November 13th, 2008

Hillary Clinton's name mentioned as possible Secretary of State

Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.
Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.

(CNN) - Two sources close to the Obama transition team tell CNN that Senator Hillary Clinton’s name has been mentioned as a possible candidate for Secretary of State.

One source close to Hillary Clinton tells CNN that as of early yesterday, Senator Clinton had not been contacted by the transition team about a possible cabinet appointment. This same source tells CNN that Senator Clinton would not necessarily dismiss such an offer.

A spokesman for Hillary Clinton, Philippe Reines, tells CNN “Any speculation about cabinet or other administration appointments is really for President-Elect Obama's transition team to address.”

On Monday night, while walking into an awards ceremony in New York, Senator Clinton was asked if she would consider taking a post in the Obama administration. She replied, "I am happy being a Senator from New York, I love this state and this city. I am looking at the long list of things I have to catch up on and do. But I want to be a good partner and I want to do everything I can to make sure his agenda is going to be successful."

1. Pack It Up

WEAk ... this is not change. Get rid of the lifers in Washington ... don't give them recycled jobs.

November 13, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  2. JPM

She would be an excellent Secretary of State – she has the high profile, the confidence of the world, and the experience. She has my vote!

November 13, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  3. Nija

This is one smart lady that I know.

November 13, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  4. Sandra

Big Mistake!

November 13, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse NY

I hope she doesn't go to Bosnia. I hear the snipers are terrible this time of year.

November 13, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  6. Kevin

That's how you run a party: reaching out. Not running to the crazies.

November 13, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  7. Tex Ann ~~~~~~~

Actually Hillary Clinton would probably make a GREAT Secretary of State, but I'm not sure if she even wants the job.

Another possibility- Madeline Albright is still a pretty active & very savvy woman.

November 13, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  8. 3strikes

welcome to the 2009 Nobama/Biden/Clinton administration, nice "change"

November 13, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  9. Pat Pa.

I think this would be an excellent choice, however, once again, this news is not coming from the Obama group but from " unnamed sources ". Until it is confirmed by Obama, or a named representative of his group, it doesn't mean a thing.

November 13, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  10. A Woman In California For Obama

Okay before ALL you Clinton supporters (my sister included) start to hate Obama just remember MAYBE she doesn't want to work for his administration because she would have to produce the list of presidential donors from the library. Obama believes in total transparency. Keep that in mind.

November 13, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  11. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

I believe she would be brilliant! Hope she says YES!

November 13, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  12. Libs be dopes

"She replied, "I am happy being a Senator from New York, I love this state and this city. I am looking at the long list of things I have to catch up on and do. But I want to be a good partner and I want to do everything I can to make sure his agenda is going to be successful.""

Which means?

Typical politician

November 13, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  13. michael

She'd be a decent choice if she'll stay in line and not work her own agenda, Palin style.

November 13, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  14. a brighter day

talk about a dream team, sounds good to me.

November 13, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  15. T

It's a good idea.

November 13, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  16. Tina, NC

I don't know about this one. Clinton and Obama had some big disagreements about foreign policy. But, she would be a better pick than Richardson or Kerry plus she'd be great on women and human rights. It wouldn't take much to outshine Condie either.
    Still, I'm not sure she would take it. We'll see.......

November 13, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  17. Dan from Philly

I think she'd be better at AG or H&HS. What foreign policy experience does she have?

November 13, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  18. Gaylon Barrow

SO HILLARY – This is what you sold us out for. Have a good ride for it will end four years from now. Your political future is down the drain. You would support comeone as crooked an immoral as this man means that all the stories that were told about you and Whitewater were true then. You are also crooked.

November 13, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  19. Nia Hussein- Phoenix, AZ

Still waaaayyy to much under lying drama. Obama needs Richardson in the spot or some of the folks who had his back like stink on S*** during the primaries trough the win. Way to much toxic Clinton BS already in the cabinet

November 13, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  20. Janice Illinois

FINALLY!! Go Hillary . We love you . you did your best for him. and your party. You deserve it , you earned it . Now go get , only if you want it. You proved yourself lady and we are proud of you.

November 13, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  21. Shane

She is a horrible person. I know this cop that met her and she the dude like trash...what you know what

November 13, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  22. James McCurdy

Yes I think Hillary would be a good secretary of state, however I do not trust that P.E. BHMO will appoint her. He failed to choose her as a running mate so I have no faith in him choosing her here either.

November 13, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  23. LOU

I think Hillary would be a great Sec. of State. She is a very intelligent lady. She said she likes being a senator from New York. She and Mr. Obama will decide what is best.

November 13, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  24. Yeswedid

I would be satisfied with Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State, though I think I'd much rather see Bill Richardson. Who else will advocate for health care in the Senate for Obama if it's not Hillary?

November 13, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  25. John

I think this would be a great move, I'm sure she is as capable as Condoleeza Rice.

November 13, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |