November 12th, 2008

Coleman says he welcomes investigation into his finances

Al Franken's campaign has continued to bring up the allegations to reporters.
Al Franken's campaign has continued to bring up the allegations to reporters.

Minneapolis, Minnesota (CNN) – Just hours after a liberal-leaning Minnesota group called for an investigation into allegations that Sen. Norm Coleman accepted $75,000 worth of gifts, the incumbent Republican himself said he is eager for any probe to move forward "immediately."

Court documents allege that Texas businessman Nasser Kazeminy fraudulently ordered corporate funds be funneled to Coleman - a potential violation of Senate ethics rules.

Alliance for a Better Minnesota, a self-described progressive organization, sent letters to both the Senate Select Committee on Ethics and the Minneapolis branch of the FBI calling for a full investigation.

Al Franken’s campaign and the state Democratic Farmer Labor Party also continue to bring up the allegations repeatedly to reporters.

Coleman said the accusations were influenced by partisanship. “As another Democratic group that spent millions of dollars attempting to defeat me calls for a politically motivated investigation, I want to be clear that I not only welcome such an investigation, but I am eager to have it move forward immediately." Coleman said in a Wednesday statement. "The fact that a United States Senator is being used as a tool of extortion by private parties should be of concern to all Minnesotans. I reiterate that none of the allegations which attempt to besmirch my family’s good name and reputation are true.

"This investigation should move forward, and it is my hope that those who were behind this matter, their motives and what their connections may be to my political opponents be reviewed aggressively by the appropriate authorities and the media. This matter, which has emerged again as a result of the tactics of my political opponents, during a recount, ought to raise even further suspicions in the minds of Minnesotans as to its motives and purposes.”

Franken and Coleman remain locked in an unresolved Senate race, separated by just a few hundred votes. A state law-mandated recount is set to begin November 19.

Filed under: Norm Coleman
  1. Richard

The tactics being used by the loony left here are pretty sad. Hitler would be so proud. What they couldn't win, they'll steal. And throw accusations and dirt all around at the same time. If this was truly an issue it should have come up and been dealt with by the Obamedia during the election. Not now.

November 12, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  2. Irony

You can see my finances, so long as we don't count any more votes...

November 12, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  3. Jessie's Mommy Jacksonville, FL

Go Al!!! Kick back and relax, it will be over soon!!

November 12, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  4. Frank Lee

That's similar to what Gary Hart said. Be careful what you wish for, Normie.

November 12, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  5. Maggie from Virginia

"eager for any probe to move forward immediately"

That's the same thing Palin and Stevens said.

November 12, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  6. Kay1111

I think Coleman's crooked. I hope he loses the election. Franken's an honest guy and he cares. Go Al!!

November 12, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  7. WAW

Stephens still thinks he's innocent. Republican, Christian Right, Wall Street Patsy, Conservative, Innocent... Sure!

November 12, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  8. Alisha, MN

Please step-down Norm, we Minnesotans have had enough of you!

November 12, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  9. Vicki5

Someone should tell Coleman, that line doesn't work with us anymore. There are likely many more secrets yet to surface in the secretive republican camp. Thanks be to God.

November 12, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  10. david

Coleman/Stevens 2012!!

November 12, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. Joe Banana

Easy solution, if Coleman is cleared he retains the seat, if not, Franken gets it. But if Coleman is cleared, Franken needs to shut his big pie hole and go back to being not funny forever!

November 12, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  12. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

CNN GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!

THE ELECTION IS OVER AND OBAMA WON SO YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY!!!!!!!

ARE YOU FOR FRANKEN TO!!!!!!!!!

THAT WOULD BE SOMEONE I BET YOU WOULD SUPPORT.

ANYTHING YOU POST BAD ABOUT OBAMA, REID, PELOSI ARE FRANKEN MUST BE OFF LIMITS!!!!!!!!!

WHAT HAPPEN TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH?????

November 12, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  13. Vic

It's about time some of these republicans are being investigated!
    I'm sick of their politics. Slime and lies all across the USA from the party that is supposed to be so consertative.... they make me sick.

November 12, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  14. Chuck

'Tis the season for Democrats. Unfortunately, a few evil Republicans have slipped through. The likes of Michelle Bachmann, congresswoman from Minnesota and Paul Broun, congressman from Georgia should have been defeated. Those two are represent divisiveness, fear-mongering, racism and bigotry of the worst kind. Maybe the voters of Minnesota and Georgia will decide differently two years from now.

November 12, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  15. Minnesota Democrat

If Sen. Coleman has nothing to hide, let this thing be put to BROAD DAYLIGHT SO ALL MINNESOTANS CAN SEE– And by the way, I hope Sen Coleman realizes that about 50% did not vote for him- Needs to ask himself why?

November 12, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  16. Amy

I can't wait until the recount is done. I hope Coleman loses. I've contacted his office several times to express my views. He doesn't seem to represent me. Thank God we have Amy Klobuchar!

November 12, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  17. MD, TX

Franken was a horrible comic. He will be a worse Senator. Minnesota deserves better.

November 12, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  18. Todd

How come this story isn't about Sarah Palin? I thought CNN only did stories about Palin now.

November 12, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  19. KJL

That's what they all say.

November 12, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  20. Rockford

Don't really have an opinion on MN politics... but I'm really confused that Al Franken could even be in the running... really? I don't know how bad Coleman could be but wow... kinda like electing Rush... scary!

November 12, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  21. Muddy Republican

As if anyone would believe a Republican Senator would be Corrupt!

November 12, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  22. Jeff

Here come all the comments about Republican crooks, and Dems can do no wrong.

Investigate it, show there was no wrong doing, and move forward.

November 12, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  23. facts are facts

What's the big fuss being corrupt is a badge of honor in American politics. Look at your present administration that makes Al Capone look like a choir boy.

November 12, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  24. jim

I wannna know why all these people are coming out of their closets.
    Palin,Edwards,mark foley, splitzer . Why?

November 12, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  25. Vincent Connecticut

Franken will do anything to get elected- "finding" extra votes for him and now having trumped up charges brought against Sen Coleman. If, God forbid, Franken is deemed the winner, every Minnesotan who voted for Franken should be so ashamed and Minnesota will be the laughing stock of the US. Franken is unqualified, undeserving and totally despicable!

November 12, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |