November 10th, 2008

Obama to make first visit to Oval Office

President-elect Barack Obama will meet President Bush on Monday afternoon in the White House.

(CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama will set foot inside the Oval Office for the first time Monday as he meets with President Bush to talk about the problems his incoming administration will face.

The meeting between president and president-elect is a historic formality, but it's also a time for serious talks.

The two are expected to discuss "a broad range of issues," focusing on the economy, according to a leader of Obama's transition team.

"It's clear that we need to stabilize the economy, to deal with the financial meltdown that's now spreading across the rest of the economy. The auto industry is really, really back on its heels," transition team leader John Podesta said.

Podesta told CNN's "Late Edition" that Obama will push Congress to enact "at least part" of an economic package before he takes office in January, but said the problems Americans face need short- and long-term approaches.

The president and president-elect also are expected to talk about national security and the war in Iraq.

Full story

1. Maggie in NYS

Kevin – don't you mean 8 years from now? he he he

November 10, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  2. Tom in Delaware

As a man who voted for John McCain I pledge that I will give as much support to President-Elect Obama as the bloggers here at CNN support President George Bush over the next 2 months. Show me by your actions how supportive I should be....I'm paying attention to what you do and say, and that means the MSM as well.

The future is in your hands.

November 10, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  3. Salina

I wish the media would let Obama be for a second. All the media speculation and stalking him and his family is ridiculous!! Leave the man alone, let him conduct his business. The media is hanging on his every word, he can't even take his wife out to dinner without being stalked and probed by the media. Some of it is expected but this is ridiculous.

November 10, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  4. Rob

Bush is a rat. Barack is so superior to this guy, I can't understand how Obama can even tolerate being in the same room with this goof.

November 10, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  5. The COSMOS ROCKS

»Another Historic day for America,indeed.

November 10, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  6. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

@ KAREN: thanks for the tip on the Canadian documentary. Not that we have to see it or even a movie like "W" to know the DISASTER that Bush is leaving!

Bush LEGACY:

Over $10 TRILLION in national debt
    OVER $1 TRILLION deficit!
    OVER SEVEN years in a war, Iraq, never should have fought!
    Etc., etc.!

November 10, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  7. Jamaica Nice

Barack Hussein Obama I pray for you everyday. May god continue to bless you and your lovely family.

November 10, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  8. Omentum

Oval Office 2.0

Now with more intelligence!

Rolls out on 20 Jan 09.

November 10, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  9. Tired of W, OH

This is proof that Obama will indeed sit down for talks with ANYONE. Even a war criminal like Bush.

Jan. 20th can't come soon enough.

November 10, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  10. mary, colorado springs

Despite the formal amenities, I'm sure Obama would be happy to take over right now, and get started on his plans. Another 70 or so days can add insult to injury. Obama's plans are going to set the country in the right direction, and the sooner, the better.

YES, HE DID! YES, HE WILL!

November 10, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  11. Michelle, PA

To his credit, it seems like Bush is being gracious and cooperative about the transition. Eight years is a long time to hold that office, I'll bet he's as happy about his pending retirement as the rest of the world. Here's to a long, happy, and restful private life for President Bush!

November 10, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  12. TJ

Talk about the problems his adminstration will face? At least TWO of the problems are leaving: Bush and Cheney!

November 10, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  13. Joe

Catholic Mom – Over 7 years in Iraq war? We began in March of 2003...perhaps you ought to stick to something other than statistics...idiot!

November 10, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  14. FAITH

I can't wait to see Barack stepping off AIR FORCE ONE...Excuse me I have to go cry again!

November 10, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  15. jt

Bush says he is generous to invite Obama to Oval office, "Generous" Wow,20 % approval rate, eonomy in crisis, job loss in every sector, and Bush feels it generous to invite Obama and talk about economy,and should Obama say thank you, Mr. President Bush?

November 10, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  16. Tolu - Chicago, IL

Hi George,

My name is Barack.. and now that the election is over, I am here to measure the drapes!

November 10, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  17. katiec

It is going to take time to undo all the wrongs Bush and the
    republicans have done to our country and to us.
    Am glad to see President Obama is considering overturning
    some irresponsible executive orders, but, of course the
    economy is going to be the biggest hurdle. It is going to
    take both parties working together for our survival.
    Will this happen? It hasn't for eight years!!

November 10, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  18. Omentum

Newsflash

President Elect Obama is already talking to dangerous leaders without pre-conditions.

November 10, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  19. IowaMom

I've never been a very big fan of Bush and the way he's run this country, but I believe he is a good man and I'm very excited to see how they are both handling this transition so far. When he got choked up last week talking to his staffers, I admit I also got a little choked up.

I do wish all the bashing would stop, on both sides here. I heard someone talk last night and they said yes the President has the power to make changes, but a big part of the change also has to come from the citizens. If we unite and light a fire under all these politicians, imagine what we could actually get done!

November 10, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  20. Ray Fisher

Remembering a line from Sidney Potier's character in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, everyone is enthralled by President Obama's race yet he acts as a man, not as a black man. I think the press should abandon the first African American banter in favor of simply President Elect Obama. The novelty is getting very old as he is dealing with serious issues not related to his race. I'm simply guessing the our new President would prefer America focus upon the content of his message ather than the color of his skin.

November 10, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  21. Headline: Obama's Homeless Aunt to get Lincoln Bedroom

First time in front of the press without a teleprompter and he has to call Nancy Reagan to apolgize!!!!!

All you Sarah Palin haters.......Obama is NOTHING without prepared words for him to read!!!!!

Obama calls himself a "MUTT"...........the racial double standard has already started folks..........hold on for the politically correct express with the first black president in the White House!!!!!!

November 10, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  22. Mark

Ask W. if theres any chance he'd consider retiring a month early??

November 10, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  23. Paradise

****Breaking News, US News****.
    Bush is being Foreclosed on. Eviction notice January 20, 2009. By Order of the Government George Bush and all his belongings should leave the premises of 1700 Pennsylvania avenue, no later than 12:00am on the foreclosed date

November 10, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  24. Errick McAdams

To Tom in Delaware: Like anyone cares what you think.

November 10, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  25. Larry

Why hasn't anybody here explained Obama's "from the bottom up" theory for me,I need to know quickly,I'm out of work.Please help!!

November 10, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |