November 13th, 2008

Lengthy application for job with Obama

(CNN) - Want a job in Barack Obama's administration? Be prepared to fork over nearly every detail of your life.

CNN's Suzzane Malveaux obtained the seven-page questionnaire that asks applicants to reveal everything from tax returns to blog posts.

Check out the application [PDF]

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Youtubby

CNN, again, this is getting ridiculous..I am talking about the Palin coverage. I know that the more people who click on the story, the more you think you have to run the story just so you can get readers. But to be completely honest, the majority of those clicking are clicking to tell you how fed up they are with your coverage of her. So please do us all a favor and stop the madness. I know at least 10 people including myself who have started switching the channel everytime her name comes up on your network. Please lets focus on the important things happening ie the economy, the war, etc. Those are really more desired news stories than Palin this, Palin that. If you dont have a story, heck do one on the soldiers dying in Iraq.

November 13, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  2. Paul, Riverside, CA

Note to GOP, use this when vetting future VP picks.

November 13, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  3. paul (staunch Moderate)

This list of requested information is nothing compared to what I went through in getting cleared for my position in the military almost 40 years ago....

November 13, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  4. Allan G.

How come he doesn't have to fill out a lengthy application. All he had to do was have a fit if anyone asked him of his background, and the media came to his rescue...Stick to issues!...Stick to the issues!....

No way could this guy get a security clearance in my day. Admit to using drugs, or say more than one word to a known communist, let alone terrorist, and... NO CLEARANCE FOR YOU...NEXT

November 13, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  5. Joanna

Oh boy, That is a long one. I am working on mine.

November 13, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  6. janine

Do people actually know what the meaning of socialism is? Do they know the ties that McCain and Paling have?
    LOL at the people who are still calling Obama a socialist. They don't realize that socialism already exists in the United States and these were implemented by Republicans.

November 13, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  7. Jeff from Jersey

It's better that they all come clean now rather than wait until they are indicted.Far too many have thought that they wouldn't get caught with their dirty laundry only to find that the smell gave them away.

MR.PRESIDENT-ELECT,

It's a good start.There will be those that will still lie anyway but you'll scare some of the worst off before they get a job they shouldn't have.Those that still lie will have their lies on paper so you can easily give them the boot if it comes out that they did have something to hide.

It's a step in the right direction in getting rid of corruption in government and I applaud you for it!

November 13, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  8. Stara

You should be proud of a detail orianted chief, a person who really wants to be a leader, wants to select only the best and surounding himself with the best by vetting properly.
    Government is NOT the job of ANY hollow person. It needs a lot of talent and focus such as we see in Obama to start it Right.

November 13, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  9. Ryan - Troy, MI

Since someone as inexperienced as Obama can become President, maybe I can become the Secretary of State!!

Faye, NV – RELAX!! Everyone bashed McCain and Palin so it's fair to get on Obama a bit. It's just in fun. I'm not leaving this country but if you don't believe in free speech maybe you should go.

November 13, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  10. Independent

Nothing wrong with being thorough, but it is only fair to note that when people in America (not just right-wing nutjobs, but actual independent thinkers) spoke up and wanted to know the same about Obama, the media and the left-wingers drowned them out. They kept saying how Obama's been in news coverage for the past two years. While that may be true, that doesn't mean the media was giving us anything substantial and this detailed IN the news coverage.

We don't know this much about Obama, and it's my opinion that applying for the job of the president should require more vetting than any other job.

I still support him, though, and like I said there's nothing wrong with this level of vetting. He's our president

November 13, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  11. Nobama

It's funny how all the followers said he's not my president when Bush was elected but now everyone that doesn't agree with BO has to shut up and take it? Typical liberal; always so "open-minded" and "accepting" unless you don't agree with them and then you are just scum or, worse, a republican. This country is doomed

November 13, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  12. hitobito

This application is nothing compared to the application and scrutiny I underwent went I went to work for a branch of the US government that specializes in espionage. And I already had a Top Secret Codeword Special Intelligence clearance when I applied! I wonder if that employment would disqualify me for a position in the Obama Administration? Nevermind, I'm way too old now anyway!

November 13, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  13. jamaica watch

he has a large task, needs the best minds down to the least person to surround him
    i have filled out applications that are more than 9 pages, if you want the job, it will not stop you. Go Mr President-elect

November 13, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  14. Tired of Repubs

I guess, if you can't find anything more substantial to criticize than a page count, Obama must be doing pretty well indeed. ;)

November 13, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  15. Tom

Why does it say "Clinton" in the margin?

November 13, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  16. NoPalin

David "paranoia, mistrust, disdain for all around them, iron-fisted control" You have just described the Bush administration to a tee. Fascism personified, and if he had his way, he would be dictator-in-chief. I don't know about you, but I look forward to an administration that reads and understands and lives by the Constitution, instead of the current one that just ignored the parts that held them accountable to US, and rewrote the rest to suit them and their rich cronies around the world. Obama is trying to find qualified, honest, Americans for these jobs, not hiring his cronies and cronies from daddy's administration. I am thankful.

November 13, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  17. Ian Vandendool

That's tremendous. Think about it, if Obama is that meticulous with the people he brings onto his staff, imagine how tight he'll be fiscally. I'd love to see him uncover a huge pile of taxpayers' money. Think of every dollar put into a bus, every cent of tax on a can of Pepsi, every person's cheque every payday.. every single day taxes are paid and maybe it'll take a democrat to make every dime it go to work.

November 13, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  18. Matt

Lets be clear....CNN states this is an application however this is merely a questionaire and we have no clue on what positions this is for? Most likely this is for Cabinet faced positions.

Where is the rest of the documents?

November 13, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  19. Liberian in Toronto

To ALL the bloggers complaining about the Obama's vetting questionnaire, how the heck is he going to change how business is done in Washington if he does not put in place a thorough vetting process? Do you guys/ gals favor patronage appointment or do you guys/gals want ALL those with clean record in government? I have read the entire document and there is nothing wrong with the questionnaire, considering what went in the last 8 years of Bush's adminstration...

November 13, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. Bridgette-PA

Well, I guess I'll never get a job with the Obama Administration because I have defended him for 21 months on the blogs! The things that I have written were not nice. Even though I was defending OBAMA!

November 13, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  21. maynard hopkins wi

wHO WOULD WANT TO WORK FOR THIS PERSON ANYWAY. HE HAS TO MANY TIES TO CORRUPT PEOPLE IN AND OUT OF THE U.S.A.

November 13, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  22. Georgia Girl

Obama has to do this because all of you hate filled right wing nuts are going to lie in waiting for any and eveything to jump on him for. God forbid he hired someone that happened to be in the same room as someone who might have done something, then those folks will be all over him. He is just making sure he doesn't give people any reason to start up on him.

November 13, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  23. Vic

I'll work for his administration for free!

November 13, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  24. nancy hughes

I will tell you libs who is doing the vetting...Michelle. She's the boss and is she ever after Whitey. You got what you wished for and now we just have to sit and see what CHANGE AND HOPE mean. So far that's all you voted for or saw in this man's great speeches, hope and change we can believe in! You guys think you are sick of Palin you have no idea how sick we are of those words or obama's loud pastoral voice.

November 13, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  25. Hillary supporter for obama

It is a smart thing to do and should be done by everyone in office when fielding for jobs... We would be very stupid to hire anyone without knowing their complete background. We wouldn't have so many people with unregistered hand guns or unsafe airports attended by untrained idiots if management were doing the same with their hires!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obama- SMART MANAGER!