November 13th, 2008

Hillary Clinton's name mentioned as possible Secretary of State

Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.
Clinton and Obama campaigned together this fall.

(CNN) - Two sources close to the Obama transition team tell CNN that Senator Hillary Clinton’s name has been mentioned as a possible candidate for Secretary of State.

One source close to Hillary Clinton tells CNN that as of early yesterday, Senator Clinton had not been contacted by the transition team about a possible cabinet appointment. This same source tells CNN that Senator Clinton would not necessarily dismiss such an offer.

A spokesman for Hillary Clinton, Philippe Reines, tells CNN “Any speculation about cabinet or other administration appointments is really for President-Elect Obama's transition team to address.”

On Monday night, while walking into an awards ceremony in New York, Senator Clinton was asked if she would consider taking a post in the Obama administration. She replied, "I am happy being a Senator from New York, I love this state and this city. I am looking at the long list of things I have to catch up on and do. But I want to be a good partner and I want to do everything I can to make sure his agenda is going to be successful."

1. o.O huh?

Might be a good idea....if they can just shut Bill up. It would be interesting. Hillary i guess would be a good person to have in his corner

November 13, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  2. Tracey

Hillary would be a great choice. I think that if I were the pres
    that is my first choice, or at least at the top of the list.

November 13, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  3. Sue

"This is not change." OK This is the Secretary of State job-who do YOU think is qualified...Sarah Palin? All these Cabinet level jobs require intelligence, savvy, and yes, Washington and world experience, so they will all go to people whose names we already know. I am glad he is surrounding himself with people who don't always agree with him. That shows that he is confident enough to take advice, weigh options, and not be another "Decider" who only listened to Cheney.

November 13, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  4. Nessa

She would be great!!!

November 13, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  5. Anne

Its not anyone decision but Obama's and Clinton's

November 13, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  6. Earl

The funny thing about this is: Do you think Hillary would have had Barack in her cabniet, had she won? I doubt it. That just goes to show you that Barack is about bringing in the best people he can regardless of past differences.

November 13, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  7. Niki, New Jersey

I voted for Barack Obama and with that vote I gave him the discretion to use his judgement to select a cabinet that he feels will best serve the interests of the American people both domestically and abroad. The names that are being floated around are all highly qualified for the job. I don't particularly care for Mrs. Clinton on a personal note but I have tremendous respect for her ability and I think she will be the most aggressive and thus effective. I feel that Bill Richardson has the perfect resume but maybe lacks the charisma to take on world leaders and leave a lasting impression. John Kerry is a well respected political leader in this country and has strong recognition abroad but I think he lacks that certain something that probably lost him the election in 2004. But as I said before, if it is any of the above mentioned or someone off the radar we must have confidence that our new President has the made the right choice. It is that very confidence that sets our democracy apart from the rest of the world and proves that in our relatively young history we emerged as the strongest and most unfied people on earth.

November 13, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  8. Deb

What an excellent choice !

November 13, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  9. Barb

I am so over this all. First, the Clinton's are racist. Next Hillary is not qualified (has much more experience than Obama). Then Obama gets the nomination and you little Obama cry babies say no way to her being the VP pick. Then Obama chooses Biden. Next you litte cry babies say Hillary isn't doing enough to campaign on behalf and with Obama. Just shut up already. Nothing seems to satisfy you guys. Go wipe the snot from your noses and hold on to your mama's apron strings, cause that is where you belong. You all are so stupid, can't decide which way you want it. Most confused group of butt-munches I have ever seen.

November 13, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  10. Vic

To date, this makes as much sense as Obama's appointment of Rahm Emanuel. Having both working for him puts the president elect in the brilliant category. Two of the most qualified and able people, I say "Way to go, Mr. Prez!"

November 13, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  11. primarywatcher

Hillary? NO. Definitely not Hillary. Clinton's have a tendency to permeate every crevice in order to serve themselves. And it would be hard to trust her with Secretary of State, in leu of the fact she still has her eyes set on making history in 2012.

Go CHUCK HAGEL! COLIN POWELL – Yes! WESTLEY CLARK – Great!! Offer Hillary the Supreme Court where they can hold her accountable for integrity.

November 13, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  12. Rob

She could get anything she wanted from visiting diplomats – just invite them for a nice stroll in Ft Marcy Park

November 13, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  13. Independent

I don't know? I think she would be better heading the health care system since that is her strong point isn't it?

November 13, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  14. Jeff

It is a fallacy to believe that the decision belongs solely to Clinton and Obama. Congress must confirm the president's cabinet appointments.

November 13, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  15. KJL

At this very minute Sarah Palin is flat on the ground, screaming and pounding her fists..........

At least she would be if she read the news.

November 13, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  16. Peter (CA)

I would rather Hillary stay in the Senate and be named majority leader. That would be a position of great power for her. For secretary of State, I say Sam Nunn.
    He's been in Washington a while but a tough negotiator who can be the face of Obama's foreign policy.

November 13, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  17. Tiff of lithia springs

I do like Hillary but I think I like Bill Richardson more. I do remember her fight in the 90s for healthcare. Even though as a health provider i'm doubtful the the universal health care approach will receive a warm reception I think should would do the crusade best in the Senate.

November 13, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  18. Paul

Sen. Clinton is an excellent choice for Secretary of State!! I hope if she is offered the position, she says yes.

November 13, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  19. Melissa

Hmmm.... it would be a good move. Despite the fact that I think Hilary is just as childish as McCain.

November 13, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  20. ObamaClintonfanster

Outstanding choice! She's brilliant, eloquent, has already established a comfortable and respectable rapport with foreign leaders, and has been fully vetted out the kazoo. Do it Hillary!

November 13, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  21. jeff

Now thats a good idea.

November 13, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  22. JC

Do you know anything about politics? Nobody needs to confirm any of the President's appointments in his cabinet. Get your facts straight before you start sounding like Sarah Palin.

November 13, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  23. brenkatz

I trust President Obama's decisions,
    if he thinks that Senator Clinton would be a good Secretary of State then I agree 100 %

November 13, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  24. G.R.I.T - Girl Raised in the South

I really wish people would get off the Ron Paul bandwagon. What is so great about this guy? He's two-faced if you ask me (not that anyone did, of course). He's for smaller, limited government, yet wants to interfere in a woman's personal reproductive choices and what goes on in the bedrooms and hearts of grown adults. Hmmmm, doesn't sound like small government to me. Sounds like nosy big brother, but with low taxes and no regulation. Thanks, but no thanks.

November 13, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  25. Peter (CA)

Dan, FL-

Uhhh, you wandered into the wrong thread. No one here wants to hear about Satan....sorry, I mean Dick Cheney.

If you believe he has made us safer, you are delusional. The imperialistic policies that Cheney pushed and Bush let go have put us in the crosshairs of more and more extremists. We have trod on their sacred soil, we have killed their families, and we have done so with impunity. We call it "nation building", they don't.

Obama may not be able to repair that damage but I bet he is able to bring this country goodwill from its former friends once again.

November 13, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |