November 11th, 2008

Can John Edwards make a comeback?

Edwards made hist first public appearance Tuesday.
Edwards made hist first public appearance Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - John Edwards took the stage at Indiana University on Tuesday night for a discussion on the 2008 presidential election, but members of the audience may have had something else on their minds entirely.

After all, this is the former North Carolina senator's first public appearance since his admission of an extramarital affair sent shockwaves through the political world more than three months ago.

The revelation, confirming a months-long investigation by the National Enquirer, was a political bombshell for the former candidate, who espoused moral values during his White House bid and whose wife is fighting a public battle with breast cancer.

Full story

Filed under: Extra • John Edwards
  1. Michael

As one person already noted, look at the politicians who've cheated on their wives and returned to national prominence:

-Bill Clinton
    -John McCain (who even divorced his wife for a younger more attractive woman)

I don't condone what adultery, and it may be too soon since Edwards made the announcement, but I can't see myself shutting him out forever.

November 11, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  2. hogguy57

Another scumbag demo,cheats on the old lady when she's got cancer.And she still supports him! Both losers!!!

November 11, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  3. kirk in upstate new york

I just don't understand the obsession people have with other people's private lives.

He had an affair – so what!

The thing that cracks me up is that we hang a guy for having an affair – yet we don"t let gay people get married. What are we afraid of – that gay people will conduct themselves like straight people?

Seriously folks – don't we have anything better to do than to worry about other people's sex lives?

November 11, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  4. JR in PA

He is a disgrace. I hope my fellow democrats would take care to remain distant from him.

November 11, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  5. Jackson

Why not? He is a much better candidate than the idiots the GOP hung out to dry last week. I mean if it weren't for Mckaine, the "Keating 5" would have been the "Keating 4". As for PiLon, she's just a Clown.

November 11, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  6. Limbaugh is my Saviour

I love this guy and I love Rush.

November 11, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  7. sorrycharlie

Give it up! Sorry to be flip, but even his support base, of which I was a part, know this just can't and shouldn't happen. I don't want someone with such shady dealings (the money) and foolish arrogance in political office. If he really cares, which I know he does, he'll need to do it in an less conspicuous, ego-stroking (i.e., run for office) way.

November 11, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  8. Max

I think it will say a lot about the media if he does. He was largely shoved down our throats back in 2004 by you guys, and what he did this year was not only reprehensible but largely unnoticed. This man shows poor judgment, and poor character. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him making conflicted decisions.

November 11, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  9. Bubba

Boy, the evil that men do lives after them, while the good is oft interred with their bones. You tried a presidential run with that kind of rattling skeleton in your closet? Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I hear the Repugs are hiring. Tell 'em you just took a wide stance . . .

November 11, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  10. Pack It Up

... and go home John. We've had enough of you.

November 11, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  11. Linda - WI

John Edwards needs to take the time necessary to rehabilitate himself before attempting a so-called comeback into the political arena. People can change but not in three months.

November 11, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  12. jack

We have had enough of him already...had he kept his pants on, he would have likely been Attorney General under Obama, or at least had a seat on the Supreme Court - he would have sailed thru Senate Confirmations for either job and he knew it. Unfortunately, John's johnson did him in...

November 11, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  13. Peg

I personally hope our new president will include him in an area he will best fit... working on a program for the very needy. He spoke loud and clear on their behalf. Any personal problems should be left behind closed doors.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!

November 11, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  14. Josh

Dave Harlo, I agree man that's horrible, cheating on a wife with cancer, that's like leaving your crippled wife for the heiress to a beer fortune or something.

November 11, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  15. aware

Edwards should have fessed up earlier, and we would have had a President Elect Hillary Clinton.

Bill Clinton was the first black president but his skin was white. Now we have a first black president who is white with black skin.

No wonder JJ cried! :)

November 11, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  16. mom for obama

Not that I approve of the affair or lying about it in any way...but others have moved on in the same situation, so why not him? John McCain, Bill Clinton, Prince Charles, and numerous others have had affairs and moved on.

November 11, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  17. Dem in NE

Is Elizabeth standing by him......jury is out, she's been out publically without her wedding ring. But that's their business – not ours.

That said – I think Edwards would've been an awesome Attorney General......but we don't need a scandal for the flailing GOP to grab onto.

Edwards needs to wait about 10 years to get back in the game.

November 11, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  18. Mel

I met John Edwards when he came to campaign at Iowa State University. What struck me about him is how he looked right past people as he was shaking hands. The word that came immediately to my mind was "phony". I guess my first insticts were right. I wouldn't even vote for him if he ran for local dog catcher. Why in God's name do people pay to hear him speak? Is there anything that comes out of this mans mouth that people can actually believe? I think not!

November 11, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  19. Bob Scander

do politicians get any lower ? come on! we can find better leaders! John Edwards go back to being a lawyer so you can defend the low-life people you act like.

November 11, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  20. Oh Yeah??

Adultery is a hurtful thing. Lying is a hurtful thing. He cheated on his wife, yet lied to everyone...all of us...that is it for him.

November 11, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  21. Paula

This Democrat says you are no Obama. Your political life is done-just like Palin!!

November 11, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  22. Sheldon

As a former Edwards supporter, I find it hard to believe that I could muster any support for him once again in the form of a vote. That said, I hope he doesn't just go away because he did do a lot of good work, particularly in the context of ending poverty.

November 11, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  23. Susan

Don't think so.

November 11, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  24. Nobody Asked Larry But...

John, you must be kidding. If not, please get serious and stay home and take care of your wife Elizabeth with the few remaining months she may have left.

November 11, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  25. Freeagent

The fact that he cheated on his cancer-stricken wife tells me a lot about his character. It's not just that he committed a "sin," it's that he apparently does not have control over his actions–that would be a problem as the President of the United States–not that others haven't had the same problem!

November 11, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |