November 11th, 2008

Can John Edwards make a comeback?

Edwards made hist first public appearance Tuesday.
Edwards made hist first public appearance Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - John Edwards took the stage at Indiana University on Tuesday night for a discussion on the 2008 presidential election, but members of the audience may have had something else on their minds entirely.

After all, this is the former North Carolina senator's first public appearance since his admission of an extramarital affair sent shockwaves through the political world more than three months ago.

The revelation, confirming a months-long investigation by the National Enquirer, was a political bombshell for the former candidate, who espoused moral values during his White House bid and whose wife is fighting a public battle with breast cancer.

Full story

Filed under: Extra • John Edwards
  1. ANA G. LOS ANGELES. CA

LOL NO

November 11, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  2. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Too bad Bush wasn't going to be there, too. I'd be interested in the "line of questioning" from the Indiana crowd to Bush!!!

November 11, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  3. Praetorian

Yes...he can always go back to just being a ambulance chasing lawyer.

November 11, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  4. Helene

I don't care what he does in his private life. If Judas Lieberman can be forgiven for his abject behavior, what about Edwards ?

November 11, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  5. Steve in DC

He without sin cast the first stone...any takers?

November 11, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  6. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Personal to Camille in Richmond, VA:

I'd be interested in your comments on Bush!

November 11, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  7. john

go away john

November 11, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  8. Matthew, PA

This guy lied repeatedly throughout the primaries. Had he ended up winning the Democratic nomination and everything came out, he would have dragged down the entire ticket. He is arrogant and selfish and needs to stay out of public life for good. As someone who once respected him I would never vote for him.

November 11, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  9. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Personal to Forget Edwards: He's a Loser:

The only thing scarier than your post is the fact that you have the right to vote AND reproduce!!!

November 11, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  10. John in NewYork

Unless Mr Edwards is running to be my Brother-Inlaw his sex life is none of my business or my concern. I only care about what his ideas are and how he pursues them and if they would help me. The latter part is debatable but we will see.

November 11, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  11. Jeff W.

What a scumbag. He should just move to an island and never be heard from again.

November 11, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  12. Katie - Atlanta

I don't see why he can't make a come-back. What he did was personal between him and his wife. We don't know what the rules are/were in their marriage. Due to her illness, for all we know, she gave him permission to find another lover.

It's real easy for use to judge someone else's life from the outside looking in. But in reality, it's really none of our business.

I don't condone what he did, but he didn't make any promises to me. So who am I to get angry about it? His wife has chosen to stay with him. If she can forgive him, why can't the rest of you?

November 11, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  13. Ruthless Robin

No way.....it is definitely too soon.....go back to the kennel!

November 11, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  14. Maggie from Virginia

John Edwards is selfish. Not only did he cheat on his wife, he put the entire democratic party in jeopardy. Thank goodness he was exposed prior to the final stages of the election.

November 11, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  15. Kevin

No. Didn't work for John Hoyes, won't work for John Edwards.

November 11, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  16. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

NO. He has lost all respect, by cheating on his ailing wife. He is despicable. He should concentrate on healing his marriage and his children from the pain and heartache he caused.

November 11, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  17. Bushniks

It's great to see the GOPpers complaining here.

That's really all you have left isn't? I'd feel sad if your party hadn't taken us to this place... as it always does.

Check the records on job loss and deficit. The GOP holds all records.

Look it up... unless of course, you are afraid of the truth.

November 11, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  18. Ben Albert

I am life long democrat and a trial lawyer, and even I think any talk of a comeback is ridiculous. One of the best things he had going for himself was Elizabeth's strength, intelligence, and guts.

He's cooked and we've moved on.

November 11, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  19. California Gold

I know Mr. Edwards has a lot to offer politics and I had high hopes he would head up health care reform efforts for the Obama administration, since that is a legal forte, but I think his career in public service is shot to smitherines with the revelation of his extramarital affair while his wife is battling cancer. All the good impressions and goodwill he built in his public life has been destroyed. I wish him the best but prefer that he just go away–quietly (unlike Sarah Palin).

November 11, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  20. Ken - Hudson Florida

Personally, his sex life is his and his wife's business and none of mine. If more people thought that way a lot of non-important issues would just dissapear from the headlines. I believe that if he was good at his job then he can make a comeback, If he wasn't good at his job then he should forget about trying.

November 11, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  21. Blue is my favourite colour

Dear Forget Edwards:

How about we forget Palin and her pregnant daughter and the pending shot gun wedding to redneck Levi (not likely to marry her anyway) her son who chose to go into the military as an alternative to going to prison on a drug charge, forget Todd, the secessionist.

I suggest the country turn the light out on this dimwit from Alaska. She and McCain were handed their heads on a platter in this election, and if you think all will be forgiven with her–you're mistaken.

November 11, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  22. Greg, San Francisco, CA

I liked Edwards but can't any way for him to regain the public's respect. Very disappointed in him.

November 11, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  23. Ex-Republican for Obama

November 11, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  24. Salt

I think the wounds are still a bit fresh.

November 11, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  25. Dave

i hope so.....but i suspect a successful return will require very public support from Elizabeth. if she can "forgive" senator edwards, then the public should too. his affair is a different issue than his public service.

senator edwards is one of the very few voices for the working poor. he understands social computing and the impact it is having on our world and the future of the usa. he understands the education system and had one of the most progressive, yet rooted in reality, platforms for public education.

so yes. time to welcome john back to the democratic party.

November 11, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |