November 10th, 2008

Obama to make first visit to Oval Office

President-elect Barack Obama will meet President Bush on Monday afternoon in the White House.

(CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama will set foot inside the Oval Office for the first time Monday as he meets with President Bush to talk about the problems his incoming administration will face.

The meeting between president and president-elect is a historic formality, but it's also a time for serious talks.

The two are expected to discuss "a broad range of issues," focusing on the economy, according to a leader of Obama's transition team.

"It's clear that we need to stabilize the economy, to deal with the financial meltdown that's now spreading across the rest of the economy. The auto industry is really, really back on its heels," transition team leader John Podesta said.

Podesta told CNN's "Late Edition" that Obama will push Congress to enact "at least part" of an economic package before he takes office in January, but said the problems Americans face need short- and long-term approaches.

The president and president-elect also are expected to talk about national security and the war in Iraq.

Full story

1. Proud to be American

I wonder if Bush will have to have Papa Cheney with him to explain the mess we are in... no worries though as we do have an intelligent President now that can administer to the issue with logic and good sense... now what a concept hun?

November 10, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  2. Molly B

What is that saying about "beating a dead horse"? Let's quit
    bashing Bush and Mc/Cain/Palin, etc. It's over, thank God.
    Let's just give Pres. Elect Obama all the silent, vocal and
    written support we can. He has a monumental job before
    him. I shall support all his decisions. He is the most
    intelligent man we have had at the helm for years.

November 10, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  3. gerri

I bet the shredders are humming from now till Jan.20.Crooks hate to get caught.

November 10, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  4. Purple Nurple

Jan 20th can not come fast enough. My liberal mouth is watering!!!

November 10, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  5. Marcus Allen

Obama will push Congress to enact "at least part" of an economic package before he takes office in January..."

Congress does not "enact" anything and Bush is President.
    This is what I feared, that Obama is clueless about the American system of laws and he leans more toward the dictatorship model of government.

November 10, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  6. tim

noah
    i don't believe obama believes he is a messiah, but bush certainly though he was a god

November 10, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  7. Arsha, Montreal, Canada

Obama already made history by winning the election; but the history he is about to make will be a briliant one. He will be one of the best, if not the best president the US ever had.

God keep him and his family safe so he can put the US back on the map again as a world leader.

November 10, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  8. Female Voter

You guys know there are crazies out there trying to hurt the Obamas. Why don't you tell your people to tell their people to stop stalking him and his family? Good greif, can the man get into the White House first? The public doesn't need to know his every step.

November 10, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  9. Dewey

The companies that make the Elvis and Nascar collectors plates and coins promising inflation in value (during a recession, hahaha) are already on every other commercial pushing Obama coins and collectors plates. Boy do they know the voters and where to find consumers!

November 10, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  10. sky

I know there are some Republican people who are upset about all this fuss but heres the deal. The rest of us are getting the first full night sleep we have had in 8 years. I really felt like nothing I did mattered. When the country is depressed it's peoples are depressed and in the last 8 years our country has become a nation of overweight, depressed under achievers. No one talks about the emotional and pschological affect the Bush administration has had on our nation but I will tell you what it reminds me of....it reminds me of the short two years I was married to an abusive partner. And now he is gone. When you love your country and believe in its promise and its potential then it is nothing but painful to see that patriotism taken advantage of and watching your country go down the toilet. You bet we are going to make a big deal about this.....as big as possible.

November 10, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  11. M. WINNERS

Off the story line a bit but here's a question that might be of of minor interest to some...

If John F. Kennedy was called "Jack" – a family nickname and term of endearment – by most everyone in the press and his private life, then why can't we call Barack Obama "Barry", his mother's nickname and term of endearment for him?

There's nothing wrong with Barack mind you, just wondering about why we can't (or won't) apply the great American tradition of nicknames to him as well.

Is it because people and the press are afraid of offending him or being call a "racist" over using a family nickname rather than his given Christian name all the time?

Comments anyone?

November 10, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  12. Anne E.

Read quickly, since CNN never posts my comments!
    I trust and hope that Pres. Obama's people will do a thorough sweep for electronic pests. BushCo is not to be trusted any more once they leave office than they've been trusted the past eight years.

November 10, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  13. Peter (CA)

Rick @9:59,

Did you spell all those big words by yourself or did your special ed teacher help out?

November 10, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  14. chuckles199

bush is the reason for obama, plust that goofy old mccain.

let's see obama FIX the economy.

i want my FREE healthcare.
    i wany MY tax cut.
    i want MY mortgage paid.
    i want a BETTER job.

November 10, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  15. Wait...What?

How awkward must that tour be. I don't know which one is worse: The one where Clinton had to show Bush, who stole the election, or this one, because really Obama won by ripping Bush apart in his speeches.

November 10, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  16. Peter (CA)

LIP,

I am looking forward to your first valid insight. I especially love how you completely gloss over the last 6 years. Sure, the Democrats have their hands dirty from Freddie and Fannie but the economy collapsed because this corrupt and evil administration thought it was OK to spend 10 BILLION a month fighting a war to enrich its friends (while cutting their taxes). Oh yeah, and all the while putting it all on the credit card.

If you want to criticizes Obama, go ahead but criticize for some valid reason. That's all we want.

November 10, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  17. Peter (CA)

M. WINNERS

Why don't you ask him? I suppose the President can be called by whatever name he wants. My only issue with "Barry" is that the right wing nut jobs on these blogs used it with derision during the campaign.

November 10, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  18. Hopeful for Tomorrow

@NOAH - The only thing I hear about a "Civilian Security Force" is from extreme reactions by those against the President-Elect, or on unsubstantiated blogs with other conspiracy theories.

As for the community service, even if it is mandatory for students (I've heard conflicting reports) big deal. In order to graduate from my High School it was required that I complete a certain number of community service hours.

And regarding the Obama holiday? You're the only I've even heard mentioning it.

November 10, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  19. Anonymous

I will serve my third tour of duty as medic very soon in Iraq and have voted as a Republican since I was eighteen starting with Regan. Now proudly registered as Independent ! President-Elect Obama is the first Democrate I have ever voted for, and feel extremely optimistic for the future of our country. Good leadership in any organization sets the tone and maintains the atmosphere. Let us hope the tone set by President-Elect Obama is the best for all of the American people and the atmosphere is one that Congress will follow through with great results ! Brian

November 10, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  20. Clifford R. Lee From St. Louis, Mo.

Today is the day for change. I feel that we should give OBAMA the right to be the President, just as we did Bush and every one before him. OBAMA is the man for the job, Because if he wasn't he wouldn't be the ELECTED PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. Give the man some time to do the things he siad he wants to do. I'am a young man that is ready for change. I feel if we the black people of the world don't give OBAMA a change he will not over come the "B S" the world is setting on his shoulder

November 10, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  21. JDC

"So this is where dat Lewinski babe did it!"

November 10, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  22. Not So Delusional

LOL.... Paradise, you're such a knucklehead. The address is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. If you're going to belittle bush, please at least don't look as dumb as him...

November 10, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  23. Mark, B'ham., Al.

I hope there is not another stimulus package, as all the democrats will do is blame the increased deficit on Bush. We need to stop the train before the dollar is useless and we are like Japan doing a 10 year major recession. The Corporate and individual welfare must stop and the dollar strengthed and our national debt cut without raising taxes to cut investment. Also we must still drill since we know that in over 40 years of developing alternative energy we are nowhere near ready to stop our dependence on oil and gas. The drilling threat is the biggest reason for the downturn in oil prices and gasoline prices. Also we still need nuclear power as well as other alternative.

November 10, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  24. Florida Blue State yay

to "nobama".

95% of of African Americans may have voted for Obama, but I fail to see how that is racist.

Considering most of the wealth in this country is held by the richest 1% of americans, I am surprised that 95% of everyone didn't vote for Obama.

Actually I'm not surprised, because I have visited West Virginia, Tennesee, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi, and seen firsthand how racist most of the whit popultaion is there. There is no way Obama was going to win those states.

Luckily he won despite all that, and he can start proving himself to ignorant people like you. It sure is nice to finally have an intelligent President again.

November 10, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  25. Indenpendant Vet

IS HE TAKING HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE ALONG .

STILL NO ONE HAS SEEN HIS ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE .

MEDIA HAS BEEN SITTING ON THIS LONG ENEOUGH.

COME ON SHOW IT !!!!