November 11th, 2008

Can John Edwards make a comeback?

Edwards made hist first public appearance Tuesday.
Edwards made hist first public appearance Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - John Edwards took the stage at Indiana University on Tuesday night for a discussion on the 2008 presidential election, but members of the audience may have had something else on their minds entirely.

After all, this is the former North Carolina senator's first public appearance since his admission of an extramarital affair sent shockwaves through the political world more than three months ago.

The revelation, confirming a months-long investigation by the National Enquirer, was a political bombshell for the former candidate, who espoused moral values during his White House bid and whose wife is fighting a public battle with breast cancer.

Full story

Filed under: Extra • John Edwards
  1. No Hillary = No Obama

Let's hope not.

November 11, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  2. The Good Doctor

John, go wash yourself off in some HOLY WATER....then you can Appy for a come back.

November 11, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  3. Kate

I think that the fact he cheated on his wife while she has cancer is pretty low. I was just disapointed that he talked about family and moral values but then would do that. So I don't respect him anymore. But whatever.. he's the one that has to live with his actions.

November 11, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  4. Spencer/VA

Sorry to say this, but No! He lost all credibilty. What would have happened if he became the democratic nominee and then the infidelity charges came up.....the republicans will still be in the White House. I'm glad the incident came up when it did. I believe he can still can serve his country, but running for president is out of the question. Although family matters are not the publics business, he blatantly lied about the affair. He should've used famous quotes such as "no comment," or "I have no recollection of that."

November 11, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  5. bababear

As a wife with cancer whose husband went "shopping" for a younger healthier wife after a marriage of 35 years, I think I can relate to what Elizabeth is going through. Actually the percentage of straying spouses of cancer victims is quite high. At least he is staying with her and seems remorseful. If she can forgive him, who are we to judge. His bedroom behaviour has nothing to do with his abililty to lead (look at JFK) and is really no ones business besides theirs. Lay low, work in the background for a while, then come back open and repentant and you could do it. We need good leaders too much to discard them for something like this.

November 11, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  6. Pat

John, It's time for you to hang up your political career and be good to your wife. You lost my vote when you cheated on your wife.

November 11, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  7. Citizen for forgiveness

I think we should forgive Mr. Edwards. I believe people make mistakes, and a persons past should be just that. I think that people can feel bad enough about their mistakes without always having to deal with what someone else think.

November 11, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  8. Tom

McCain made a comeback after cheating on his first wife.

November 11, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  9. Grog in Ohio

I don't recall Edwards' affair sending "shock waves". Bit of overstatement there.

At some point, this nation will grow up and leave a politician's personal life where it belongs... at home... and focus on whether the person is good for the country or not.

70 days till the end of the Bush administration.

November 11, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  10. Supreme Court

COME BACK DENIED!!

November 11, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  11. randy - denver

To answer the question asked though NO! We had and have enough liars in our government.

November 11, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  12. IntelligenceOverPandering

I am sure he can get right back to whatever he did before, on second thought does anyone know what John edwards does for a living, or for that manner what did he do for a living for the last 4 years.

November 11, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  13. Who R We 2 Judge???

Could John McCain run for President? Why not, anything goes in America!

November 11, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  14. Brian from Fort Mill, SC

Hey, here's an idea. He could run for President again, and choose Joe Lieberman as his running mate.

They could start the "Damaged Goods Party"!

My guess is that they will run against Sara Palin and Joe the Plumber on the Republican side, and Hillary and Chelsea on the Democratic side.

November 11, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  15. ananymous

Absolutely, his personal life is not my business all one should care about is what ideas does bring forward and what he wants to accomplish as an elected official.

November 11, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  16. Al in VA

Edwards is the kind of politician that we don't need. The kind who says one thing and then does another. I hope he doesn't harbor any aspirations of holding an elected office...stick with your charitable ventures John.

November 11, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. Ken in Dallas

Wow. Some of you guys are sanctimonious, moralistic, holier-than-thou blowhards. I understand the trust issues a thing like this can create, but to throw a whole man away because of a transgression that was really none of the public's business is an immoral act.

For those of you who need to thump the Bible to feel important, the lesson on stoning pariahs was:

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

So?

Anybody??

November 11, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. Voter

Just go away. Find an ambulance to chase. You're good at that.

November 11, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. President Obama

You betcha! If Palin can run for VP, Edwards, crack and meth addicts can make a run for VP too.

November 11, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  20. Donna from Colorado Springs

At first I thought No Way. But this country forgave Bill Clinton and he now has the reputation of being a great humanitarian with his work all over the world with Bush Sr. Time will tell how and if he wants to make a comeback in the political arena.

November 11, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  21. David

November 11, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  22. Sabuc in Atlanta

Agree with Steve in DC's comment.

John Edwards has great political ideas. Why should his personal and non-political mistake keep him from bettering this country as a politician?

November 11, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  23. mitch

he's not a war criminal. he didn't abuse power. he hasnt been convicted of 7 felonies. his personal problems are just that. personal. i still remember when he dropped out of the primaries. he announced it while helping in new orleans. he kept working that shovel for nothing except to help.people are so unforgiving sometimes.

November 11, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  24. Pat - Overland Park, KS

I must say I was an Edward's supporter when he first ran for president, but after what he did to Elizabeth and his children I think it best he stay on the sidelines for a great while longer, work on his family and his problems at home before he tries to step back into the political arena.

He let many people down including myself and I am not sure he has a political future.

November 11, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  25. independent now

His affair really hurt him, especially while his wife is so ill. I think people can forgive an affair, but under these circumstances, it is alot harder. Would you at your time of need appreciate your significant othe wandering? He needs to lay low. Poss do some charitable work around the world, maybe help Clinton in his fight against world hunger and poverty. Now is not his time...It may never be!

November 11, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |