November 13th, 2008

Hillary Clinton's name mentioned as possible Secretary of State

Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.
Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.

(CNN) - Two sources close to the Obama transition team tell CNN that Senator Hillary Clinton’s name has been mentioned as a possible candidate for Secretary of State.

One source close to Hillary Clinton tells CNN that as of early yesterday, Senator Clinton had not been contacted by the transition team about a possible cabinet appointment. This same source tells CNN that Senator Clinton would not necessarily dismiss such an offer.

A spokesman for Hillary Clinton, Philippe Reines, tells CNN “Any speculation about cabinet or other administration appointments is really for President-Elect Obama's transition team to address.”

On Monday night, while walking into an awards ceremony in New York, Senator Clinton was asked if she would consider taking a post in the Obama administration. She replied, "I am happy being a Senator from New York, I love this state and this city. I am looking at the long list of things I have to catch up on and do. But I want to be a good partner and I want to do everything I can to make sure his agenda is going to be successful."

1. A Real American

I'd rather she were Senate Majority Leader. We need a vertebrate to fill that role, rather than the spineless worm now occupying the position.

November 13, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  2. Sue/PA

Whatever Hillary decides to do, she will excell at...she always has.

Thank You Hillary, for all you have and will do for the good of this Great Nation.

November 13, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  3. Chris Fraser

Well hate her or love her there's no doubt she is the best possible choice .. Go Clinton !!

November 13, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  4. DOCS 3

"NO COMMENT"

November 13, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  5. Justin

She'll be a better advocate, and deal-maker, than our current Sec. of State, that's for sure.

November 13, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  6. Cindy

Hillary Clinton would be a great Secretary of State.

November 13, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  7. Ruth

Go Hillary! You would be perfect. Maybe we can get that eskino woman off the front page. I am a Republican, or I should say WAS a Republican. Palin has turned me against Republicans. Somebody please shut her up!

November 13, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  8. bill for barack

She would be a stronger voice in the Senate, especially once Ted Kennedy is forced to retire.
    Take her at her word.
    Leave her where she is.

November 13, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  9. ME IN FL

It would be the best choice!!! Anyhow Obama is putting all of former Pres. Clinton's cabinet members in his administration, good move!!!

November 13, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  10. LaTeef Alade,GeorgiaforObama

Mrs. Hillary R.Clinton will be a good secretary of state under president elect Barak H.Obama.

November 13, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  11. Republican for Obama - TX

Who else is on the list???

November 13, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  12. Christine

I feel that she would be an excellent Secretary of State and that the two of them actually have an admiration for each other...go Obama/Clinton!

November 13, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  13. Benjamin

The difference between Hilliary and Obama politically are miniscule. They both are progressive intelligent thinkers. The only reason she was not the best choice for vice-pres. was Bill Clinton. His influence would be diametrically opposed to Obsam's platform, subsequently neutralizing Hilliary's contribution to a presidential agenda. As Secretary of State, Hilliary's role would not be conducive to meddling, given the condition of world affairs. Take this position Hilliary ,if offered, because I believe you would be an excellent, firm negotiator on the international stage.

November 13, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  14. Linda32

Not a bad choice.

November 13, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  15. Mike Dallas

As it should be!

November 13, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  16. carl

Good choice if she will take it. everybody love's Hillary .
    Hillary would make a great secretary of state.

we love ya hillary.
    god bless ya.

BUSH THE WORST PRESIDENT WE'VE EVER HAD.

November 13, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  17. Andrew

Don't worry. Obama said he doesn't like old politics.

He'll go with Kerry.

LOL.

Then again maybe Clinton said she woudln't pick up the phone at 3 am to tell Obama how to do his job if she doesn't get a position....

November 13, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  18. hollanda

at the time barack is finish she will be almost as old john is now so
    there is no time too loose

November 13, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  19. Texas Teacher

We shall see what we shall see. I think it would be nice is she played some part in the administration. But I am not Barack Obama! It is his decision, and only he can make it. I have great respect for Hillary Clinton. And I think she will be just fine whatever happens. As well I think Obama will be just fine. He will make the choices for those he feels he can most closely work with to the highest good of all concerned. Tough decisions to make, but I think he is every bit intelligent enough to handle it! :)

November 13, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  20. Jaye

Senator Clinton is the best choice far as I'm concerned.
    That woman is strong as nails and very smart!

November 13, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  21. anti palin pro women

----so what?????????????????????

November 13, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  22. LaVon Hummel

Cool!

November 13, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  23. KLEE

Hillary will do well where ever she serves. I would like to see her in the cabinet – She will do what is right for the country she is very intelligent and I also believe, by-gones is by-gones – the good of the country and the new administration will come first.

November 13, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  24. John S.

There are some that do not like Hillary Clinton and some others do. I believe having Senator Clinton as his Secretary of State, would be the best move Barrack could make. Hillary is a tough lady and believe it or not, most Foriegn Officials know and respect her for her grit and tenacity . They know she doesn't bluff when it comes to the United States. Talk about the "Original Pitbull". No one would even want to mess with Hillary. This move would cement all Clintons followers to Obama and make things a lot easier when dealing with the Democrats as well. Hillary is well respected by both parties.

November 13, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  25. Chris in Va.

In my opinion Hillary is capable of the post, however many nations, especially Middle-Eastern countries, do not respect women and do not recognize their abilities. This is evident in the deterrioration of relations since the Clinton administration (Madeline Albright) through the Bush administration (Condaleeza Rice). To them having to negotiate with a woman, especially one negotiating through strength, is an insult.

November 13, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |