November 13th, 2008

Hillary Clinton's name mentioned as possible Secretary of State

Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.
Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.

(CNN) - Two sources close to the Obama transition team tell CNN that Senator Hillary Clinton’s name has been mentioned as a possible candidate for Secretary of State.

One source close to Hillary Clinton tells CNN that as of early yesterday, Senator Clinton had not been contacted by the transition team about a possible cabinet appointment. This same source tells CNN that Senator Clinton would not necessarily dismiss such an offer.

A spokesman for Hillary Clinton, Philippe Reines, tells CNN “Any speculation about cabinet or other administration appointments is really for President-Elect Obama's transition team to address.”

On Monday night, while walking into an awards ceremony in New York, Senator Clinton was asked if she would consider taking a post in the Obama administration. She replied, "I am happy being a Senator from New York, I love this state and this city. I am looking at the long list of things I have to catch up on and do. But I want to be a good partner and I want to do everything I can to make sure his agenda is going to be successful."

1. Kevin

very good choice

November 13, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  2. John

Not that I think she would take it, but she would make a decent SecState if it came down to that. I think the Obama transition people need to at least make a sincere offer of something at the cabinet level. With her interests in both child welfare and health care, it would make more sense for her to take Health and Human Services, continuing what she started in President Clinton's first term.

November 13, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  3. BJ Bell

She kinda reminds me of the Movie "Basic Instinct" when the villain just wouldn't go away, Please Sarah just go back to doing what ever it was that you were doing before you tried to be "Prime Time".

God, Please help her find the way back home.

BJ

November 13, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  4. Myles, New Orleans

I would rather see her as a Supreme Court Justice. I believe that would be a better role for her.

November 13, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  5. ABG

Hillary Clinton would be a great Secretary of State. Forget John Kerry.

I hope she gets the offer!

November 13, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  6. andrew of california

Give me my campaign contributions back! Like everyone else for Obama I stopped contributing after the primaries until he announced his VP. I started back up when I thought she was out of the question. Now she will be Secretary of State after pissing off all the arab countries of the world...? How is Obama going to achieve anything with the players we need to achieve with if the front person is their sworn enemy. This isn't about polarization. This is about personnel. Make her a Supreme Court Justice. But keep her out of the geo-political decission making process or there will be nothing but conflict.

November 13, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  7. keekers

To LS,
    You are obviously an idealogue devoid of courage. If you had any, you'd look at the state of the nation after 8 years of Clintons vs. state of the nation after 8 years of the great national sodomizer (your president) W.
    YOU are the idiot.

November 13, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  8. vjohn-north carolina

i believe that Hillary would make a fine secretary of state, however we don't want too loose too many strong senior senators from the senate, because their replacements may not be able to hold on to the seats in the next elections.

November 13, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  9. jamaicaland-welove

the clinton factor is a problem...i think she's smart and experienced ..but i also believe there are far more qualified persons to fill the position as sec- of -state...

November 13, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  10. Jocely

Not a bad idea.

J.
    NY

November 13, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  11. Mama

She told way to many lies for me.

November 13, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  12. primarywatcher

No, NO, and OH H#** NO!!! This is yet another Clinton ploy – the leak, her answer "possibly", you name it – so she can sabotage the Obama administration for her effort to run in 2012. Remember, she tried to run her ticket on "experience", with Secretary of of State, she'll use it – to no end. Further, she's always been profoundly self-serving at all costs. Think she's turned a new leaf? Riiight. Obama, paleeeeese, don't fall for this. Go bi-partisan. Go CHUCK HAGEL! Offer Hillary the Supreme Court where they can hold her accountable for integrity.

November 13, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  13. Kevin

I'm tired of hearing "Hillary deserves it."
    You don't award this position based on nepotism.
    That said, I think she would be wonderful in the position:
    State-Hillary, Energy-Richardson, Defense-Clark,
    H&HS- Dean. Homeland Security-Powell. Well there's a
    guess. I'm sure B.O. will make wise picks regardless.

November 13, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  14. VETS4Obama

Hey 3 strikes quit your hate spewing ignorant comments! Go to Alaska where you can be a Palin groupie! With haters like you the Repugnantcan party earned their minority status and will keep it for a long time!

November 13, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  15. Rosie

Not my idea of change. This is not why I voted for Obama. There are better choices. I think she would be of more useful by remaining in the Senate. New blood is vital.

November 13, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  16. Katz4

No better choice than Hillary!!

November 13, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  17. LeAnn

Although I am a Clinton supporter and am glad to see Bush go, I actually think Condoleeza Rice should stay in the position. She has the back ground and rapport to help facilitate foriegn policy.

November 13, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  18. Brandon4Hillary

Secretary of State?? She still was the BEST choice for president!!

There isnt a thing she would have to "learn" on the job.

I will always be disappointed the best -woman-didnt get the job

PUMA!

November 13, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  19. Clinton Supporter

Nobody would be better than Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State.

As for being more "hawkish" than Obama because she wouldn't set a date certain for withdrawal from Iraq, as soon as was designated as the candidate, Obama backed away from ALL of his "liberal" positions!

He even suggested he would invade Pakistan in search of Bin Laden if the Pakistanis refused him permission – how hawkish is THAT?

PS: Don't think for a minute that the "rift" in the Democratic Party is healed. At least we see the last of Howard Dean – what a self-serving pompous creep he is.

Unless I see Clinton in a senior position, this voter will NEVER go back to the Democrats – and neither will anyone else I know.

November 13, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  20. scraphappy

GO HILLARY!!! She would be awesome as Secretary of State, she is very intelligent and experienced, I hope she is asked and she ACCEPTS!!

November 13, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  21. Chipster

Coco: Why would Hillary Clinton "...curse out every head of State on Planet Earth?" Where do these sort of comments come from? Sen. Clinton has a reputation for being professional, smart, and focused. These silly projections are completely baseless. It's a mystery to me why people feel the need to project their attitudes on people they don't even know.

I'd prefer that Sen. Clinton stay in the Senate. We need all the votes we can get there but that's up to our new President and the Senator. She's a capable and dedicated public servant.

November 13, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  22. Greg Hodges

Given the tremendous positive response internationally to the Nov. 4 election of Barack Obama; plus the goodwill the Clinton`s generate globally toward the U.S.; it seems like a no-brainer to ask Hilary to become the new Sec.of State. I feel a lot of healing went on in the latter stages of the presidential campaign occured between Obama & the Clinton`s; and the idea of the DREAM TEAM may yet come true!!!

November 13, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  23. R

they said she was considered as VP, but that was a lie, therefore I don't believe this

November 13, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  24. Tim E

I simply refuse to believe that a U.S. Senator would return to a secretary's position. Does a secretary have to take 3 am calls? How's her shorthand? If she types as fast as she talks, we're talking a pretty low wpm score. Didn't Monica aspire to being a secretary? I think she'd be a great Education exec; she's had to raise two children at home. And we know she can read at least two books; she did write two, right? I think Sarah would be a good selection for press secretary; when she spoke for the President, we'd always know the story had legs. Of course if she were Secretary of State she'd have a head start, what with her intimate knowledge of her back yard neighbor. The best Hillary can tell us is that there is gambling in Atlantic City.

November 13, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  25. Lisa

Good choice ....Good Idea...We need the best of the best right now. Obama is the change, but he needs to be around some of the best people in the World to fix the mess Bush will leave behind. I feel sorry for the President, but may God Bless him. I am looking forward to Obama taking office.

By the way Hillary is the reason that Obama is President. She put him threw Hell and Back, but look what it did....MADE HIM STRONG.

November 13, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |