November 11th, 2008

Palin not ruling out 2012 bid

Palin is considering a presidential bid over her own.
Palin is considering a presidential bid over her own.

(CNN) - As Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin heads to Florida to attend the Republican Governors Association annual conference in Miami, she says she'd consider a run for the White House in 2012 or beyond.

Less than one week after the victory by Barack Obama and Joe Biden over the GOP ticket in the presidential election, John McCain's running mate is speaking out about her political future in national politics.

"Don't let me miss the open door. Show me where the open door is and even if it's cracked up a little bit, maybe I'll just plow right on through that and maybe prematurely plow through it, but don't let me miss an open door. And if there is an open door in '12 or four years later, and if it is something that is going to be good for my family, for my state, for my nation, an opportunity for me, then I'll plow through that door," Palin said in an interview with Fox News Monday.

Palin will be with her fellow Republican governors on Wednesday and Thursday as they meet in Miami. In the crowd will be other possible contenders for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination.

Palin also sits down Wednesday for a one on one interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer. Tune into the Situation Room, starting at 4 pm ET Wednesday to see Wolf's candid conversation with Palin.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Yes!

Yes, please let run in 12 against Obama, I would love to see that debate! SNL would get some great new spots!

Only scary thing is that some people will actually vote for her!

November 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  2. Melissa, NC

Go right ahead and run in 2012 Palin! Every time I read that I have to laugh because you will just give the Dems another 4 years in the White House. YES WE CAN! Yes...you do have a group of supporters but it is only those that are on the extreme far right. And, I do mean extreme far right! I am still astonished that you're governor and have been mayor of Alaska. Well with Stevens having been found guilty of multiple counts of fraud and you were found guilty of illegal practice in your own job it really makes me question how government is really run in your state. If you think you can play by those rules as a senator, VP or President then you're delusional.

November 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  3. Bruce Taylor, Berkeley, CA

The Running of the Moose( Juneau like Pamplona) maybe, but not much else.

November 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  4. Kevin

Please DO run. That'll guarantee another Dem election in '12

November 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  5. georgiagal

Ms. Palin, could you please stop all these 'advance' political campaigning? It's not even a week after you clearly lost, and you're already vying for the next election. Instead of scheming out your own presidential ambitions, you will do yourself and especially our nation a big favor if you focus instead on what you can do - as a governor, a mother and an ordinary citizen - to help the new president and all of us, citizens, rebuild and strengthen the economy. If you continue to do these political hype in the media, the people will get tired of you early on. Honestly, I used to respect and listen to what you have to say. But right now, I am just getting sick and tired. Do rest, and give us some, too.

November 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  6. Anderson

Interesting that the first part of her quote is left out. When she talks about the "open door", she's referring to a prayer that she's praying to God about her future, and the fact that she's praying for guidance. Your article makes no mention of that, and I think it does a disservice to your readers. The longer quote is available in an interview by a local Alaskan newspaper.

November 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  7. Robert

I hope she does. It'll be another crushing defeat for the GOP.

November 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  8. Erik

I saw the interview, which was 100% softball. Nothing wrong with that, there's no election going on here.

What strikes me though, is that her responses really aren't that unintelligible. It seems like if she got some basic coaching on how to give an interview, she could do all right.

In the paragraph quoted in the article all she needed to say is: "I am keeping my options open, we'll see what the future has in store." Something like that. Instead, she just keeps rambling until she runs out of words to say.

November 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  9. View From SAT

The definite of Sarah Palin= Sociopath
    1. Glibness and Superficial Charm
    2. Grandiose Sense of Self
    3. Pathological Lying
    4. Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
    5. Shallow Emotions
    6. Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
    7. Irresponsibility/Unreliability
    8. Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
    Yes, run, Sarah, run! Ran away, that is!

November 11, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  10. Bama for Obama

I knew she had her on agenda that is one of the reasons why McCain did not win. It is hard to win when you opponent and VP pick are both working against you.

The first clue for republican follower is when they, ask her in the VP debate would she follow McCain’s agenda if something happen to him and she said no.

Keep picking them like this republican’s; she stands for what people want out of Washington, a politician with their own agenda at any cost.

November 11, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  11. Karen

And the nonsense run on sentences from Palin continue. Please spare us. Plus she is in total denial regarding her roll in the loss of the race! I particularly like her recent comments about the "attacks" against her – that they are uncalled for etc. Again, PLEASE! Hers were the nastiest speeches I've seen in a political race in a long time! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

Lets hope reality intrudes for someone in the Republican party and this goes no further than talk.

November 11, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  12. Vicky from Milwaukee

I thought we had enough of inarticulate babbling from Bush. Please ignore the moosehunter and just let her langush in Alaska, She should spend her time learning if Africa is a continent and watching for Russian planes in Alaskan air space.

November 11, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  13. Linda

Palin....Ask your laying the hands on missionary to pray and drive all the "witches" from the USA. You might have a chance if that were to happen. Go Republicans....Got to love them.

November 11, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  14. EA for Obama

Go for it! I smell another landslide, oh and not for the Caribou Barbie! Obama/Biden 2012!

November 11, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  15. Jon

As a lifetime Democrat, I fully support Sarah Palin running for and receiving the Republican nomination for president in 2012. Seriously Republicans, she's your best chance to win the White House. Really. Trust me.

November 11, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  16. I'm a smart Georgian

This is laughable!

November 11, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  17. wakeupamerica

Opportunist. Will you just walk through the open door so someone can lock it behind you and throw away the key! This woman is an idiot and the more she talks the more evident it becomes. I'm sure Johnny boy cringes everytime she opens her mouth to think he put her out there. God help the Repugs if they think this sister is their savior.

November 11, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  18. mozartt

The only possible reason for the press to be so interested in Sarah Palin (aka Barbie Doll) is to exploit her and hence increase ratings. She is clearly an idiot and unfortunately potentially a dangerous one. While the rest of the country is trying to heal the divisiveness that has plagued America for a long time, she is hellbent on fostering racism and re-visiting all the other ugly remnants of the past that few want to hear. Yes, she is news, but she is BAD NEWS!! = Get her off the air.....

November 11, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  19. Paul

Let's hope she does run. She energizes 25% of the electorate and alienates 75%. She'd be a great opponent for Barack's re-election.

November 11, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  20. Ron

I was really hoping, actually, PRAYING, this woman would go away after Nov. 4th, but, like an uninvited family member, she just doesnt know how to take a hint and leave.

November 11, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  21. er78

Dear Sarah Palin,

Please do run on 2012. Please do, so it's going to be guaranteed that republicans are not going to have even a slim chance to make it to the white house, and that's all good. Good for America and good for the whole world.

November 11, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  22. Frank from Peterborough

If the Republican Party doesn't revamp it's organization and get rid of the right wing extremist evangelicals no one with an iota of common sense is going to support their party.

Keep the religion in the churches where it belongs and elect people who have intelligence and vision without the warped influence of what ever fairy tale they happen to believe in or support.

November 11, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  23. Chemist in Indiana

PLEASE!!! I'd love nothing better than to see a woman elected president of the U.S. before I die, but NOT this woman. There are many smart, experienced women (some may even be Republicans) including Hillary Clinton. I do hope that the national media lets this story die and we get on with solving serious problems with serious candidates.

November 11, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  24. Elizabeth

From a reformed Republican, please, Sarah, run in 2012. You have placed a spotlight on the reason no one should vote Republican. When a large faction of society is willing to vote for a candidate who knows nothing of its history, admits she doesn't read informative newspapers or magazines, lies, incites anger (to the point where fellow Americans yell, "Kill him" and she simply smiles), hides behind her faith as if it's a protective barrier, I just don't get it. I have lost ALL faith in the Republican Party and am now a life-long Democrat.

November 11, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  25. I hop she runs

Let her run; unfortunately, all the GOP has left in its support network are the evangelicals, the ignorant, and the angry, and she appeals to all three. She'd be perfect cannon fodder for the Democrats in 2012.

November 11, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |