November 13th, 2008

Hillary Clinton's name mentioned as possible Secretary of State

Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.
Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.

(CNN) - Two sources close to the Obama transition team tell CNN that Senator Hillary Clinton’s name has been mentioned as a possible candidate for Secretary of State.

One source close to Hillary Clinton tells CNN that as of early yesterday, Senator Clinton had not been contacted by the transition team about a possible cabinet appointment. This same source tells CNN that Senator Clinton would not necessarily dismiss such an offer.

A spokesman for Hillary Clinton, Philippe Reines, tells CNN “Any speculation about cabinet or other administration appointments is really for President-Elect Obama's transition team to address.”

On Monday night, while walking into an awards ceremony in New York, Senator Clinton was asked if she would consider taking a post in the Obama administration. She replied, "I am happy being a Senator from New York, I love this state and this city. I am looking at the long list of things I have to catch up on and do. But I want to be a good partner and I want to do everything I can to make sure his agenda is going to be successful."

1. rose

I do not think it is a good idea for Clinton to be Secretary of State. I think she should be in Health Care or the Supreme Court. But I would rather see Bill Richardson as Sect. of State. World leaders love him.

November 14, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  2. Fiston L

I think obama idea isn't bad to choose hillary clinton as secratary of state ,we all know politics is like soccer team ,even thougth they did fight during race that not the end of the world ,i'll encourage barack obama to realise it , after all she's a brilliant lady and she was first lady for 8years .she is good to be.

November 14, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  3. 30-m-PA-Democrat-voted McCain

This is great news! I think she should have been the nominee, but this will do.

November 14, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  4. andrea

Hillary Clinton would be excellent and well qualified in this or another highest level presedential post.

November 14, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  5. Lauren, San Bernardino, CA

Is this a joke? Is this the change we've been waiting for? If I had know Obama was going to bring in all Clinton people I would have voted for Hillary Clinton. This is a big mistake!

November 14, 2008 02:49 am at 2:49 am |