November 13th, 2008

Hillary Clinton's name mentioned as possible Secretary of State

Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.
Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.

(CNN) - Two sources close to the Obama transition team tell CNN that Senator Hillary Clinton’s name has been mentioned as a possible candidate for Secretary of State.

One source close to Hillary Clinton tells CNN that as of early yesterday, Senator Clinton had not been contacted by the transition team about a possible cabinet appointment. This same source tells CNN that Senator Clinton would not necessarily dismiss such an offer.

A spokesman for Hillary Clinton, Philippe Reines, tells CNN “Any speculation about cabinet or other administration appointments is really for President-Elect Obama's transition team to address.”

On Monday night, while walking into an awards ceremony in New York, Senator Clinton was asked if she would consider taking a post in the Obama administration. She replied, "I am happy being a Senator from New York, I love this state and this city. I am looking at the long list of things I have to catch up on and do. But I want to be a good partner and I want to do everything I can to make sure his agenda is going to be successful."

1. Chase

Hillary is soo much better than bored-me-death John Kerry or backstabber Bill Richardson. Pres-elect Obama, I was a Hillary Clinton supporter and I voted for you because of Hillary convinced me and I believe in you. So far you've done an outstanding job!!!

November 13, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  2. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

Just what we need–Hillary Clinton alienating half the world rather than just half the U.S.

November 13, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  3. Kevin,FL

I would really like if she's offered the position as Secretary of State. This will make a powerful team.

November 13, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  4. ET from OMAHA

WOW Koudos OBAMA! my trust in you is even growing bigger and Bigger. You know how to surrend yourself with very very smart people to get the Job Done.

November 13, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  5. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

I actually think Hilary would be great at this job - and would love to see it offered to her [and I'm NOT one of her disenfranchised fans]. Her talents would be well-used here.

November 13, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  6. New Day

AWESOME!!!!!! Kinda reminds me of Lincoln picking William H. Seward, a senator from New York who was the overwhelming choice to win his party's nomination, as Secretary of State. The parallels are stunning.

November 13, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  7. Reality

Hillary is the only shot to keep us in power in 2012!

November 13, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  8. dEMOBRAT

Ain't gonna happen.

November 13, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  9. Corey

I'm so, so sick of these "anonymous sources close to Obama team."

How many have been right? 15%? 10%? None?

I know people got addicted to political coverage during the campaigns and now that Barack Obama isn't campaigning everyday, the coverage has slowed down while the interest remains high, but grow some journalism balls. Just putting "perhaps" or "allegedly" in front of baseless rumor doesn't make it worthy of news coverage.

November 13, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  10. independent 2008

"Team of Rivals", Obamas hero is Abe Lincoln

November 13, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  11. Rachel

I am waiting for all the Hillary haters to come out. If he offers it to her and she wants she should take it, if she doesn't want it Hillary remain a great senator!

November 13, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  12. Amy in Utah

Are these the same insider sources that CNN reported where saying that Hillary Rodham Clinton was going to Barack Obama's running mate. Does the news media ever learn a lesson?

November 13, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  13. Willy Brown

I wouldn't if I was you Hillary.

November 13, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  14. MD

Clinton is a far better choice than Kerry or Richardson. Her familiarity with foriegn powers and the protocol that goes with dealing with them is a plus.

Also, Obama needs to repay Hillary for delivering Florida and Pennsylvania.

My only hesitation is about how will Bill behave?

November 13, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  15. Ladies and gents

Will all Clintons and Bushes please leave the building-For Good!

November 13, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  16. TjayeInLA

I think she would be a better choice than John Kerry. It sounds funny, but she is tougher than he is. He seems a bit too soft and she has the real pitbull style.

November 13, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  17. Ted:Canada

Obama Canadian Advisor.

yes! let's do it!

good move!

The team will be so GOOD that the Republicans will only see the white house when they take a bus tour just like the other tourists.

November 13, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  18. Rico (Orlando)

Think the nation is served better with Hillary in the Senate/ I am also sure whatever the President-Elect has planned for her will be what he feels is best for the nation without people who don't know forcing his hand.

November 13, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  19. ROCHELLE

I pray to God that she is not the pick for Secretary of State, that is still too close to the President. She is a BACKSTABBER, LIER AND RACIST. She wants that President Position and is going to try to get it by way of something very dangerous I think. She hates the fact that she lost to a Black Man and so does her husband Bill. She is still ducking from Snipper Fire!

November 13, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  20. Justin from New Haven, CT

Didn't she want to annihilate Iran? Terrible choice.

November 13, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  21. Janice Illinois

Just another chance to prove that you should be the first woman President of the United States. You have proven yourself to any serious doubters. You helped him get elected and proved your party loyalty. Any woman who would not vote for you after all you have been thru, cares nothing about the future of women or the equality of their daughters or grandaughters. Go Lady You deserve it. You earned it!!!

November 13, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  22. No Hillary = No Obama

It should have been President Hillary Clinton as far as I'm concerned.

November 13, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  23. laura

I prefer Clinton over Kerry.

November 13, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  24. housport22

In the distant past of our country, the office of Secretary of State was the stepping stone to the Presidency. I feel Senator Clinton's decision to accept such an appointment, if offered, would depend greatly on both her ambition and the amount of years she would devote to public service. As Sec. of State, she would directly represent the president and help to implement policy. She would be the face of America overseas. As a senator, she'd be one of many legislators attempting to craft policy.

November 13, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  25. AJ

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton will be a great candidate for Secretary of State. She is intelligent, strong, experienced, and is capable of tackling foreign affairs that will bring about positive results.

November 13, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |