November 13th, 2008

Hillary Clinton's name mentioned as possible Secretary of State

Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.
Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.

(CNN) - Two sources close to the Obama transition team tell CNN that Senator Hillary Clinton’s name has been mentioned as a possible candidate for Secretary of State.

One source close to Hillary Clinton tells CNN that as of early yesterday, Senator Clinton had not been contacted by the transition team about a possible cabinet appointment. This same source tells CNN that Senator Clinton would not necessarily dismiss such an offer.

A spokesman for Hillary Clinton, Philippe Reines, tells CNN “Any speculation about cabinet or other administration appointments is really for President-Elect Obama's transition team to address.”

On Monday night, while walking into an awards ceremony in New York, Senator Clinton was asked if she would consider taking a post in the Obama administration. She replied, "I am happy being a Senator from New York, I love this state and this city. I am looking at the long list of things I have to catch up on and do. But I want to be a good partner and I want to do everything I can to make sure his agenda is going to be successful."

1. joyce

To Rochelle:

Please stop it!!! We Democrats are bigger than that! So please stop the divisiveness. The Clintons have done more for Obama's campaign than Kerry and Richardson together. In case you forgotten, Hillary was in Florida while Bill was in Pennsylvania stomping for Barack during the final days of the campaigne! In fact, their presence alone speaks volumes for Barack. So to have Hillary as a Sec. of State is a GREAT idea because she will do anything to help his agenda.

November 13, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  2. Anonymous

she would be an awesome secretary of state!

November 13, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  3. Larry

I know Bill would be THRILLED!! But I don't think Hillary would be.

November 13, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  4. Sanity has been restored

I think Sen Clinton would be better suited to be Sec'y of Health and Human Services..It would give her a chance to get her most heart felt project going, Universal Health Care... But I'd support any position Obama would offer..She'd do great at any post.

November 13, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  5. KJ

Rochelle,

Get a life.

November 13, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  6. Dennis

If (IF) things go bad for BO, Hillary can't run against him in 2012 as the SOS. However she can as a Senator.

November 13, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  7. slickingdom in N.J.

Great !! Let's have her !! President-Elect Obama should have her on his
    staff in some capacity.

November 13, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  8. Anonymous

Seems like a good one...

November 13, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  9. KJ

Ryan,

Get a life also.

November 13, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  10. Sidi-Haji in IL

She will be a great Secretary of State should she be appointed.

November 13, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  11. Simmy

I'm not into it yet, but I trust my new president and his advisers. If he thinks she is the best choice, so be it!

As far as the critics who keep jumping on the 'why all the Clinton people?' bandwagon go: I say; think about the state of our country at this time. President Obama is coming into an office that is severely damaged. It behooves him to have people who can get the country rolling before day 1. I still say bravo – he's a smart and wise president!

November 13, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  12. Randy, San Francisco

Hillary has been a loyal Democrat by campaigning for Obama. She will do the right thing if called to serve in the Obama administration.

November 13, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  13. Mariel, Ohio

despite my feelings for her I must admit that she would be excellent as Sec of State. No one is going to see her as too soft (like Kerry and Gore) and she has a lot of connections. She also has a different foreign policy vision which would add to debate.

November 13, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  14. Kel

I think she's definitely experienced, well connected, she'll keep America safe, she's very intelligent, world leaders know her... She actually has thought over the national security issue because of her presidential run. Excellent choice! Ready on day one, prevent another 911 (which happened within 100 days of Pres Bush btw).

But unnamed "insiders" are often imagination, and there are too many Senators changing hands. Illinois and Delaware must choose new Senators, and Alaska doesn't have a Senator yet.

November 13, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  15. Leslie Somerville

YES-WHAT A WONDERFUL POSITION FOR SUCH AN INTELLIGENT WOMAN.
    GET IT DONE!!!!!!

November 13, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  16. Voter

There was a lot of speculation that one of the reasons Hillary didn't get the VP spot was because Obama wanted her for Secretary of State. She'd be a much better choice than Kerry.

November 13, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  17. Anonymous

Who cares?

November 13, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  18. Deb

Hillary should have any job she wants, she deserves it !!

November 13, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  19. Briana the college student

I hope so!

November 13, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  20. Daniel

I rather have her stay on the sidelines and run for President in 2012. It is only 4yrs away.

November 13, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  21. jarhead deltona

great choice and im a repulican voter,,,,the clintons will be in congress after backing obama duh

November 13, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  22. Marvin

I agree with Joyce. Rochelle, you need to take a chill pill or something.

I think Hillary or Bill Richardson. I actually like Hillary in that position. The Governor of NY could then select RFK Jr for her seat.

If we have Obama, Biden, and Clinton, that's a powerful cabinet!

November 13, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  23. Dan MN

She lost, she needs to get out of there and go back to Arkansas or wherever she is from.

November 13, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  24. Dan, FL

I wish Dick Cheney well. I will miss him tremendously. The new administration has no clue about economy, security of our country. I hope they learn it now. It was quite easy to criticize when they were in the opposition now they have to put on the shoes. Watch the fun.

November 13, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  25. Charles W. Skinner

You have got to be kidding me. She in NO way has the qualifications to be Sec. of State. Her time as First Lady doesn't even begin to qualify her.

If she gets offered this, it is entirely as an attempt to buy her off from causing havoc in the Obama administration to show the Democrats that they backed the wrong candidate.

November 13, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |