November 11th, 2008

Bush names his regrets, praises Obama

Bush reflected on his presidency Tuesday.
Bush reflected on his presidency Tuesday.

(CNN) - As his presidency nears its end, a reflective President Bush suggested Tuesday he regrets some of his more blunt statements on the war on terror over the last eight years.

"I regret saying some things I shouldn't have said," Bush told CNN's Heidi Collins Twhen asked to reflect on his regrets over his two terms as president. "Like 'Dead or Alive' and 'Bring 'em on.' My wife reminded me that, hey, as president of the United States be careful what you say."

The interview, aboard the U.S.S. Intrepid in New York City, came after the president addressed a Veterans Day Ceremony.

Shortly after the attacks of September 11, the president said of Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden: "I want justice. There's an old poster out West that said, 'Wanted, dead or alive.' " Bush was also criticized in 2003 for his answer addressing insurgents in Iraq.

"There are some who feel like that the conditions are such that they can attack us there. My answer is bring them on," he said then.

The president said he wishes he had not spoken in front of a "Mission Accomplished" banner he declared an end to major combat operations in Iraq on May 1, 2003. The now-infamous moment occurred aboard the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln only a month after U.S. troops in Iraq were deployed.

Full story

1. axt113

The man who was too stupid for the Oval Office

November 11, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  2. GoPalin

how can you know if he was gracious with the way the media pounded at us over the years "bush is awful!" all the time over every little things. he never got a break.. also there is a study that shows there was an increase in people earning more and more money from 9 percent (under clinton) to29 percent increase earning100,000 or more that number jumbed.. that showed people actually started to earn more money... now that Obama our next president, wait till it starts "it's allObama's fault" but of course our "honorable" media will not allow it to happen, they will model after chris matthew "it is my job to make this presidency a success". all those bush haters, you will look back and say "i miss that low tax cut under bush!" . with Bush, he is the kind of guy you want to take with you when you to battle, he will protect you. i am not so sure about Obama. i wish him luck.

November 11, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  3. G.R.I.T - Girl Raised in the South

I too wish Pres. Bush well. I never voted for him, not even when he ran for governor of Texas. Thanks to the religious right commandeering the Republican Party and the conservative movement, I will never cast a vote for a Republican. I am certain that the next four years will see our nation rise again from the ashes left by the Bush/Cheney regime. While I do think that Pres. Bush would be fun to drink a beer with, I agree with Daniel who stated that Bush chose to surround himself with some truly evil people. If he had run as the centrist he should have been, and hired other centrists, things may have been vastly different. Instead, he chose big business and the military-industrial complex over the needs and the good of the American people he was sworn to serve. Good bye, President Bush, and good luck.

November 11, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  4. Ruby

Well now that he made his money, and all his friends have their money, it's easy to let down the guard, no?

November 11, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  5. USA

He said what?

Wow.

Wow is all I can say.

November 11, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  6. hope

thank you president bush, i voted for you both times, but this time i had to vote for obama, i hope all will work together and get america back on her feet. good luck to you and your family, God bless you and God bless the obamas.

November 11, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |