November 13th, 2008

Hillary Clinton's name mentioned as possible Secretary of State

Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.
Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.

(CNN) - Two sources close to the Obama transition team tell CNN that Senator Hillary Clinton’s name has been mentioned as a possible candidate for Secretary of State.

One source close to Hillary Clinton tells CNN that as of early yesterday, Senator Clinton had not been contacted by the transition team about a possible cabinet appointment. This same source tells CNN that Senator Clinton would not necessarily dismiss such an offer.

A spokesman for Hillary Clinton, Philippe Reines, tells CNN “Any speculation about cabinet or other administration appointments is really for President-Elect Obama's transition team to address.”

On Monday night, while walking into an awards ceremony in New York, Senator Clinton was asked if she would consider taking a post in the Obama administration. She replied, "I am happy being a Senator from New York, I love this state and this city. I am looking at the long list of things I have to catch up on and do. But I want to be a good partner and I want to do everything I can to make sure his agenda is going to be successful."

1. Ivory Tower

It would be a dynamic move! Get it done! I cannot see Kerry in this position.

November 13, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  2. joan

I don't think there could be a better person for the job of Sec of State. I hope Obama is wise enough to ask, and I hope HRC would accept this great position.

November 13, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  3. Dee

I'll believe it when I see it.

November 13, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  4. Heather Johnston

How is she a backstabber? Did she not campaign more for her former opponent than any other primary candidate in history? She made mistakes that cost her the election. Good, the better man won. But don't underestimate her talent. Obama certainly doesn't.

November 13, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  5. PL

Excellent choice, go for it. I only worry about all these people that might be pulled from the Senate and the house.

November 13, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  6. Gabriella, LA

Richardson>Clinton>Kerry. Not a bad choice, though. When it's all said and done, she is Hillary Rodham Clinton: one hell of a fighter.

November 13, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  7. ba-Rock says

DO IT!

November 13, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  8. Bill Charlotte,NC

...and are these the same sources that had Christopher and Nunn heading up transition teams? Someone is having a lot of fun taking eager fact-less reporters for a ride.

On the other hand, Hillary would be great.

November 13, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  9. Henry Haider

The Election is over now is the time to work together and make USA the best place on earth to live. Hillary Clinton has the edge and enrgy to make things happen. It would be a great choice, unless the die hard PUMA objects, anyway who cares, not even Hillary.

November 13, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  10. Marty, FL

Clinton would make a great Secretary of State, as would Richardson and Kerry. Everything at this point is speculation unitl an official anouncement is made. I trust Obama will make the right decision.

November 13, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  11. VOTER

Thanks to Obama fund raising abilities Hillary's DEBT WAS COMPLETELY PAID.

November 13, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  12. Finally, a COMPETENT President!

I think she would be an awesome choice. Being from New York, I know Hillary Clinton is a great leader and is a smart woman and she brings a lot to the table. Right now we need competent leaders, and Hillary would (I think) fit well in this role!

November 13, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  13. BJ Bell

Sarah Palin is a complete zero.

I'm glad to see the Republicans keep her in the spotlight.

God only knows what an idiot she is.

BJ

November 13, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  14. Dorothy in NC

I think Hillary Clinton would be a wonderful choice for Secretary of State. She knows the world, it's leaders, the issues and she cares deeply for this country. She also is a team player, wanting Obama's agenda to go thru. It would be very gracious for Obama to offer her the position.

November 13, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  15. JT

Like Obama said, Hillary's name would be on anybodys short list.

November 13, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  16. ryan

Read "Team of Rivals" – Abraham Lincoln did the same thing in picking Stewart as his Secretary of State... but Stewart, while an arch enemy was at least trustworthy. I'm concerned about her twisted nature and what has happened to anyone else that's gotten in her way (not living!). He will just need to remind her who's boss!!!

November 13, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  17. Victor of MN

As long as she doesn't touch healthcare, I'm all for it.

November 13, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  18. Rachel the Baker

SOS:

WISE MOVE. LETS DO IT.

November 13, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  19. Obama 08

I would rather see Bill Clinton as Sect. of State. World leaders love him.

November 13, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  20. Marie

I hope she is the secretary of state and she deserves it.Whatever people that like or dislike about her she deserves it.I also will never beleive she is a racisit.Of course she wanted to win the nomination but so would have Obama had he lost.She have supported Obama like no other opponent could have after losing the primary.I was and continued to be a Obama supporter but come on give Hillary some credit.Foget what she said during the primaries because I'm willing to bet that there was alot of people that voted for Obama that thought also at one time he was not ready but like Hillary we all saw that he was indeed ready to be president.Palin will never be a Hillary Clinton and if she is (Hillary) Obama's secretary of state it will be even harder for Obama to lose for reelection in 2012 so Palin take that to the bank and make a withdrawal for even considering running in 2012

November 13, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  21. steve r

well, i needed a good laugh for today...........

it appears that we shal be governed by political correctness for the next 12 years i see............

the republicans should be in a hurry to find the first gay latino female for their convention in 2012.....and she better be able to give a good speech.......

November 13, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  22. maurice

why should she, she has the job she wants right now. she won`t run again for the presidency. although i wish she would have fought the fight all the way. instead of buckling to the good old boys club. and besides bill is already on his way to the white house. what kind of deal do you think the clintons and obama made to get them on obama`s side? this is starting to look alot like politics as usual. but i`ll still keep an open mind about the whole of it. dont beleive every thing you read and question every thing you see.

November 13, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  23. Duop in Great State of Colorado

A mixture of Chief Strategic Thinker and a Chief Executive Thinker would be an outstanding success for our country and for the world.

November 13, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  24. CanIcallyouJoe

November 13, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  25. Mary WA

Obama will make the right choice at the right time. I will say that Hillary can present herself professionally and command respect-so long as she listens to her President and not her husband. That could be an issue.

November 13, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |