November 12th, 2008

Coleman says he welcomes investigation into his finances

Al Franken's campaign has continued to bring up the allegations to reporters.
Al Franken's campaign has continued to bring up the allegations to reporters.

Minneapolis, Minnesota (CNN) – Just hours after a liberal-leaning Minnesota group called for an investigation into allegations that Sen. Norm Coleman accepted $75,000 worth of gifts, the incumbent Republican himself said he is eager for any probe to move forward "immediately."

Court documents allege that Texas businessman Nasser Kazeminy fraudulently ordered corporate funds be funneled to Coleman - a potential violation of Senate ethics rules.

Alliance for a Better Minnesota, a self-described progressive organization, sent letters to both the Senate Select Committee on Ethics and the Minneapolis branch of the FBI calling for a full investigation.

Al Franken’s campaign and the state Democratic Farmer Labor Party also continue to bring up the allegations repeatedly to reporters.

Coleman said the accusations were influenced by partisanship. “As another Democratic group that spent millions of dollars attempting to defeat me calls for a politically motivated investigation, I want to be clear that I not only welcome such an investigation, but I am eager to have it move forward immediately." Coleman said in a Wednesday statement. "The fact that a United States Senator is being used as a tool of extortion by private parties should be of concern to all Minnesotans. I reiterate that none of the allegations which attempt to besmirch my family’s good name and reputation are true.

"This investigation should move forward, and it is my hope that those who were behind this matter, their motives and what their connections may be to my political opponents be reviewed aggressively by the appropriate authorities and the media. This matter, which has emerged again as a result of the tactics of my political opponents, during a recount, ought to raise even further suspicions in the minds of Minnesotans as to its motives and purposes.”

Franken and Coleman remain locked in an unresolved Senate race, separated by just a few hundred votes. A state law-mandated recount is set to begin November 19.

Filed under: Norm Coleman
  1. HouseDiva

GO FRANKEN!

November 12, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  2. tmdcedar

Only a Republican would welcome an investigation. Dems never do anything wrong so they always deny deny deny.ala Bill Clinton?

November 12, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  3. truth

voters are stupid to vote for Reps at this time... you are who you voted for this time around....

November 12, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  4. Proud to be American

Well let the investigation begin.... the truth will make you free ;0)

November 12, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. Betty the maid

Yes...ah, am I online? ah, hello oh...ok
    Ah, I would just like to say that I am sick and tired of that red neck bimbo, Sarah Palin. Her 15 minutes of fame ended last week. She is desperate, I am sooooo serious. What a desperate sad bitter old b-i-t-c-h. Please freaking twat...shut up, just shut your freaking face, shut it now. Please pleas eplease dear god make that douche bag go away!!!!! I swear she is making a fool of her self

Betty

November 12, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  6. Tim

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

November 12, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  7. Proud to be American

Get it (investigation) done! then we will the truth of the matter....

November 12, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  8. Senators and Governors

watching the Palin interview with Blitzer. She is bulls'ing through this interview. Man o man, I am so glad the she didn't become our VP- she's such a space-cadet!

November 12, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  9. Spencer/NY to VA

Another crooked GOP politician. Kick them all out of Washington.

November 12, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  10. Trust him?? No WAY

Anyone else find it ironic that Bill Clinton is in this photo – LAUGHING!?!?

Whenever I see photo of Nixon I think, "I am not a crook". And when I see a photo of Clinton, I think, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman". I will always will see them as the same....

November 12, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  11. KC

Minnesota really needs to get a grip on their candidates. What a joke.

November 12, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  12. Johnnyboy

"Tell Palin, being cute won't be enough in 2012."

PUMBU: I read this article three times and see no mention of Sarah Palin. So what is the point to your comment? She lost. It's over. Move on.

November 12, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  13. linus

Funny how he didn't want an investigation BEFORE election day...

November 12, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  14. Nancy

CNN gives Sarah Palin extraordinary coverage to the detriment of covering other goveners with time deserved in the media because of their years of fine politacal devotion. It seems you are her cheerleader and spokesperson. I had hoped after the election we would get back to hearing from the many hardworking and well spoken goveners and finally let go of Palin who you gave obsessive coverage to during the election. Please become the balanced CNN that earned my devoation until lately.

November 12, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  15. George

I swear, the democrats would vote for the devil if he were a democrat! Al Franken is the biggest liar, cheat, big-mouthed idiot, not looking out for Minnesota's best interests at all, and the people still vote for him! Stupidity at all levels!! Now Nobama wants to chase Bin Laden to hell and back (with your tax dollars) knowing full well that man has layers of people hiding him out in caves in unfriendly countries! I wish I had control over my own taxes!!! Before Nobama gets through with us, we'll all wish we had a paycheck because he's going to tax us through our noses! (but, he said he wouldn't, hahahaha for all the fools that believed him!)

November 12, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. carol

Let the truth be known!

November 12, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  17. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

COMEON CNN

JUST WHAT AMERICA NEEDS TO GO ALONG WITH THE OTHER LOSERS.

OBAMA, REID, PELOSI, AND NOW FRANKEN.

WOW AMERICA YOU MIGHT AS WELL GO FAR IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!

November 12, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  18. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Speaking of comedy...

I gotta US$ 100.00 sez in the next nine months hundreds of newborns will bear the name Barack.

Hussein…not so much.

November 12, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  19. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

FRANKEN IS A LOSER!!!!!!!!

WATCH THE DEMS SOME HOW PUT HIM IN OFFICE!!!!!!

I GUARANTEE YOU IF FRANKEN WAS WINNING BY A FEW HUNDRED VOTES THE ELECTION WOULD BE OVER!!!

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 12, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  20. joseph

why is it that NO Democrat can lose an election without a lawsuit following, or allegations of wrong doing?
    Yall sound like a person who didnt get the job they applied for so instead of moving on, you decide to sue the potential employer for discrimination. PATHETIC.

November 12, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  21. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

JUST WATCH THE CROOKED PEOPLE WORK UNTIL FRANKEN WINS SOMEHOW.

HOW ARE AMERICANS SUPPOSE TO BE HONEST WHEN ARE SO CALLED LEADERS ARE CROOKED!!!!!!!!!

November 12, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  22. DAVID

THIS SHOULD BE IN THE BAILOUT BLOG BUT IT WAS CLOSED. DETROIT HAS BEEN IN BED WITH THE OIL INDUSTRY FOREVER. THE AUTO INDUSTRY SHOULD SEEK LOANS FROM SHELL, BP, CHEVRON AND PHILLIPS PETROLEUM AND NOT THE TAX PAYER.
    BOTH PARTIES HAVE BEEN DRAGGING THEIR FEET WITH INNOVATING NEW ENERGY SOURCES, LOW MPG AND OVERSIZED HEAVY CARS AND TRUCKS.

November 12, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  23. H-ROD

AL WON , ALL THIS IS , IS ANOTHER REPUBLICAN TRYING TO STEAL ANOTHER ELECTION DON'T LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT FIGHT THEM FIGHT THEM AT EVERY TURN DON'T GIVE IN LIKE AL GORE OR JOHN KERRY THATS WHAT THEY ARE COUNTING ON TO BEAT A BULLY YOU HAVE TO STAND UP AND FIGHT WITH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE THATS WHATS THE REPUBLICANS ARE BULLIES AND CHEATS !!!! --- (((YES OBAMA DID)))---

November 12, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  24. H-ROD

November 12, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  25. Chuck

there's got to be a joke in there somewhere...

GO, FRANKEN!