November 10th, 2008

Bushes welcome Obamas to White House

President Bush and Laura Bush welcome Barack and Michelle Obama to the White House on Monday.

(CNN) – President Bush and first lady Laura Bush welcomed President-elect Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle Obama, to the White House on Monday afternoon.

Bush and Obama held a private meeting in the Oval Office, while the first lady gave the incoming first lady a tour of the residence.

The president and president-elect walked together along the colonnade by the Rose Garden before entering the Oval Office together. They briefly waved to reporters along the way.

Obama and Bush were not expected to speak on camera following their meeting.

An aide to Obama said they were "going to let the pictures speak for themselves."

The two met in the Oval Office for just over an hour. When President George H.W. Bush hosted President-elect Bill Clinton after the 1992 election, the two talked for nearly two hours.

Monday's meeting was a historic formality, but it was also a time for serious talks. It marked the first time that Obama has visited the Oval Office.

Full story

1. Youtubby

I love Michelle's dress. Hated the DNC acceptance speech dress, hated the election night dress, but absolutely love this one. Its very very elegant. Kinda like the one she won when Barack won the nomination in Minneapolis. I dont think she should confine herself to solids only but she and her stylist need to choose the right prints. What she wore on Leno wasnt bad, what she wore on the View wasnt bad either. So far her MN dress is my # 1 fave, followed by this red one she wore today !!!! (Yeah, i know there are more important things to be thinking about, but this takes my mind off my dwindling 401k)

November 10, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  2. boered1

es November 10th, 2008 4:41 pm ET

the way nobama got into the white house was pandering to the american public about "change and hope", preying on the weaknesses of america, e.g., weak economy, high unemployment rate, bringing of new jobs. he ended up getting over 65 million simple minded people to vote for him, disgusting and nauseating

I suppose he should have done it the way bushie did? By having the courts give him the nomination without regard for the will of the people?

idiot McCain was pandering far worse "drill baby drill" "no more earmarks" "give money to the rich they will bail us out" "fight in Iraq we cannot leave or else we would have to admit we never should ahve went there" and then topped it with lies and inuendo.. nope I will take the one who garnered the most votes bu Americans who looked into the issues, I will support President elect Obama!

November 10, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  3. Kathy in Florida

Michelle looks great..

November 10, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  4. Change Girl.......California

MRS. Obama and Mr. Obama looks FAB!!!! I bet she didnt spend over 150k For the Outfit :):):)

November 10, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  5. Khan from Star Trek

Jill, MN November 10th, 2008 4:30 pm ET

Dear BW,

I care and so does 52% of America.

Uh, maybe your using the new math, but McCain DID NOT win 52% of the vote

November 10, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  6. That Other Jerry

This is an iconic picture of the current and future leaders of the free world and their spouses, and the first black President-elect of a country that was once a bastion of African slavery. The English language lacks the capacity to express the depth of moronic stupidity possessed by the alleged homo sapiens who somehow have managed to cobble together enough functioning brain cells to make a comment on the color of their clothing.

November 10, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  7. Faith Restored

Be forewarned...the epitome for some of what is acceptable "beauty" in the White House is being made over like the winds of change in intelligent leadership. I'll admit that I haven't been crazy about everything soon to be First Lady Michelle Obama has worn throughout these last 21 months, but believe her attire will become more in tune with her new position as a national figure and the wife to our president in a new and even more realized becoming way to the first woman of color to grace the rose garden. Don't look for Michelle to be placed into a an "accetable" box by some's limited views and standards because as you can see she is not blonde, in need of a tan, or a size 2 who needs to eat a biscuit but a statuesque, lovely brown skinned, woman of comfortable grace which comes naturally as does her smile and charm. I'm looking foward to what style trends our new First Lady to be will be attributed with and can't wait to see her knock everyone socks off with the elegant reinvention she will go through which will only enhance that of her wonderful husband and our soon to be president. The world is waiting for the Obamas and embrace them they will.

November 10, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  8. Glenn in California

Quite a contrast between old and new. It's also striking how much taller the Obamas are. How tall is he anyway? I think Bush is 5'11", so that puts President-elect Obama well over 6'.

November 10, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  9. America The Beautiful

Beautiful picture, beautiful way we transfer power peacefully.

America wins today.

November 10, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  10. Croatian in America

Love the dress !!! where do I get it ?

November 10, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  11. Lou in Iowa

Michelle looks drop-dead gorgeous! If only most American women looked as good in their clothes as she does!

November 10, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  12. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Bush and Obama met to discuss ongoing policies and actions by the U.S. So who explained it to Bush?!

And will Laura be giving Michelle tips on how to run down ex-boyfriends and get away with it?!

What a contrast – two younger well-eductated, well-healed lawyers of merit and fearless "Jet-Pilot" and his "Stepford Librarian" of a wife!!!

November 10, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  13. Anne, GA

Can we stop talking about Michelle's dress? Just stop it. Her dress is fine, and the country will be fine under Barack's leadership. Get out of the sandbox people. We have bigger issues to discuss to get this country back on track.

November 10, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  14. Allen In North Carolina

As I read this blog..... I'm seeing comments on how these people are dressed...... Have you people lost your ever loving minds?...... People are losing their jobs, homes everything they have and all you silly people can comment on is their clothes?..... Who gives a rats @ZZ what they have on..... Most of these bloggers should be banned for being so stupid and petty..... I could care less if they had on burlap sacks.... I just want a job.... To be able to buy the food I want to eat.... To be able to buy health insurance...The most of the comments I read should never even be read by anybody but the stupid people that write them......

November 10, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  15. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Barack Obama is 6' 1-1/2" tall and Michelle Obama is 5'11" tall.

November 10, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  16. Don

I agree with the comment about vashing Bush. I never voted for him and lord knows he made huge mistakes in many of our minds. However, he is the President of the United States and deserves our respect. Obama will also be President and for those of you who have issues, he is still to be respected because of this office. The office of President is beigger than the man. I give Bush and Laura much credit today. They have been nothing but gracious. From reading the blogs here today it seems that Obama's main message did not get threw to his thick skulled supporters. Its time to end the fighting and work together. I am sick of the Hillary bashing, the Palin bashing, The McCain bashing and yes...the Obama bashing. Grow up America. Respect the President current and future...if you don't like em...vote em out in 4 years.

November 10, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  17. Valerie, CA

Michelle is getting better, at least she doesn't have on that brown and white horizontal stripe dress, yuck.

Anyway, I'm more interested in her husband's leadership than her sense of style.

Congrats to the Obamas.

November 10, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  18. Michael, Houston Texas

What a beautiful site. President Elect Obama and the new first lady.......at thier new home. Wow, it just amazing. I'm so proud of you President Obama, I know you won't let us down. We have no where to go but up and I know you will get us in the best possible position as a country and as a world leader.

November 10, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  19. Sandy

MIchelle always dresses so nice. And she does it by shopping in stores real Americans shop in.

November 10, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  20. Desmond Sequeira

Barack Obama has the support of the world

November 10, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  21. Nancy

Hi! I just want to say,i enjoy watching CNN. I just want to say all you people,like Rick and others are impatience. Please be more patience. I'm talking about President elect Obama. We the people out here,should be more patience. Thank you. Nancy

November 10, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  22. Congrats

I agree. Unfortunately Barack dresses better than Michelle. He's the guy, she should be on top of her game and she's not. I voted for them, but she can not dress. I'm surprised because she's from Chicago, aren't they as stylish as New Yorkers?

November 10, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  23. Luis

Laura – Did you start packing yet? Maybe you should try Mexico, they're very welcoming there unlike we receive Mexican immigrants here.

November 10, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  24. EqualBranchesofGovernment

It's a first!!.........No Karl Rove or Scooter Libby in the White House while a Democrat is visiting!!!

November 10, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  25. Terry B.

I wonder what is really going through George W. Bush's mind? It has to be so surreal first watching yourself being replaced on national T.V. then meeting the person who is to replace you in person...

November 10, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |