November 13th, 2008

Bidens, Cheneys meet in Washington

The Cheneys and Bidens met Thursday.
The Cheneys and Bidens met Thursday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Vice President-elect Joe Biden and his wife Jill arrived at their future home at Washington's Naval Observatory Thursday afternoon and were greeted as they exited their black SUV by its current residents, Vice President Dick Cheney and his wife Lynne.

The couples shook hands as Mrs. Cheney arranged the photo-op on the front porch, telling Mrs. Biden, “Now Jill, I was told that you were to be in the middle.”

As the foursome headed inside for what was billed as a private meeting followed by a tour of the mansion, a reporter asked Biden if he had been there before.

“I’ve been on the ground floor a couple times,” Biden responded.

Afterwards, a spokeswoman for the vice president wrote in a statement that the meeting lasted 50 minutes and that "it was a good visit."

"Vice President Cheney and his wife Lynne were pleased to welcome Vice President-elect Biden and his wife Jill to the Naval Observatory this afternoon," said spokeswoman Megan Mitchell. "It was a good visit. The Cheneys enjoyed giving the Bidens a tour of the residence and wished them well as they make it their home in January."

A spokesperson for Biden also said the visit went well.

"The Vice President-elect and Dr. Jill Biden met with Vice President Cheney and his wife Lynne at the Naval Observatory this evening. The Bidens thank the Cheneys for welcoming them into their home and for their gracious hospitality," said spokesperson for the Vice President-elect Elizabeth Alexander.

Chances are most of Biden's visits to the residence did not come over the past eight years. The future vice president has been a regular and fervent critic of Cheney, calling him “the most dangerous vice president probably in American history” at the vice presidential debate in early October.

In that same debate, Biden accused Cheney of not understanding that constitution says the job of VP falls under the Executive Branch. In his speech at the Democratic convention, he also joked about Cheney’s understanding of the document.

“For every American who is trying to do the right thing, for all those people in government who are honoring the pledge to uphold the law and honor the Constitution,” Biden said. “No longer will you hear the eight most-dreaded words in the English language, ‘The vice president’s office is on the phone.’”

The Delaware senator also couldn’t resist poking fun at the vice president when campaigning at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma, Washington in mid-October.

“I want to thank you for making this stadium today change, temporarily changing the name from Cheney Stadium to Obama-Biden Stadium for the day,” said Biden. “Besides, if it was Cheney Stadium, we’d be at an undisclosed location. You’d never have been able to find us.”

Biden used Cheney’s November 1 speech in support of John McCain and Sarah Palin to further the Democratic ticket’s case that their Republican opponents would continue the current administration’s failed policies, saying, “It’s not surprising. Dick Cheney has been wrong on everything for the last eight years, he’s on a roll.”

Cheney took on a far more powerful role as vice president than his predecessors had. Biden has said that he hopes to be a ‘confidante’ to president-elect Barack Obama, in the room for the important decisions and offering his judgment.

As for his new home: Biden has said he will still regularly go home to Delaware, though his grandchildren who live nearby in Washington are excited about the move because the new house has a pool.

Filed under: Dick Cheney • Extra • Joe Biden
  1. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Yuck! I'd rather French kiss a rattlesnake than meet Cheney.

November 13, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  2. joe

awkward!!!!

November 13, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  3. New Day

JOE, JILL, DONT EAT ANYTHING, JUST IN CASE!!!!! Oh, I wonder if Cheney will teach him any Sith skills or let him hold his light-saber.

November 13, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  4. Maryland Democrat

I hate saying this, but I can't help it.

Every time Dick Cheney smiles, his face looks so sinister! It's almost like he can't smile naturally, or be in true good humor, unless he is cooking up some evil plot!

November 13, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  5. Jonathan M in a Red State

Biden's got a pretty good lookin' wife. Cheney.....not so much.

November 13, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  6. popeye

My sympathies to the Bidens.
    Has to be worse than a three day weekend with the in-laws!

November 13, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  7. Gun Nut

This most have been the scariest day in Biden's life. I am sure he had a bullet-proof jacket on and made sure not to say anything stupid since he most certainly was being wire-tapped.

November 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  8. GET REAL.

Later reports suggested that Mr. Cheney invited Mr. Biden to go hunting, but Mr. Biden declined, saying that he was fairly sure that plenty of angry white men would be gunning him and Obama come 2009.

Never thought I'd see the day where whites would get a taste of what it feels like to be trapped by societal stereotypes. Expect to see more F-150s "bumpin'" country in rural areas.

November 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  9. big daddy

Just don't go hunting with him Joe !!!!!

November 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  10. John

I bet that was the longest fifty minutes of the lives of everyone involved in that visit.

November 13, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  11. ChicagoJosh

Be careful Joe, he looks hungry.

November 13, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  12. legare

Oh GOD. I hope Biden's secret service is in there with him!!!

November 13, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  13. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia in CA

And, Biden was right (about Cheney).

Get the hell out of our house!!

November 13, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  14. thomas

This looks like a real exiting time for all. This is definitely a gathering of the too much fun club.

November 13, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  15. Peter (CA)

Did Joe make sure the shotgun was locked up when he went in?

I can imagine the conversation:
    Biden--Mr. Cheney, I don't think the Vice President is allowed to do that.

Cheney-Who says, you left wing pansy.

November 13, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  16. Kristina, Seattle

Helloooooooo awkward!

November 13, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  17. hugh ~ california

What a difference a day makes! Cheney and Biden are acting all nice and polite, but I'll bet Cheney would like to take Joe hunting. Oops! My bad Joe, I wasn't aiming at Your head!
    I'll would also guess that Biden is thinking how much he can't wait to see Dick get the notice that his lease is up.
    What I'm longing for is the hope that Dick Cheney will move to an "undisclosed location" and will never be heard of again!
    Good Riddance Dick!

November 13, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  18. N. S. Huntsville, Al

Joe I don't know how you pulled it off, I would have declined being with Cheney the devil, no way in hell, but it's all apart of the game. I noticed Biden just said it was a good visit. I hope Joe wore a bulet proof vest, you Cheney is trigger happy.

November 13, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  19. Biden$

Bidens were like " I really dont want to be here".

November 13, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  20. Farrell

At last; our long national nightmare will soon be over!

November 13, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  21. Vet in Texas

And how was my comment different than GET REAL'S?

November 13, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  22. 3strikes

badluck to you biden and while your on the national stage, "break a leg"

November 13, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  23. Tony

I hope Cheney or is wife didn't plant microphones in either Barak or his wife's clothing.

I would definately want to de-bug after that encounter!

November 13, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  24. JL

Did the Bidens make it out of the snake pit un-harmed?

November 13, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |