November 11th, 2008

Can John Edwards make a comeback?

Edwards made hist first public appearance Tuesday.
Edwards made hist first public appearance Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - John Edwards took the stage at Indiana University on Tuesday night for a discussion on the 2008 presidential election, but members of the audience may have had something else on their minds entirely.

After all, this is the former North Carolina senator's first public appearance since his admission of an extramarital affair sent shockwaves through the political world more than three months ago.

The revelation, confirming a months-long investigation by the National Enquirer, was a political bombshell for the former candidate, who espoused moral values during his White House bid and whose wife is fighting a public battle with breast cancer.

Full story

Filed under: Extra • John Edwards
  1. freddie

The Party does not need you anymore John...not that we ever really did. No one will ever be able to trust a word that comes out of your mouth. No just that you lied to and shamed your family...but you lied to the entire Country and tried to pull the wool over our eyes. Go away and take care of your sick wife. Politics is over for you...we've moved on.........

November 11, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  2. strong

For Edwards to attempt a comeback, would be laughable.
    Stay home and care for your wife (remember her?), cheater.

November 11, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  3. Barack is hot

The affair is his personal business and totally between he and his wife. There are so many judges out here, it's amazing! I think Edwards has a lot to offer in politics and should be given a chance to come back and fight for the people.

November 11, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  4. diane ca

who cares-–he should concentrate more on his sick wife-

November 11, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  5. Steve

Maybe! Americans have is a forgiving society and what he did, while bad is not the end all the end all. All of us has temptation of the flesh. Remember all those SUNDAY MORNING PREACHERS??????

I thought he would have been an excellent VP candidate for Barack. But now I can see how risky it was for the Obama campaign. No wonder they had to be so cautious. Cause if Obama had picked him as a running mate, and then this came out. McBush would now be the President Elect even with that IDIOT PALIN...

One thing for sure! He will be just fine financially no matter what.

November 11, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  6. Dylan from MN

To Forget Edwards: He's A loser:

All I have to say is, Palin thought Africa was it's own country. ANY person holding ANY type of office should know something that elementary no matter who you are. She has no business being governor of a state and in all honesty the people of Alaska are completely out of their minds for electing her to office...though it doesn't surprise me, since a convicted felon is winning the sentorial race. Disgusting.

November 11, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  7. Billy G in Las Vegas

I used to be a huge supporter of John Edwards. even contributed money and volunteer time to his campaign because I thought he was the BEST candidate for working people BUT after he cheated on his wife Elizabeth while she was fighting cancer, I feel as betrayed as she was and could never trust him again.

unfortunately he's just another in a long list of phonies from BOTH political parties that have bamboozeled the public.

November 11, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  8. laura

No. He lost many supporters and tarnished his image.

November 11, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  9. Mc in DC

Come back from where?

November 11, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  10. r sisk, nevada

I don't give a crap if John Edwards was/is having an affair. What bugs me is the fact he was running on a moral pedestal. Speaks volumes about who he really is. Sorry John, lost me as a supporter.

November 11, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  11. Proud American

I'd rather have him than Palin any day!!

November 11, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  12. Lori

You know darn well that baby is his. He won't even acknowledge his kid. Nice dad, plus, "Oh, I only cheated when my wife was in remission". What a pathetic excuse for a man.

November 11, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  13. Billy G in Las Vegas

November 11, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  14. Oregon Democrat

Nope

November 11, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  15. Shola in Arizona

He's toast!

November 11, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  16. Muffy

I think John should be able to come back.. Everyone makes mistakes in their lifetime.. We know that he has a good heart.

November 11, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  17. Uncle Fester

Obama Victim November 11th, 2008 4:14 pm ET

well he is sleazy…………and Denorats are sleazy…………..so sure he has a bright future

Let's talk about McCain having an affair and divorcing his first wife after she had an accident that left her disfigured and crippled, shall we?

Let's talk about Newt Gingrich serving divorce papers on his cancer stricken wife in the hospital, shall we?

November 11, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  18. majis austin

How many of the people who don't want to forgive Edwards call themselves Christians?

Did you read the bible or just look at the pictures?

November 11, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  19. C in PDX

Bring him back, he has good ideas. The other things are personal issues that have no bearing on his works.

I'm willing to bet many of the posters here, throwing rocks, have also cheated at least one time in their lives...yet you still have jobs and lives...and someone forgave you quite possibly.

November 11, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  20. Bill Clinton 2

Sure, lets get him elected so we can impeach this mutha.

John Edwards = lame.

November 11, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  21. Mel of Alexandria, Virginia

The past has shown that many who condemn others are themselves guilty of the same or worse. We love to condemn the evil in us which we see in others. All have sinned and in need of forgiveness.

There is a wind of change blowing. Oh that all of us could be affected by its warmth.

November 11, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  22. Chut Pata

John Edwards did not do anything that John McCain did not. John McCain dumped his dying wife for the young Multi-millionaire barbie.

John Edwards had always been a defender of rights of those who can no protect their rights.

Perhaps the media can forgive John McCain and Bill Clinton but not John Edwards because of his fight against crook corporations.

November 11, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  23. Ghost

John ran as a morals candidate. So in his lying he destroyed his political career. I liked him until his lies came out.

November 11, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  24. Ravi

When I see all the sad comments you people make about John Edwards, I only see hypocrisy...let me ask you – whats the worse "sin" you've committed?

John Edwards paid the price by becoming unelectable in the last elections...

And for those with your holier than thou attitude...if you haven't already paid the price...well, watch out. It might just be around the corner.

Rather than slag the guy...give your opinions on why he isnt electable...not what you think of him...

For me, I think John Edwards could make a solid member of President Obama's candidate for the policies he promotes. As for having another run for Presidency, while his age may not pose issues, opposition will definately run his personal life to the ground if he stands for future elections/positions...so, NO is where I am on this topic.

(Ravi)

November 11, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  25. Beverly, NYC

Edwards comeback, NO WAY!! His behavior ,while touting family values was inexcusable. An affair that results in a child may be forgiven in France not here. The thought of him and that trollop Rielle Hunter in the white house makes my stomach turn. She had to be promised something by Mr. Edwards to keep her mouth shut and go along while he denies he feel the need to visit at 2 in the morning.
    He should do pro bono legal work for the poor to make up for his sins, make amends with his wife and children and stay out of the public.

November 11, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |