November 10th, 2008

Former Clinton adviser to make run for governor in VA

Terry McAuliffe has been laying the groundwork for a gubernatorial run.
Terry McAuliffe has been laying the groundwork for a gubernatorial run.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton’s former campaign chairman filed papers Monday forming an exploratory committee to run for Virginia governor.

Terry McAuliffe was widely expected to make his decision after Election Day. The former Democratic National Committee chairman will now do a 60 day listening tour of the state.

In September, McAuliffe hired longtime Virginia political consultant Mo Elleithee to start planning a possible statewide campaign, should he decide to run. Elleithee spent the last year working alongside McAuliffe in the Clinton campaign as a senior spokesman, but in recent years he has also helped steer Tim Kaine and Mark Warner to signature Democratic victories in Virginia.

Should he run, McAuliffe will face off in next year’s Democratic primary against state Sen. Creigh Deeds and State House Rep. Brian Moran. Virginia’s Attorney General Bob McDonnell is expected to run for the Republican nomination unopposed.

Filed under: Terry McAuliffe
  1. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

GOOD LUCK, TERRY, WE NEED GOOD MEN IN OFFICE, AND YOU'RE ONE OF THEM!!!

November 10, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  2. Candy West Virginia

Um, who cares? This man i have no respect for and hope he crawls back from under the rock he came from.

November 10, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  3. longhorns4life

if he runs the same kind of negative irrational campaign that his boss runs, i hope he looses

November 10, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  4. Christopher, Louisville, KY

Wasn't contributing to sinking Hillary enough for this weasel?

November 10, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  5. Ms. Jenny

I hope he won't be the only Dem running, because I can't stand this guy. As a rabid, completely-detached-from-reality supporter of Hillary, he told more lies in a week than most people do in their entire lifetime. Don't get me wrong – I'm more happy to be a Democrat than I have been in years. But THIS Dem? Sorry, he's someone we can definitely do without.

November 10, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  6. Donkeys have long Memories Too ...

Boy I could really lay into McCuallife after the way he conducted himself against my man Barack but I will invoke the 12th Commandment ... though shall not MINDLESSLY SLAM other Democrats.

Isn't Tim Kaine a 1st term governor? Why is McCaullife running at all? Is he going to be opposing a sitting Democratic Governor?

Is Kaine headed for a cabinet post? What gives?

November 10, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  7. WILL

EWW!!! This guy is the worst DEM I know of second to Joe Lieberman!!!

I hope there's another Democrat that will run against him cause he is horrible.

November 10, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  8. PDX Gal

Fun stuff. Cognative dissonance is so often expressed in the nastiest, most hateful ways.
    Anybody that wants to blame the Clinton Administration for things that happened well into Bush's time in office is lying to themselves.

Insulting me won't change that, but the insults are coming in 3... 2...

November 10, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  9. Chut Pata

If it had not been for the dirty campaign of this guy, Hillary would have been our VP.

On the bright side, he dug all the dirt about Obama and left nothing for Republicans. LOL. So give this guy a break.

November 10, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  10. Virginia

Good grief! Another Clinton rat running for office. Give us a break in VA–I would rather have Tim Kaine than this, and I didn't even vote for him!

November 10, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  11. Spencer/VA

This guy has got his head stuck up his rear. Jus becuase he's a democrat doesn't mean we'll vote for him. Us Virginians are happy with Gov. Kaine and we're not looking forward to replacing him anytime soon. I love VA. We have a democratic governor and two deocratic senators. McAuliffe needs to step off.

November 10, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  12. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

If he is as successful in running for Governor as he was in being Hillary's chairman for her campaign, he should do very well.......I'm sure that Virginians can't wait to vote for his opponent.

November 10, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  13. ObamaPresident

Why are the democratic leaders letting this idiot run for Governor I hate this guy I hope he loses, sad to say but I would rather see republican governor that to see this lying idiots elected.

November 10, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  14. Laverne

If he will run VA like he help run Hillary's campaign, he won't have any problems losing!

November 10, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  15. Spencer/VA

He doesn't even look like he's built to be governor here. Unless he can come up with some laws that need to be overturned in Virginia, such as allowing convicted felons to vote, he can kick rocks.

November 10, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  16. Mark, B'ham., Al.

Terry is definitely a partisan hack and he is definitely not a social or fiscal moderate and Virginia he will take your guns if elected governor. If you believe he is a moderate then you must beleive Nancy Pelosi is a moderate.

November 10, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  17. Virginia

To Donkeys have long memories.....In Virginia, governors can only serve one term, and run again later if so desired. Tim Kaine can go too, but I will take him over Mcauliffe any time.

November 10, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  18. Ian Minneapolis, MN

Voted for Obama, but there are too many democrats in power....america is about check and balance....we saw what happened when one party ruled the first 6 years of the bush admin....lets not let it happen again.

November 10, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  19. Mike, Syracuse NY

Glad to see Hillary and Obama supporters back at each other again. That honeymoon sure didn't last long.

November 10, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  20. Janey

I feel a little bit better about the country knowing that the Clintons are propping Obama up. He is smart enough to learn from them and it sounds like he has accepted that they will still be the decision makers. I am happy to hear that he has ditched some of his far-left expectations.

November 10, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  21. Kathy, Richmond, VA

Virginia Governors cannot serve two consecutive terms, so he will not be opposing Tim Kaine.

November 10, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  22. Tom in CA

Terry's just too partisan. I doubt that VA democrats would nominate him. If they did, then the republicans would gain the VA governorship quite handily.

November 10, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  23. julie

@ Donkeys have long memories:

Virginia term limits their governors so Kaine can't run again. Not sure how I feel about McAuliffe – I'm sure there are better Dems in the state.

November 10, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Barack Obama does not represent America. For gosh sakes hes putting all the Clinton people back to work in the whitehouse. Didn't he get the message that Hilary lost. Why inflate the egos of the washed up Clintonians including idiot Al Gore by giving them positions. Oh well it does not matter to me. I'm a republican.

November 10, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  25. Truth Hurts

Tiny Terror Terry running for governor goes to show that leadership ability or talent or brains is not required to win or run for office. You just have to be a member of one of the parties that own this country.

What a sad place America has become over the last week.

Truth Hurts