November 12th, 2008

Albright, Leach to represent Obama at summit

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama's transition team announced Wednesday that former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright and former Iowa Congressman Jim Leach will represent the incoming administration at the G-20 economic summit being hosted by President Bush on November 15.

Obama himself will not attend the summit.

Albright and Leach are "an experienced and bipartisan team," Obama Senior Foreign Policy Advisor Denis McDonough said in a statement.

McDonough also noted, however, that there is only "one president at a time in the United States," and that "President Bush should be commended for calling the summit."

Albright, a Democrat, served as secretary of state during the Clinton administration. Leach, a Republican, represented Iowa's second congressional district from 1977 to 2007. He endorsed Obama in August.

Bush announced the summit of the world's 20 largest industrialized nations and developing economies as a way to help coordinate the international response to the global financial meltdown.

Filed under: Obama transition
  1. Happy Early On

With each news article I read about Obama's plans for who will or is part of his team, I have been happy with the choices. As an Iowan, was surprised to see Obama reach out to Jim Leach, but again Obama is showing his talents to look across the board and choose the best person. WAY TO GO!!!

November 12, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  2. Sal Akpos

Thats a great idea!!! Obama should stay as far away from Bush & Co

November 12, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  3. Smart Move

You people on here who are already criticizing President-elect Obama...go back under the rock you crawled out from. The world is moving forward and you are just going backwards. Take your McCain/Palin signs out of your yards for goodness sake, and save what dignity you have left. "THAT ONE" won...shout hallelujah!! The man is brilliant!

November 12, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  4. nkc46

this confrence is a joke. sarkozy vain attempt at looking big while he is still eu president. thats why obama isn't going , because they cant do anything till his administration is in place

November 12, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  5. Mike

Send Palin...LoL she would like to have the spotlight instead..Zapp begone you dimwit...

November 12, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  6. Barbara Curry

I pray to God that the republican party is finished forever – they are so destructive – and all they have to offer is name calling.

November 12, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  7. former gop

Can't we move up the inauguration to like... RIGHT now?

November 12, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  8. I Just Said Thanks, but No Thanks to Another 4 Years of g.o.p. corruption, arrogance and incompetence

President-elect Obama is about to clear the executive branch of a lot of political hacks and incompetents.
    I will not miss "Heck of Job, Brownie".

November 12, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  9. Sarah Smith

PARIS and Palin! dual ticket! 2012!!

Yipee!

the ratings will go WILD!!!

WET T SHIRT CONTESTS TOO!!!

YESSSSS!!!!!!

November 12, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  10. Getting It Right

Now this is news – it's factual, objective and not drama filled.

Also, the story of Candy Crowley re: Cabinent positions was excellent – no rumors, just reporting the facts based on historical precedent.

More of these stories and less of Palin – please for the sake of jornalism – stay away from the race stories, Palin overload, and rumoured fills that are not official.

November 12, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  11. rita

Excellent pick of Madeleine Albright! Way to go, dear President – Elect!
    Love Maddy and would love to see her become a more permanent part of your team in Washington!

November 12, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  12. Bridg

Hey Caribou Barbie, you're missing your second Epcot Center, drinks-around-the-world tour!

November 12, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  13. J.C.

Something was fundamentally wrong with our economy.
    It requires a down to Earth kind of reform, or else it shall return before you know it.

November 12, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  14. GA for Obama

SOUTHERN HOTTIE- hi. what's your email? I wanna chat..

November 12, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  15. John

Madeline Albright would be a great pick for a position in the new administration. But that means she'd have to stop teaching at my school, and I like having her here. Go Georgetown!

November 12, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  16. THE END OF AMERICA by OBAMA

Hey Barbara Curry.................you fool, you better pray that this country NEVER has a one party rule EVER. Are you really that stupid.

November 12, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  17. Richard A. Spomer

How will this silliness help a failing democracy?

This economy has been since President-elect Obama got the mantel?

How, were, and when He communicate his change?

I will give him a brake, however since his winning the stock market continues to fall showing lack of belief and experience if I'm not mistaking the signs?

November 12, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  18. virginia for obama

I agree with you 100% – - Getting It Right, I too am sick of Palin overload and all the reporting about race. Enough aready, please lets move on.

Oh yeah! I am a black woman who love all color.

November 12, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  19. Scott Tucson

Whats next in the Obama transition...Bill Clinton taking over has president??

November 12, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  20. Professor

We see a great leader in Obama.

CNN, could you stop reporting Palin? It is not interesting and does not make any sense at all.

November 12, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  21. Maria S

Simply brilliant choice! I lived in Iowa for 10 years and had Jim Leach as our rep. to the house. Jim has always done an outstanding job for people in his district. Well done Barack....do a good job for us Jim!!

November 12, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  22. Vet from Texas

I'm serious. Why can't he attend? I'm asking a real question. CNN maybe you can find out what he's doing that day. I mean he is through campaigning, he said it was about the economy, I'm just interested to know why the president elect would not attend an economic summit.

November 12, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  23. M Bobo

I am from Mali Republic, West Africa, and I supported and still support Obama like most non-americans. I just noticed that he relied on TV to get the elections results, I saw no laptop,therefore no internet, in the Hyatt Regency Room where he,his family and aides were during the publication of results. I hope we will a see a laptop on his desk in the oval office. I just dont understand why a current US president does not personnally rely on computers.

November 13, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  24. d in fl

For all you people asking wheres the change, hes choosing the best people for the job. Yes theyre washington insiders, but what do you think he should do? Just grab people off the streets. He meant a change in policies.

November 13, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |