November 10th, 2008

Former Clinton adviser to make run for governor in VA

Terry McAuliffe has been laying the groundwork for a gubernatorial run.
Terry McAuliffe has been laying the groundwork for a gubernatorial run.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton’s former campaign chairman filed papers Monday forming an exploratory committee to run for Virginia governor.

Terry McAuliffe was widely expected to make his decision after Election Day. The former Democratic National Committee chairman will now do a 60 day listening tour of the state.

In September, McAuliffe hired longtime Virginia political consultant Mo Elleithee to start planning a possible statewide campaign, should he decide to run. Elleithee spent the last year working alongside McAuliffe in the Clinton campaign as a senior spokesman, but in recent years he has also helped steer Tim Kaine and Mark Warner to signature Democratic victories in Virginia.

Should he run, McAuliffe will face off in next year’s Democratic primary against state Sen. Creigh Deeds and State House Rep. Brian Moran. Virginia’s Attorney General Bob McDonnell is expected to run for the Republican nomination unopposed.

Filed under: Terry McAuliffe
  1. Ron , West Coast

Sit down Terry, you`ve been a loser ever since after your wins with Bill Clinton .
    You`ve been on a losing streak for a long time , we dont need anymore losses in our colume ...... We democrats want winners in our posse , so take a chill pill , and just " Rest Your Neck ".....

November 10, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  2. Babs

he did such a great job for Hillary ... go for it.

November 10, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  3. Lee B, Virginia

Dear god no.....Someone who played a part in sinking Hillary's bid is not someone I want as my governor. Hopefully Mr. Kaine recruits a better democrat.

Virginia governors are limited to one term in office.

November 10, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  4. Anna, Missouri

It is interesting that Virginia does not allow their Govenors to run for a second term. They must sit out at least for four years before running again. Personally, I have mixed feelings about this, but it would definitely help to keep them from getting too much power that would be built up over time.
    As far as Terry McAuliffe goes, I think he will find that he will do better behind the scenes of campaigns. It might be interesting to watch as he has to deal with the slams that will come at him.

November 10, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  5. keeth in california

No, no, no, no, no, please, no.

November 10, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  6. Richard in RVA

Governors are limited to one consecutive term in Virginia – which is why Tim Kaine will be leaving office in 2009. (They can, however, sit out for a term and then run again if they choose.) The article mentions a couple of other potential democratic nominees. I would encourage Virginians to take a serious look at Creigh Deeds. From what I know of him, he's incredibly decent and already has my support at the early stage of the game.

November 10, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Epic fail. His campaign tactics are suited for our neighbors to the West. No chance he makes it out of the primary.

November 10, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  8. Bill

Go Macker!!!!

November 10, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  9. Milhouse van Houten

Is this supposed to be some sort of surprise?

November 10, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  10. MLH

Virginia can do better than this. Sorry, Terry, but the campaign that you ran for Senator Clinton showed your character, and did her no credit.

November 10, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  11. Virginia BLUE!

Terry's got my vote! He will be an excellent follow-up to Mark Warner and Tim Kaine!

November 10, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  12. Bruce

No way....He should stay out of it...

November 10, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  13. JAN

Travis,
    Apparently this Donkey now gives "TERRY" the MIGHTY GREEN LIGHT...Yay! The next Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe!!

November 10, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  14. worriedmom

I think Mark Warner was a great Governor however Tim Kaine has done nothing for Virginia. We are in debt which never happened with Warner and Kaine is so wrapped up in the Obama thing and waiting on his place in the Cabinet that he has forgotton all about Virginia. Washington can have Kaine and the Rude Webb!!! And we don't need
    need this guy in Virginia!! Don't waste your time on a tour!!!!!!

November 10, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  15. Spencer/VA

If Bloomberg can do it in NY, I'm sure Kaine can do it here(I wish). Please no republican and not McAuliffe. I'm becoming fond of my completely BLUE state.

November 10, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  16. virginiamom

He's got a long uphill climb with original Obama supporters. He offended every single one of us with his brutal treatment of Obama during Hillary's campaign, especially at the end, long after she should have backed out. I respect Hillary much more that I do McAulliffe.

November 10, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  17. The Blessed One

I got a kick out of Baghdad Terry during the Primaries. I first thought he was a pain in the behind but as things started to wind down I realized he was just trying to hold the line. I especially found Baghdad Terry funny when he went on Morning Joe with a bottle of liquor ready to drink straight from the bottle.

I say YES to Terry! I will support him 100% !

November 10, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  18. Stephen, Alexandria, North Virginia

"Thanks, but no Thanks" Only a moderate Democrat would win a statewide seat in Virginia.

November 10, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  19. AA

I'm glad John McCain lost. When you have a moderate republican like Charlie Crist or Arnold Schwarzenegger the states turn blue. If you had a moderate republican president the country would turn blue. Its not blue yet. still red in a lot of places.

November 10, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  20. Dan MN

Another professional politician, that would be a breath of fresh air. LOL.

November 10, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  21. CAL

I don't like this loser either. he is all over the place he does not display the leadership attitude I really don't care for him

November 10, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  22. Jeanette Issano

Go terry go! A democratic Governor in Virginia will go a long way in keeping the state BLUE. If Virginia stays BLUEEEEE then democrats will continue to win the Presidency.

November 10, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  23. Bill

To Donkeys have long memories too...

Yes, Tim Kaine is a first term governor, but Virginia law forbids governors to serve two successive terms.

November 10, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  24. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

Terry Mac in Richmond? Might be a tough sell here in the Commonwealth. Moderate Democrats win here and he is more on the partisan side from what I know about him. Senator Elect Warner, Governor Kaine and Senator Webb are examples of "very moderate" Dems.

November 10, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  25. Setys

What about Governor Tim Kaine? I really like him, he was the very first to endorsed President elect Obama.

November 10, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |