November 12th, 2008

Coleman says he welcomes investigation into his finances

Al Franken's campaign has continued to bring up the allegations to reporters.
Al Franken's campaign has continued to bring up the allegations to reporters.

Minneapolis, Minnesota (CNN) – Just hours after a liberal-leaning Minnesota group called for an investigation into allegations that Sen. Norm Coleman accepted $75,000 worth of gifts, the incumbent Republican himself said he is eager for any probe to move forward "immediately."

Court documents allege that Texas businessman Nasser Kazeminy fraudulently ordered corporate funds be funneled to Coleman - a potential violation of Senate ethics rules.

Alliance for a Better Minnesota, a self-described progressive organization, sent letters to both the Senate Select Committee on Ethics and the Minneapolis branch of the FBI calling for a full investigation.

Al Franken’s campaign and the state Democratic Farmer Labor Party also continue to bring up the allegations repeatedly to reporters.

Coleman said the accusations were influenced by partisanship. “As another Democratic group that spent millions of dollars attempting to defeat me calls for a politically motivated investigation, I want to be clear that I not only welcome such an investigation, but I am eager to have it move forward immediately." Coleman said in a Wednesday statement. "The fact that a United States Senator is being used as a tool of extortion by private parties should be of concern to all Minnesotans. I reiterate that none of the allegations which attempt to besmirch my family’s good name and reputation are true.

"This investigation should move forward, and it is my hope that those who were behind this matter, their motives and what their connections may be to my political opponents be reviewed aggressively by the appropriate authorities and the media. This matter, which has emerged again as a result of the tactics of my political opponents, during a recount, ought to raise even further suspicions in the minds of Minnesotans as to its motives and purposes.”

Franken and Coleman remain locked in an unresolved Senate race, separated by just a few hundred votes. A state law-mandated recount is set to begin November 19.

Filed under: Norm Coleman
  1. Neeraj

Coleman has probably taken more than 75k worth of things. He's so corrupt.

November 12, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  2. Ryan

I live in Minnesota.

First of all, Coleman has done nothing for this state. He's been a partisan hack ever since he got to the senate.

Franken at least grew up here. Most people dismiss him as a gimmick but he's a Harvard grad and deserves a chance.

Coleman is a crook and I hope this investigation brings a lot of his under the table BS to light. He accepts gifts and bribes through donors buying stuff for his wife in the big department stores in Minneapolis. The people working there have known it for years.

And let's not forget Coleman announced he wanted Franken to concede even though state law mandates a recount.

November 12, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  3. Linda C.

I am so disappointed regarding our common sense in this country...We already had one (not so bright president). Now we actually would even discuss the possiblitiy for Palin to become President...My God...she could not comment on BUSH's DOCTRINE. She does not remotely compare to Hillary Clinton...She does not represent me as a woman...She has no relevant degree...What are people thinking.....She's a blank slate.

November 12, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  4. malclave

"My God…she could not comment on BUSH's DOCTRINE"

Mightn't that be due to the fact that "Bush Doctrine" is not a generally accepted term to describe anything?

How would you comment on the Obama Doctrine? Are you for or against it?

November 12, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  5. I Just Said Thanks, but No Thanks to Another 4 Years of g.o.p. corruption, arrogance and incompetence

Coleman is a an example of g.o.p. corruption.
    Speaking of corruption, Begich just pulled ahead of Senator "Tubes" Stevens in Alaska according to fivethrityeight.com.
    Sorry MSM, but it looks like Palin will not be running in a special election for US Senator.

November 12, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  6. T

Joe, don't let him show you his gun collection, and if he insist, then run like a gazel! Don't let him confuse you with the bimbo Palin, who like to destroy life.

November 12, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  7. Sarah Smith

PARIS in 2012!! got MY VOTE!

NOT palin... yuck

November 12, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  8. Michael G Ventura,CA

Isn't that what Ted Stevens of Alaska said?

November 12, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  9. CutSnake

I was in Minnesota visiting friends one New Year a few years back. Coleman showed up at the Gasthof, the German beer hall where we were eating.

Everyone was getting their photos taken with the guy, and although I'm a Democrat, I wasn't averse to a photo. He put his arms around the waists of my friend and me and then squeezed my butt, big time. Really grabbed a handful. Grinning at me the whole time until I forcefully removed his hand from my butt. No one could believe what they were seeing.

He ended up being elected Governor, and every since, has continued to reveal himself as the sleazebag he really is.

November 12, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  10. little barack

Who wants to add a comment to this. I wanted to grill Palin because she's easy pickins, you betcha!

November 12, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  11. Last Honest Man

What a Joke. First Obama....now Franken. The American public deserves all the misery it probably has coming. I just hope it effects the people who voted for these idiots more.

November 12, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  12. Richard A. Spomer

How will this silliness help a failing democracy?

This economy has been since President-elect Obama got the mantel? How, were, and when He communicate his change?

November 12, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  13. Swimsuit?

Frankin will win it.CNN, if your going to keep putting Palin on your site everyday to sell ad time,please move on to the swimsuit competition.

November 12, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  14. Sarah the Sandwich-Maker

Palin: Head of Douchebag Security

November 12, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  15. VETS4Obama

Hey Last Honest Man get a clue!  Do you really think we benefited after the last 8 years under Bush?  Spare me!!!  The country has NEVER been in worse shape!  Pout all you want but with an attitude like that I hope you and your party enjoy your hard fought and rightfully deserved minority status!  I imagine with all the hate that spews out of that exclusive party it will be in the minority for a long long long time!

November 12, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  16. VETS4Obama

November 12, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  17. Sue

Cutsnake: Nice fairy tale. Coleman has never been Governor.

November 12, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  18. VETS4Obama

Coleman is sweating that his voter suppression efforts might not have worked! What a joke! Just another Repugnantcan Bush rubber stamp!

November 12, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  19. rubyshuz

I really thought all the mouth-breathing, far-right haters would have retreated into their basements by now to lick their wounds and plan their revenge. Apparently they're still here, hating. Too bad.

November 12, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  20. ROCHELLE

Coleman is shaking in his boots and really doesn't want an investigation, so, he is sho boating to make people think that he is not worried about anything hoping that they will pull up and not investigate him. Another set of hand cuffs coming up!

November 12, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  21. Ben in Dallas

This is so refreshing! The many people who now recognize the hidden agenda of the republicans was to create a haven for the rich to get richer and for republican office holders to have their hands in the till are finally speaking out. I have been waiting 20 years for this.

November 12, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  22. ET from OMAHA

I just red Sarah Palin is willing to work in an OBAMA administration.
    Wow that's amazing.
    First of all the only one thing she is good at is shooting mooses and the white house is not a hunting field.
    The baby sitting position is already taken too.
    She can't be a cook because OBAMA's family is not use to moose burgers. What else can she do?
    Can somebody put that woman away from the media before the world start to laugh at us? Gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 12, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  23. another sarah

Sarah Van Palin is so self-centered she is her own worst enemy. I"m for doing what Obama did; he complemented her political skill, and then ignored her. She will be around for some time because she is newsworthy, and has lots of sex appeal. That always sells-–for awhile. The American people need to put her aside, forget two party government for awhile and give Obama the help he asked for. No one in history ever inherited such a disgraceful mess. We have a chance, perhaps for the last time, to pull ourselves out of the muck and show the watching world that we are still the greatest country in the world.

November 13, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  24. Cynthia

We are pulling for you Norm. Don't let these liberals get away with stealing this election. Call them out on the voter fraud that was going on, on election day....non-citizens voting and those people that stood outside polling stations vouching for people that they did not know and vouching for more than one person. This was all happening at one of the South Minneapolis polling stations all day!!!! I am sure if they looked at just those elements, Frankenstein would lose 15,000 votes

November 13, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |