November 12th, 2008

Congressman sorry for likening Obama to Hitler

Rep. Paul Broun is sorry for seemingly comparing Obama to Adolf Hitler.
Rep. Paul Broun is sorry for seemingly comparing Obama to Adolf Hitler.

(CNN) - Republican Paul Broun is sorry for calling President-elect Barack Obama a 'Marxist' and comparing him to Adolf Hitler, the Georgia Congressman said Tuesday.

“I regret putting it that way,” he told WGAC radio in Augusta, according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution. “I apologize to anyone who has taken offense at that.”

In an interview with the Associated Press earlier this week, Broun admitted to calling the future commander-in-chief a 'Marxist' at a recent Rotary club meeting, and said Obama has expressed support for policies similar to those of Hitler.

"It may sound a bit crazy and off base, but the thing is, he's the one who proposed this national security force," Broun told the AP. "I'm just trying to bring attention to the fact that we may– may not, I hope not - but we may have a problem with that type of philosophy of radical socialism or Marxism."

Broun was specifically referring to a July speech by Obama, where the then-Democratic presidential nominee said he supports a civilian force helping the military when it comes to national security: "We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well funded [as the military]," Obama said in the speech that was largely a call to national service.

Responding to those comments, Broun told the AP Monday: "That's exactly what Hitler did in Nazi Germany and it's exactly what the Soviet Union did. When he's proposing to have a national security force that's answering to him, that is as strong as the U.S. military, he's showing me signs of being Marxist."

"We can't be lulled into complacency," Broun added. "You have to remember that Adolf Hitler was elected in a democratic Germany. I'm not comparing him to Adolf Hitler. What I'm saying is there is the potential."

The Obama transition office did not respond to Broun's comments, and in his interview Tuesday to WGAC, the first term congressman said, “The point I tried to make is that he is extremely liberal, he has promoted a lot of socialistic ideas, and it just makes me concerned."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Joshua

Who's Adolph Hitler? Is he in any relation to Adolf Hitler, the Dictator of Germany in the 1930's-40's?

November 12, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  2. Judilee

Many more people than just Mr. Broun have expressed that sentiment.
    I see Obama as a dictator who has a thirst for world power that cannot be quenched.

His socialism in America is just the beginning, but it will be the end for many.

This man is consumed by his own ego and his own history-making election. But just making history is not enough. He'll be known eventually for other less benign achievements.

November 12, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  3. Rad

This guy should be mowing my lawn, not leading the country

November 12, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  4. Robin in SC

Use an "-ism" word in the South and the right wingnuts are riled up! Now he owes three apologies...one to Obama for the stupid remark he made, one for the non-apology apology, and a third just for being an idiot!

November 12, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  5. larry wi

National Security Force, wasn't that the claim to fame of the Black Panthers, who is still in existance, am I onto something here???

November 12, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  6. Steve

This is what happens when you elect stupid people to public office. This guy doesn't know the difference between Hitler, Marx, socialism and communism. He's just using a string of invectives to spew baseless hatred about a man he's done no actual research on. I had hoped that when Palin was put on the bus back to Alaska, this would end. Too much to ask for, I guess. Politicians like this are similar to what's left on your shoe after you walk through a dog owner's yard. Let's hope we can scrape our political shoes of people like this, and move on.

November 12, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |