November 9th, 2008

Obamas, Bushes to meet at White House

President Bush and first lady Laura Bush will welcome the Obamas to the White House on Monday.

(CNN) - Barack and Michelle Obama will get a tour of their future home Monday as they meet with the Bushes at the White House.

President Bush and the president-elect are expected to hold a meeting in the Oval Office, while first lady Laura Bush is expected to show the incoming first lady around the property.

Bush has pledged to do everything he can to make sure the transition is smooth.

Obama said he does not anticipate any problems Monday, adding that he is “gratified by the invitation” to meet with the president and his wife.

“I'm sure that, in addition to taking a tour of the White House, there's going to be a substantive conversation between myself and the president,” he said at a news conference Friday.

“I’m going to go in there with a spirit of bipartisanship and a sense that both the president and various leaders in Congress all recognize the severity of the situation right now and want to get stuff done,” he said.

The head of Obama’s transition team, John Podesta, said Bush and Obama will have a lot to talk about.

"They need to cover a broad range of issues, from national security affairs, where we are on homeland security. But I think he'll also want to spend a good deal of time on where things stand on the economy."

While Obama has sought advice from other presidents, the White House press secretary predicts Bush will exercise restraint.

"I don't think that President Bush will be presumptuous in trying to talk to Barack Obama about how he makes decisions, or how Barack Obama should make decisions. I think that the President probably will share how he's made decisions and some of the things that he feels are important," Dana Perino said.

The courtesy tour is a historic formality. Monday will mark the first time since 1988 that a Bush has not hosted or been hosted by a Clinton.

1. Now I can Believe in Change

Cool. Well I am happy that Obama is getting a feel for the White House. He earned this victory and all those who voted for Obama, we just took back the power that Bush has had for so long. For those that didn't hopefully you will come off your high soar horse and relize that all the wants to do is make your life better. Lets all work together. Stop all the hatred and evil and make this country better.

Go Obama/Biden, you helped me believe in change!

November 9, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  2. Support Our President

If the Republican party ever expects to rebuild, it may want to try something different. Jettison the right wing nut jobs and move closer to the center. Clearly, there are not enough of your 'base' to keep you in office indefinitely.

And the next time try being honest instead of lying and smearing. I believe that even some Republicans got tired of all the nonsense. The conservative ideal is not really bad, but you people need to be a bit less rigid and more caring. Your absolute arrogance and stupidity was the gift that kept on giving.

In the meantime, thanks for handing this wonderful young man the presidency and giving our country a fighting chance to survive.

November 9, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  3. beth

oh my! why all the vile talk? if you dems don't get it together and quit bashing everyone you will most certainly cause the Obama presidency to fail. when he can't deliver on his promises you will go after him.I'm not bashing Obama , but nobody could turn this economy around as fast as you like.

November 9, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  4. Dave

One thing about W he's a very nice person just a bad president.

November 9, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  5. Susan

Best wishes to the Bush & Obama meeting.

November 9, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  6. Sandra L. Reed-Mansfield Ohio

Most Americans, like myself, are glad that the election campaigns are finally over, though I guess some are not as happy as I am, because I voted for Obama. Now if only those "political pundits" would take a long vacation. Bush is still President and will be until Jan. 20, 2009. Why don't they use their long winded idea's ("Obama needs to do this and Obama needs to do that") on what needs to be done to help that lame duck administration correct the failings of the last 8 years before President elect Obama has to waste valuable time unraveling the mess Bush created and hopes to ease out of responsibility for in the next two months? Surely, those pundits and the media, including CNN, knew what was happening throughout these long 8 years, even if the public did not. I never saw any hard -nosed reporting until Obama chose to run for President and now you hope to dump it all in his lap. Didn't you know there was no WMD, when Bush proposed it? Many did and were silenced.

November 9, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  7. mitch

bob: 53% to 46% is a landslide! not to mention electoral. barack has a mandate ,and you'll have to live with it. the good thing is it will be better for you.

November 9, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  8. Mason

Obama needs to listen attentively to everything Bush has to offer.

November 9, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  9. Joe

Tanyia, you are and idiot

November 9, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  10. Ron , West Coast

44 to 43 , " Thanks , but no Thanks "......
    You can`t possibly expect Barack Obama to stoop down to the level of Geo. W., do you ? I presume a person could learn to be somewhat of a literate thinker , but it would take someone with exceptional acting skills to " Dumb themselves down " to the level of an embicile the likes of Geo . W . , or as he`s commonly known as , " Dubya` ".......

THE IDIOT......

November 9, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  11. MK

Clinton and his staff removed the "w's" from all the keyboards and made fake office signs that read "office of strategery" because Bush was such an idiot he actually said those very words. It was a telling sign of the blunders to come, one oldies but goodie, "I know you work hard to put food on your family", that one is my personal favorite.

As far as pardon's go, Bush could pardon his whole criminal staff but my guess is that Scooter Libby will be getting a pardon soon. He committed treason, remember? He outed a CIA agent, a covert agent. He endangered the lives of everyone surrounding her and placed all covert agents at risk. Shame on all of them. Pardon or not they all have to answer to a higher power when they meet their maker, as will all of you bigots who spew hate for Obama. If your God is the same God we all have then you would realize the color of a man's skin is no reason to hate.

I am looking forward to Obama having a long and prosperous 8 years in office.

November 9, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  12. JNC, California

dude, you are a dud!!! Get a life!!

November 9, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  13. csr9902

I am most hopeful that this will be a smooth transition. I hope that one day those McCain supporters will see why we voted for Obama.

November 10, 2008 06:04 am at 6:04 am |