November 12th, 2008

Coleman says he welcomes investigation into his finances

Al Franken's campaign has continued to bring up the allegations to reporters.
Al Franken's campaign has continued to bring up the allegations to reporters.

Minneapolis, Minnesota (CNN) – Just hours after a liberal-leaning Minnesota group called for an investigation into allegations that Sen. Norm Coleman accepted $75,000 worth of gifts, the incumbent Republican himself said he is eager for any probe to move forward "immediately."

Court documents allege that Texas businessman Nasser Kazeminy fraudulently ordered corporate funds be funneled to Coleman - a potential violation of Senate ethics rules.

Alliance for a Better Minnesota, a self-described progressive organization, sent letters to both the Senate Select Committee on Ethics and the Minneapolis branch of the FBI calling for a full investigation.

Al Franken’s campaign and the state Democratic Farmer Labor Party also continue to bring up the allegations repeatedly to reporters.

Coleman said the accusations were influenced by partisanship. “As another Democratic group that spent millions of dollars attempting to defeat me calls for a politically motivated investigation, I want to be clear that I not only welcome such an investigation, but I am eager to have it move forward immediately." Coleman said in a Wednesday statement. "The fact that a United States Senator is being used as a tool of extortion by private parties should be of concern to all Minnesotans. I reiterate that none of the allegations which attempt to besmirch my family’s good name and reputation are true.

"This investigation should move forward, and it is my hope that those who were behind this matter, their motives and what their connections may be to my political opponents be reviewed aggressively by the appropriate authorities and the media. This matter, which has emerged again as a result of the tactics of my political opponents, during a recount, ought to raise even further suspicions in the minds of Minnesotans as to its motives and purposes.”

Franken and Coleman remain locked in an unresolved Senate race, separated by just a few hundred votes. A state law-mandated recount is set to begin November 19.

Filed under: Norm Coleman
  1. PUMBU

Palin, Palin, Palin???? Can someone remind her that 15 minutes of fame are over? People have no time for her now, she needs to be smart, she is commiting her career suicide. Next time(2012) being cute won't be enough.

November 12, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  2. Al Frankenstein

I'm so close I can almost smell it.

November 12, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  3. Cheryl from Minnesota

Let the investigation move forward. I would be very interested in finding out the truth.

November 12, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  4. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

He thinks he's clean. Given that he has the audacity to say that he is the winner despite the counting process to going on. I say anyone who is that pompus should be under some scrutitny. Let the process finish.

November 12, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  5. NYer

I cant believe this is news worthy.

November 12, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  6. Liberal and Proud of It

I hope Franken eventually turns out to be the winner in a recount. Franken seems smart and sincere, unlike his opponent. He would provide some clever comments to the political dialog. And, the nation needs to stamp out Conservatism wherever it can be found. Conservatism is a much greater threat to our future than is terrorism.

November 12, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  7. PUMBU

Tell Palin, being cute won't be enough in 2012.

November 12, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  8. tv

I can't recall any public servant as of late saying their not guilty that hasn't been convicted. Maybe it's me?

November 12, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  9. John Anthony, Minneapolis, MN

Coleman, WE welcome you to step down!

November 12, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  10. Minnesota

This coming from the guy who stated he'd have conceded the election had he been in Franken's position in order to save the tax payors of Minnesota 90K.

NO POLITICIAN RUNNING WOULD DO THAT!!!! And if they did they have no business running a campaign.

This guy needs to go and fast. I am sorry we still have to deal with Bachman, hopefully Norm is out.

November 12, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  11. Ian Minneapolis, MN

Looks like he has nothing to hide...I just wish would show more concerned about mental health issues in Minnesota....

November 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  12. anna

Release those records...
    but if I can speak two cents about Sarah-missed the cutoff.

ahem...
    hey, LARRY KING, FOX, ABC, CBS and OPRAH have all ASKED Sarah on the show.
    She isnt knocking down their doors for the attention!

Lets face it, as long as she is not threatening the Dem candidates, she is one of their greatest allies (kind of like John McCain as I recall over the years). She defeated GOP corruption in her state, in just a wee bit of time as Governor, remember? I have been waiting for the Dems to do that all my years as a Voter.
    Believe me...it will not be long before the Obama Camp is saying...
    GO SARAH! and the REPUBLICANS are saying "Shut the >>>>UP!"

She is fearless and quite smart, actually.
    Lethal mix.
    It would be very STUPID of anyone in any Party to underestimate her, actually.

November 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  13. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

JUST WHAT AMERICA NEEDS TO GO ALONG WITH THE OTHER LOSERS.

OBAMA, REID, PELOSI, AND NOW FRANKEN.

WOW AMERICA YOU MIGHT AS WELL GO FAR IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!

November 12, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  14. Marnie

Norm Coleman used to be a democrat. Why shouldn't we believe he is spreading these stories only to make him look thwarted by the terrible group coming into power. Tough tonails, Norm. Too bad you didn't switch sides again.

November 12, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  15. Kevin

Oh, come on now....a liberal questioning campaign financing after what we saw from ACORN and Obama???????????? Cut me a break. If the people of minnesota elect this fruitcake, we are doomed.

November 12, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  16. Anne E.

CAN WE PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT SARAH PALIN???
    (The relevance to this comment in this post holds as much relevance as Sarah Palin does to politics, and particularly the presidency.)

November 12, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  17. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

THATS GREAT INVESTIGATE THIS BUT DO NOT INVESTIGATE ANYTHING OF OBAMA!!!!!!!

November 12, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  18. 3strikes

oh yea, destroy evidence before the investigation starts, then welcome it. so this guy will be a part of the new failed nobama administration. it'll probably be less than 2 years when the people that voted for nobama, start to turn against him. then the new slogan in 2012 will be "nobama nicht ändern, wir brauchen Palin Macht", and people will overwhelmingly vote for palin power. obama will drag the economy and everything else down with it, because of his so called "good judgement"

November 12, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  19. Greg PA

Why do you hate Palin? What did she do that was so bad. Is every one that runs republican bad. This is like politcal partyisum. What did she do to you. What did she do to be trashed the way she has. Or are you just so full of hate that you have to unleash it on her?

Tell me what she did that makes her this totaly bad person. I can under stand not liking her views but you act like she is the Anticrist. I am not talking about politacal views I will state that twice because I bet that is all you got and if you think that your views are right and that is it then you are the problem. I was not happy to se her run but this is just dumb.

One more thing If you want to bring the people togeather insulting them is not the way to do it.

November 12, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  20. Jon

This probably would have been more effective BEFORE the election.

November 12, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  21. paul (staunch Moderate)

Franken's campaign should have left this sleeping dog lie. Once it was brought to voter's attention you should have left it and distanced yourself from the Alliance group. The Alliance brought it to the Senate Ethics Committee, don't harp on it. This type of "politics" leaves a bad taste in the electorates collective mouth.

November 12, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  22. Obama Victim

market has now lost 1400 points since the election......thanks Barry

November 12, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  23. GET REAL.

Cheney and Biden are meeting soon... but if Dick invites you to go hunting, Joe, run for your life!!!!

November 12, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  24. Michael, Houston Texas

If a guy is openly saying, go ahead with the investigation, he might be telling the truth. Most people who have something to hide usually will not be that open to investigations

November 12, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  25. angela

Wasn't it Shakespeare that said "thou doth protest too much"?

November 12, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |