facts....
    You do realize that the Democrats have a majority in the House and the Senate?

November 9, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  5. jameika

You owe her big time; upgrade the ring................

November 9, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  6. Boricua4Obama

I betcha he's a closet Obaman :)

November 9, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  7. Hilary, CA

You're funny, Arnold, but I'm still mad at you for wanting to cut state employees' salary by 5% for the next 19 months. I don't care about the 2 holidays you want to take away, just don't take our money. That'll only hurt the economy in the long run.

November 9, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  8. Curtis

You go Maria!

November 9, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  9. Diana

I am one of many republicans who wishes our new president well.. (unlike the screaming and legal action that was taken by the democrats when their candidate didn't win as well as the legal action being taken after a fair CA vote around prop 8.. but I digress).

I am concerned that some of Sen Obama's followers have unrealistic expectations though because of two different instances that I witnessed the day of the election and after. On election day, I heard an African American woman talking on her cell phone who said that soon, when Obama won, I "won't have to worry about my mortgate or worry about paying for gas". ... huh?!

The other instance was also an African American woman whom I saw standing in a grocery line with two items behind a couple with a full cart the day after the election. They saw that she had two items and offered for her to go in front of them. She walked in front of them without thanking them or even acknowledging their gesture and said loudly "pretty soon, I'll always be first in line"..

If this is what the Obama followers really believe.. God help us!

November 9, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  10. Art Michaelson

Thank God I do not have to listen to that shrill banchee voice of SARAH PALIN. She should have her mouth washed with strong soap to cleanse her of all the lies and disinformation she has been spreading around these past two months. And for using contributors hard earned money ($150.000) to put fancy clothing on her back and that of her imediate family. That is the way to spread the wealth. Take it from you and give to me.

November 9, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  11. R Wolf

I don't know how you people can applaud Arnold. He's ruined the state of California, it's in a mess, and his jokes are crude. While he was out helping McCain (some help) the State of California is billions of dollars in debt, state workers are being laid off, and the Federal Courts are ordering billions of dollars to be spent for upgrading prison hospitals while tax paying citizens are losing their health care benefits. What a mess!

November 9, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  12. Diana

I am one of many republicans who wishes our new president well.. (unlike the screaming and legal action that was taken by the democrats when their candidate didn't win as well as the legal action being taken after a fair CA vote around prop 8).. but I digress.

I am concerned that some of Sen Obama's followers have unrealistic expectations though because of two different instances that I witnessed the day of the election and after. On election day, I heard an African American woman talking on her cell phone who said that soon, when Obama won, I "won't have to worry about my mortgage or worry about paying for gas". ... huh?!

If this is what the Obama followers really believe.. God help us!

November 9, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  13. pam Eugene OR

This will only work if we do it together. I voted for Obama and am very happy but he can't do it alone.
    Goof for you Arnie!

November 9, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  14. Rick Smith

What a scream those two are married.I can picture her running around the house in front or him with that life size cut out of Obama. lol "Can't we all just get along" has been proven possible.

November 9, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  15. CLINTON

TO JACK ABOUT THE PROP. 8: WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH YOU GETTING INTO THE BEDROOM WITH YOUR PARTNER????

LAWS AREN'T EXCLUSIVE TO ANYBODY... IMAGINE! WE WOULD HAVE SPECIAL STREET LANES & HIGHWAYS FOR DRUNKS, LEGALIZING EVERY NARCOTIC AVAILABLE FOR EVERYONE, OH AND FOR PROP. 8 SUPPORTERS, IF IT HAPPENS WHY NOT A PROP ALSO FOR MINOR-UNDER 18 MARRIAGE & FAMILY INCESTUOUS MARRIAGES AH???

November 9, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  16. Nita

Ca. is almost out of business, thanks to Arnold, before he made the new budget for us, he made sure everyone on his staff got nice raises, and it did not bother him one bit that people who live on S.S.I., can't pay their bills as it is, he is going to find a way to get their money. He should be in Bushes house and get out of politics when bush leaves the white house, he has run Ca. into the ground more ways than one.
    We need him OUT!!!

November 9, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  17. Duop in Colorado

The Governor is funny.

November 9, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  18. CLINTON

EVERYONE WHO THINKS HE MADE FUN OF OBAMA SHOULD GET OVER IT, THE MEDIA HAS TARGET HIM MANY TIMES ABOUT HIS AGEING BODY, I HEARD MANY JOKES LIKE THE ONE HE NOW HAS TO USE A 38-C

November 9, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  19. Kenneth

Hey Jamie,

Sorry, but you can't call him anti-American if America voted for him. The President IS America. I guess that just makes YOU anti-American!

November 9, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  20. Ravensun

OK, who is going to come out and say that everyone supporting Obama SOLELY BECAUSE he is a mixed-race male of partially-African lineage is racist?

People are so quick to jump on the "you didn't vote for him, so you must be a redneck racist a$$hat" bandwagon.

Racism is a TWO-WAY STREET, people. WAKE UP.

If President-Elect Obama REALLY stands for change, he will come out and say that as well.

November 9, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  21. A Republican who voted DEMOCRAT -NJ

THE GOV IS NOT FUNNY. HE IS A JERK. TMI. WHO CARES ABOUT HIS "BEDROOM". WITH A PUBLIC COMMENT LIKE THAT, HE CAN STAY THE HECK OUT OF THE BEDROOM. WHAT A STUPID THING TO SAY. WELL........SHOULD WE BE SHOCKED? HE LIKED PALIN.

November 9, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  22. RC

Sounds like Arnold is against Proposition 8 now. It'll be different the next time he comes up for re-election. I know I sure won't be voting for him again.

November 9, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  23. elaine Concklin

AC from Atlanta:
    Agreed, Obama made a lot of promises but Liberman has done the
    bi partisan WALK. We will now see if Obama earns our respect and
    I do believe the American public will give him their support for
    we are the UNITED States of America.
    Elaine

November 9, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  24. A Republican who voted DEMOCRAT -NJ

TMI GOV. WHO CARES ABOUT YOUR BEDROOM.

November 9, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  25. dorfnair

Diana, I think what you have witnessed is the tip of the iceberg and I agree, God help us!

November 9, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |