November 13th, 2008

Hillary Clinton's name mentioned as possible Secretary of State

Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.
Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.

(CNN) - Two sources close to the Obama transition team tell CNN that Senator Hillary Clinton’s name has been mentioned as a possible candidate for Secretary of State.

One source close to Hillary Clinton tells CNN that as of early yesterday, Senator Clinton had not been contacted by the transition team about a possible cabinet appointment. This same source tells CNN that Senator Clinton would not necessarily dismiss such an offer.

A spokesman for Hillary Clinton, Philippe Reines, tells CNN “Any speculation about cabinet or other administration appointments is really for President-Elect Obama's transition team to address.”

On Monday night, while walking into an awards ceremony in New York, Senator Clinton was asked if she would consider taking a post in the Obama administration. She replied, "I am happy being a Senator from New York, I love this state and this city. I am looking at the long list of things I have to catch up on and do. But I want to be a good partner and I want to do everything I can to make sure his agenda is going to be successful."

1. tedious898

I honestly believe Hillary (and Bill) were being sincere in their support for Barack since the convention. So under those considerations; Hillary is an excellent choice for the position.

My only concern is if they see eye to eye on the diplomacy issue. Hillary used that as a bludgeon for Obama's proposal to speak to dictators without preconditions. Aside from that ....Let Hillary "open a can of whoop a$$ on these fools" She'd be a good choice – I think

November 13, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  2. Tylenol666

No No No and one More No Times Infinity!

All Due respect but she was a formwe first lady,, and went to the Senate because she had the power to be in the Senate,, but not this! this is the United States of America,, NOT Lets Hire Anoyone States of America!

she was an advocate of Health Care?! great put her in health Care,, Not the Face of the United States to the Outside world!!

The world followed this election like us,, they chose obama over her and to have her siting with world leaders not only sends the wrong message ,, but a very very awful one too

NO NO NO

November 13, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  3. Sheila43302

I told my husband when Obama won that Hillary Clinton would be his choice for Secretary of State and Colin Powell for Secretary of Defense. I'm waiting with bated breath.

November 13, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  4. John

Remember keep your enemies close.

November 13, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  5. Matt

She would be great for Sec of State, also if not that something related to health care.

November 13, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  6. M. Porter

Excellent!

November 13, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  7. tess

boy, now this is change isn,t it? so far everybody named in o'bamas "new" cabinent is an old clintonista! i can't wait for the scandals to begin and with this crowd it shouldn't be long!

November 13, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  8. mike bay

I think hillary is a wonderful choice.Go for it obama you guys will make a great team.

November 13, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  9. Sara from Arizona

Obama, be smart and stay clear of the Clintons. They have seen their day.

November 13, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  10. Washington Observer

Secretary of State – No
    Secretary of Health and Human Services – Yes

Hillary wants to get her and her husband's health care reform pushed through – this is what Hillary and Bill started to do when Bill first took office. This is where she would flourish and succeed

November 13, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  11. Amit

I would say that sounds like a good plan. She has good foreign contacts and is a intellegent lady. Obama should definitely offer her the post.

November 13, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  12. Observer

I think Hillary would be a good choice for Secretary of State. She's been my choice for that position for months. She is well-known and well-liked by world leaders, but more importantly, she has earned their respect. They also know that she is not a pushover and that she is tough and tenacious. They wouldn't want to get on her bad side.

November 13, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  13. To Rochelle

How long ago did you graduate from 7th grade? Do you have any idea how to form a logical argument? You just managed to spew out a bunch of non-sense with no background or support. It's a good thing people like you don't attain elected positions. By the way it's spelled 'liar,' not "lier."

Hillary has done more for minorities than you know, But a person like you would be incapable of knowing that.

November 13, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  14. geno

Hillary would be an awesome pick-up fo Pres. Obama

November 13, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  15. TC

She would be a graet choice!

November 13, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  16. LS

Are you people for real? I just read about 50 comments on Sarah Palin, many who had the nerve to say she is only for SARAH. And now I read all these positive comments about Hillary Clinton? HAS AMERICA GONE MAD?!?!? If there was ever a family that is FOR THEMSELVES it is the CLINTON FAMILY. That was proven OVER AND OVER when Bill Clinton was governer of Arkansas, OVER AND OVER when Bill Clinton was president of America, OVER AND OVER when Hillary Clinton was senator for New York, and OVER AND OVER when Hilllary Clinton ran for the presidential nomination. Has anyone here bothered to research what happens to people who oppose the Clinton family? They get dead! If there ever was a group of people who look out for themselves ONLY it is the CLINTON family. It boggles the mind to think there are so many uneducated, voting, idiots in the United States of America.

November 13, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  17. Arabic

very good, I hope that Hillary Clinton well be a sec of state.

November 13, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  18. Phil

We need the smartest and the best people we have right now in this time of instability.

November 13, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  19. desertdog1

I think it would be a solid move for both Obama and Hillary.

Straw Poll – What do people think of Powell for Secretary of Defense?

November 13, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  20. Julio

Hell yes! Forget Kerry, he had his change. Go Hillary go!

November 13, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  21. Bob

Obama I hope is seeking some form of punitive measures aimed at those persons and politics that have prevented minorities and even some ethnic groups from being fairly represented in our gov. No punitives= it WILL happen again.

November 13, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  22. Karl

I was for it at first. But the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of her working on health care. I think she can do a better good there. What do you think?

November 13, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  23. Julio

Forgive my grammar. I meant Kerry had his chance, not change.

November 13, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  24. Lui

Excellent choix.
    C'eût été une équipe (Barack, Biden and Hillary) gagnante.
    Bravo Mr le Pésident !

November 13, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  25. Mike, Syracuse NY

Wow, just look at the Hillary and Obama supporters go at each other. Where's the love? Don't count out Hillary running against Obama in 2012 for the nomination.

November 13, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |