November 10th, 2008

Poll: Bush disapproval ratings reach new record

Bush meets with Obama at the White House Monday as his disapproval ratings reach a new high.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – As President-elect Obama visits the White House, a new national poll suggests that the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is the most unpopular president in the six decades since presidential approval ratings were first measured.

Seventy-six percent of those questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Monday disapprove of how George W. Bush is handling his job as President. That's an all-time high in CNN polling, or in Gallup polling dating back to World War II.

"No other president's disapproval rating has gone higher than 70 percent. Bush has managed to do that three times so far this year," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "That means that Bush is now more unpopular than Richard Nixon was when he resigned from office during Watergate with a 66 percent disapproval rating."

Prior to President Bush, the record holder for presidential disapproval was Harry Truman, with a 67 percent disapproval rating in January of 1952, his last full year in office.

As Obama visits the White House, 57 percent of those questioned think the transfer of presidential power will be relatively easy and free from tension, with 39 percent saying the transition will be difficult.

"A majority say that the transition from Bush to Obama will go smoothly, although nearly one in four predict a lot of tension between Bush aides and Obama aides in the next few weeks. That sentiment is highest among Democrats, but even among them, a majority believes that the transition will be relatively easy," Holland said.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation Poll was conducted Thursday through Sunday with 1,246 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

1. chuck

I am amazed that this IDIOT still has an APPROVAL RATING of 24% of the American people.He should be sitting at an APPROVAL RATING OF 0%. What has George Bush done for America?

November 10, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  2. Jazz

When you cheat to get what you want, it does not benefit you in the long run. Always be true to yourself and others even it you have to make adjustments. At least you are honest.

November 10, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  3. Ian Minneapolis, MN

I'm sure it will go smooth. I bet Bush wants nothing more than to get out of the white and stop being president. He probably hates his job. I'm everyone that sees him yells and boo's him. I would. If I ever saw him on the street....I can't even imagine.

November 10, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  4. Gary, Detroit

chico in VA

In order to eat humble pie you have to have a conscience. And George W. Bush has no conscience. He is a socio-path.

November 10, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  5. LaJuan

He never got my vote! Disapproved then and NOW!!!

bye dubyah!

November 10, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  6. We finally got who we wanted!!!

Congratulations President Bush, you;ve been named Worst President EVER!!! History won't change a thing. They are who we thought they were, a bunch of MORONS!

November 10, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  7. Don

Some seem to forget. Bush wasn't elected by the people in 2000....He lost by over 3 million votes......He was put in office by the Supreme Court....

November 10, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  8. Robert

I agree withChuck... only history can judge what the Bush has done... for good or for evil, whether he was stuck in a situation for which he was left little choices, or if he put the US in deep doodoo... for now, we can only see the tip of the iceberg.....

"Chuck November 10th, 2008 12:08 pm ET

Not even worth a comment. History will tell the truth about the Bush / Cheney kingdom."

November 10, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  9. dwayne1523@yahoo.com

Surprise!

November 10, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  10. Steven, Edmonton,Canada

With all due respect to republicans,

President Bush is the driving factor behind the complete and udder failure of the policies behind privatization, and as the leader of the United States is solely responsible for all the corruption and lack of oversight of the financial system which will and is the ruin of many of your own citizens and people around the world.

Hopefully with Bush leaving office, the United States can regain its dignity and respect not only as a military juggernaut, but as a economic consciousness to help your country and others prosper and move forward.

November 10, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  11. Ramen Dude

Unbelievable!!! These polls are biased! Perhaps it would have been fair and balanced if FOX news did the polls? hehehe...

November 10, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  12. Peter (CA)

Brooke and Jerome–

Get a clue. Obama seems more presidential in 6 days than Bush has in most of his eight years.

Guess sour grapes are in season.

November 10, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  13. MissyRiver

Even though I am a Democrat I don't think all of the blame goes to Bush and in these comments I have been reading – only in America can you publicly condemn your leader. I think they are written by alot of immature and disrespectable people. You don't go around condemning people – I realize that our country is in a mess and hopefully with the new administration it will get straightened out.

November 10, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  14. Robin in SC

The only thing surprising here is that 24% still approve of Bush. Are these employees of his administration about to be unemployed?

November 10, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  15. Boni T.

I missed the first depression, but what we are going through now is uncomfortably close. How can George expect a better approval rating? He should be happy that it is not worse. But – he did not do it alone.

Let us hope and pray worse comes to better in the next 4 years and better becomes best in the next 8. Let us pray for our country and the leaders thereof.

November 10, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  16. Brian from Fort Mill, SC

George Bush's new theme song:
    "Take This Job And Shove It!"

November 10, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  17. Frank the Tank

As a moderate to conservative republican depending on what issue comes down the barrel, I'm discouraged by the amount of comments on the forum directing comments such as ignorant, moronic, and stupid. To disagree on issues is one thing, but to come out hateful in victory is going to compound the problem. I've watched the Republican power slip over the past ten years and now see a full Democratic structure. Sometimes grace in victory carries you far in politics, the anger on these forums from both sides isn't a healthy dialogue but rather a collection of "moronic" attitudes... Treat your power well, more change may be coming in the distant future...

November 10, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  18. Christopher

Poor Bushie

November 10, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  19. Tom in Delaware

Wow! The only people lower than Bush are the Democraticaly Controlled Congress, followed by the Mainstream Media...I guess that's not newsworthy though, huh?

November 10, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  20. Craig

Even so, Mr. Obama needs to be wary of hidden piles of dung that will not produce their worst effect until someone gets close enough to be blamed for them. I would suspect that George's most graceous early invitation does not come without strings attached. I am guessing that George is really working hard to determine how fast he can dump the hot potato that he has in his hands and to see if there is someone that he can get to take the blame.

November 10, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  21. jm for sc

I sincerely wish people would come together and give this a try. When I think about Obama's acceptance speech, I know he does not want people to see this administration as red and blue states or democrats and republicans, his wish is that we would all come together for a common good. I can relate to that, because that's how it should be. Together we stand but divided, we all will fall.

In the spirit of President elect Obama/Biden

November 10, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  22. GA for Obama

Matt..three words for the RIGHT-WING ZEOLOTS!- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Btw, what do Jimmy Carter and Obama have in common besides both being Dems? HUH?!

November 10, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  23. Jack

14%, Sweetie? Apparently, you've been sleeping since last Tuesday.

November 10, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  24. S, Miami, FL

Proud to say I didn't vote for him – both times! So for these last 8 years, my motto has been "don't blame me, I didn't vote for him".

November 10, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  25. Pamela

The other 34 percent must be his relatives!

November 10, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |