November 13th, 2008

Awkward press conference for Palin

Palin's pres conference was changed at the last minute.
Palin's pres conference was changed at the last minute.

MIAMI (CNN) – Two hours before Thursday morning’s press conference at the Republican Governors Association — her first since the Republican presidential ticket lost last week — Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin was still scheduled to appear alone. Instead, she spoke with a row of fellow governors standing silently behind her.

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour told CNN producer Evan Glass that they all met at 9 a.m. - an hour-and-a-half before the press conference’s scheduled start time - and by then it had been "decided" that they'd all go out together.

An RGA official told CNN the reason for the change is a "long story."

He said that when the governors were all at their private morning meeting, someone brought up the desire to get beyond what happened in the McCain campaign and look towards 2009 and 2010.

Then, this source said, Palin piped up and said she agreed that she didn't want to talk about the past.

This source insists that it was then decided that the other governors in the meeting would go with her to her press conference as a "show of unity."

The source admitted that it may not have been easy for some "big egos" to go in and stand behind her, but they knew they'd be doing so.

Not present: the conference host, Florida Gov. Charlie Crist. A Florida GOP source tells CNN "he didn't know about it,” because he wasn't at the morning meeting.

In another shift, Palin — who had been slated to take questions for 20 minutes or so - took just four press queries.

Why did Texas Gov. Rick Perry cut it off so fast?

"We were running behind schedule," insisted the GOP official.

Palin may not have wanted to talk about the past, but her speech was almost entirely about the McCain campaign; she included little in the way of detailed ideas about the way forward for Republicans, the theme of the panel.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. INDEPMIND

She just can't get enough, can she? Amazing how she is now using the press to push her agenda. Just the V.P. Debate, she only answers the questions she wants to or can, then starts to babble on like an idiot. Please SHUT HER UP! I would like to change channels and not hear her stupidy..........she drives me nuts.

2. Paige

Does this woman have no idea how painful it is to listen to her? She can't answer a question coherently. She utters nothing but long, run-on sentences. There is a reason grammar invented the period, question mark and exclamation point.

Then there is the whole problem of her being utterly clueless. Does she honestly think she's an effective politician? I think she needs to see a psychiatrist about these delusions of grandeur.

3. Come on CNN

Your article states the press conference was "her first since the Republican presidential ticket lost last week." In fact it was her first press conference since she was catapulted to national prominence in August. She never held a press conference the entire time she was running for Vice President. Absolutely astounding. And she still hasn't had to answer for the dozens of blatant lies and contradictory statements she's made. Reporters – GROW A PAIR!

4. Jay

I'm a republican,
    if if this woman thinks I am going to be voting for her in 2012, 2016 or any other year she is SERIOUSLY fooling herself. I've just had enough of her go away!! go back to eating your moose stew!

5. jim

The problem with Palin is not that she is stupid, or dumb, or an idiot. The problem is that she has nothing of value to add. She, and every other Republican have to figure out how they are going to be relevant in the future. Then they should hold a press conference.

6. Luis

Can liberals comment on anything with resorting to name calling and insults? If the liberal rantings on this site are any indication the answer is a resounding no. AWKWARD?: why do feel the need to say that the GOP lost your vote? You know that there is and has never been a chance that you would vote for a Republican. I get so tired of liberals pretending to be outraged Republicans who can not vote for their party any more.

7. Ken

Good God!!! Awkward???!!! I guess it would be awkward if I considered myself to be an independent, self-aware, conservative governor, and then was told I had to change my schedule to go show sniveling, mute support for one of the most reactionary, politically debilitating figures of the recent campaign. These [R] governors were so worried about getting back on their political feet, and this is how they chose to do it!!!!! Are there ANY brains at all left in the [R] party???? Does that party contain any sentient beings?

8. bob in LA

Sarah Palin has become the Paris hilton of politics- a celebrity only becuase of the media.
    Stop the coverage- she has nothing to say and nothing to offer.
    You Betcha

9. joe rossi

The election is over. Why is this person still in the news day after day?

10. Sue

Palin is a COMPLETE idiot and a fool if she thinks she'll lead the Republicans to any victory. Buffoon, dolt, airhead, and moron are other words that come to mind.

11. darren

she speaks in such broad terms that are mearley a string a words put together....they don't say anything....they don't answer questions.....and they certainly don't improve her image...

she only speaks to the lowest informed group of people that hate Obama and think he is the anti-christ anyway....

she does not have an ability to argue a point and perhaps convince someone that she has a point of view that should be listened to.

family values is no longer a republican talking point....thay don't own this issue.....

12. Yellow Dog Democrat in Texas

Even though I'm a Democrat, I was initially excited about the nomination of Sarah Palin as a U.S. vice president. I also feared that her inclusion on the McCain ticket might sway voters to the GOP. Within a week, I was convinced that Palin was self-serving and willing to exaggerate or fabricate in order to push her agenda. It's a shame that the first woman to reach that close to the vice presidency was such a disappointment. I hope she is soon gone from the national front.

13. Ugh

Why are we still seeing so much about Palin? Are there no better issues to report on??

14. WEndy

America is tired of stupid conniving people. Didn't we show that. If you want me to follow your party put show me your "FEW GOOD PEOPLE" and hide the others. (em..COUGH) Sarah Palin

15. cant be done

The only thing that will change in four years is she will be an idiot on a wider range of subjects. By then she might be able to see china from her house.

16. Sharon Kitchen

of course she "piped up". Good thing they all went out with her.
    Maybe they can help guide her..........................................

November 13, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  17. Erik from Real PA

The woman is a loon.

November 13, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  18. jjc

WE ARE FORTUNATE TO BE GETTING RID OF ONE DUMMY WHO HAS SCREWED THIS COUNTRY UP TO THE MAX.
    NOW THE FACE OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY IS ANOTHER CLUELESS DOPE.
    COME ON PEOPLE, YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN SARAH.
    WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE 'BEST AND THE BRIGHTEST'?

November 13, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  19. supporter

i actually like sarah palin, but it is true she does need to learn a bit more. she needs to learn how to speak better and how to answer questions better. she really needs to learn more about policies. she has potential, but if she continues to stay in the spot light she is going to do herself in. she needs to back off and govern her state and study some more and then come back.

November 13, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  20. Enough Already

I voted for Obama... That said, I am not a hyper partisan and actually weigh what a candidates says and how I feel it will matter in my life and those that I care about.

I have yet to hear anything substantive from Palin. During her interview yesterday with Wolf Blitzer he pitched her a softball when asking her thoughts on the current events. Hello!!! The economy is crumbling all around us, and instead of providing at least one well thought out comment on maybe the auto industry, she gives a non-answer. Something along the lines of " well I don't have an answer for you right now while we're sitting here in these chairs... let's move the country forward"..

What the .....? This is her chance to show me that I could vote for her, yet she wasted it on the same inane non-answers she gave during the campaign.

I'm sorry but she's got a long way to go to win my vote.

November 13, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  21. Em

excuse me, Shamless Liberals will Make Hay out of This- but the term "lib-tards" ?

considering that the vast majority of liberals have above average intelligence, I sincerly doubt most of their actions are born out of reduced mental capacity.

and on another note- if you're so behind Sarah Palin, why are you using terms like "tard" when her own son is mentally disabled?

November 13, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  22. obamaisajoke

what is great about reading some of these comments is that Sarah Palin has done more with her life than any of these jealous losers ever will. I challenge them to tell me what of worth they have done with thier lives.

November 13, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  23. Vanessa

Sarah Palin is dumber than a fruitfly and has the intellect of a lock of hair. What is wrong with Alaskans? Could it be possible that ... that...?

November 13, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  24. Blinker

How is this awkward? It's a press conference.

November 13, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  25. john

The press should ignore her and she will fade away.

November 13, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |