November 13th, 2008

McCain back on the campaign trail

Former GOP presidential nominee John McCain will campaign for Saxby Chambliss Thursday.

(CNN) – Nine days after losing the presidential election to Barack Obama, John McCain is back on the campaign trail.

The former GOP presidential nominee will stump for fellow Republican senator Saxby Chambliss today in Georgia.

The freshman senator most likely faces a run-off election December 2 against Democrat Jim Martin, a former state lawmaker.

At the start of the campaign, Chambliss was the heavy favorite in the race. But the contest tightened, and neither candidate won more than 50 percent of the vote on Election Day, thanks in part to a third-party candidate who won 3 percent of the vote. The race appears headed to a runoff between Chambliss and Martin.

The runoff is expected to become official later this week, after the state certifies the election results. Unofficial tallies show Chambliss with 49.8 percent of the vote, just short of the 50 percent plus one vote need to win. Martin has 46.8 percent of the vote.

McCain will join Chambliss at a campaign rally in suburban Atlanta this afternoon. McCain won Georgia's presidential vote 52 percent to 47 percent. President Bush carried the state by 17 points in his 2004 re-election victory.

Former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee is expected to campaign for Chambliss in Georgia this weekend, and an appearance by another former Republican presidential candidate, Mitt Romney, is also possible.

Martin is hoping that President-elect Obama will come down to Georgia for an assist. While there's no guarantee that will happen, Obama is dispatching campaign aides to Georgia to help Martin in his runoff efforts.

A victory by the Democrats in Georgia could help determine if the party reaches its goal of reaching 60 Senate seats, which would give the Democrats a filibuster-proof majority in the chamber. A filibuster is a move that allows the minority party in the Senate to stall and even block votes on legislation. Sixty votes are needed to overcome a filibuster.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Toni

To 1/20/13

Get your facts straight and don't generalize if you don't know all the facts. I am a 58-year-old happily married woman who retired as a Federal auditor who thinks that Sarah Palin would be a disaster as President. And, by the way, my hair isn't short.

November 13, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  2. BM

Did I just hear someone refer to Palin as Evita? Wow! The only reason viewers watch her is because she has become a comedy act. Watch out Leno and Letterman!

November 13, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  3. N. S. Huntsville, Al

This is a shout out to "PAILN" famous quotes

You know, sad because I knew had hard that our ticket had worked. Again, I'm convinced today, as much as I was along the campaign trail, that John McCain is a true American hero and he does have solutions that need to be...

You betcha and then cause i think andBristol, I love McCain bless his heart, he I think well ya know, its not me its main stream terroist, I love Obama pray go to church when in Alaska. (BREATH) Because there is ya know somethang special when voters need me to when I campaign i will be in senate if the Republicans well its up to God and if the door opens closes shut I'll penn right in through the side woman need to have lots of babys don't use protection no abortions and speak in toongues and so I love America gosh darnet.

PAILN IS THE OTHER WHITE MEAT (pork) ITS JUST NOT GOOD FOR YOUR HEALT!

November 13, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  4. Patrick

If this were a more worthy republican candidate, it would be a different story. Problem is, this guy seems like a total scumbag. Too bad he's the only thing republicans have to work with. Again they sell their souls for one last gasp at power. Pathetic. I expect more of John McCain.

November 13, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  5. CnoMorePalin in N.C.

Round 2...okay Clintons and Obamas time for another knock out!

November 13, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  6. Sen. Satan

I don't think the devil himself is demonized this much.
    :-(

November 13, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  7. ralph tyler

Our Senators write books (with ghostwriters) and jet around the country. They do everything except for their jobs.

November 13, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  8. Cynthia; Bham

For the good he did himself he might as well stay home or go on back to the Senate and do the job he was elected to do because I don't think it will be a difference.

November 13, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  9. Crystal Plummer

Doesn't he have a job to do??

November 13, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  10. Wisdom

This is getting crazy...
    They're finding votes in the trunks of cars in MN, and all the votes they find are for Franken... a bit odd I think.

I know some will say the election in 2000 was stolen... even though every recount done after came up with the same result. Voter fraud by anyone is a serious risk to our way of life. I don't care which party you like... it's a very, very, slippery slope.

For my country I hope these elections are legit... and for that reason I'm glad to see a run off.

November 13, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  11. Craig in Washington

Go for it , John! The Dems can use another Senate seat.

November 13, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  12. Dan

Since the election the markets have tanked...thanks to the investors fears of an Obama presidency. The insurgents in Iraq have become embolden...thanks to their jubilation over a the election of a spineless candidate. And Iran and Russia are saber rattling. Thanks to everyone that voted for Barry. If this is any indication of things to come...I can't wait! I sure hope these next four years go quickly...lol.

November 13, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  13. Frank Lee

He'll help Chambliss go down with GOP ship.

Keep talking, John.

November 13, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  14. LMC in Seattle

It seems odd that McCain would campaign for someone who has practiced such dirty politics, but with McCain's campaign record this year, apparently that doesn't matter to him anymore.

To "1/20/13," women's groups probably didn't back Palin because of her narrow-minded views, not because she didn't fit into your pre-conceived stereotype of female liberals. It was Palin's narrow and unyielding views, as well as her divisiveness and lack of global knowledge that turned me off.

November 13, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  15. Philip

Saxby Chambliss is a disgrace for running such a smear ad against Max Cleland. Not only does he have the gall to accuse Cleland of lacking patriotism (after the man sacrified much for his country), he adds oil to the fire by posting Cleland's picture next to Osama Bin Laden's photo.

Chambliss makes me ashamed to say I'm a native of Georgia.

November 13, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  16. Susan, NC via LA

Party first.

November 13, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  17. morgan thomas

McCain is still campaigning because he and everyone else knows what is coming and the Sercret Service is not sleeping.

November 13, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  18. Retired USN, Norfolk VA

With McCain helping him it guarantees another democratic seat, way to go John

November 13, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  19. A Canuck

I feel sorry for Chambliss....now he'll lose.

November 13, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  20. NYer

Why dont you LIBERAL ANIMALS have some respect for a man who GAVE to his nation. BARRY was, is and always will be ON THE TAKE !!!!

November 13, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  21. Mike

Ask Sarah Palin for advise also too. Cause she can like use her personal Email to send Government business and she can Google Russia and then see it from her house ya betcha. The fact that idiots in the GOP are trying to run moose barbie in 2012. Shows that this election taught the GOP nothing.

November 13, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  22. GA peach

Gee whiz, I was hoping Joe the Plumber would show up.

November 13, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  23. PASQUALE

ALL McCAIN HAS TO SHOW FOR HIS POLITICAL CAREER IS LOOSING. MAYBE HE CAN TRANSFER SOME OF THAT KARMA TO CHAMBLISS.

November 13, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  24. John

yes please mcsame rally the 30% so we can gain another seat please you are the most effective ,sorry third most effective campaigner for us after bush and palin. Go democrats.

November 13, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  25. DebM, Allentown, PA

McCain is a party elder, and as such, it's appropriate that he go campaign on behalf of party members. However, he's made his disdain for Saxby Chambliss clear in the past, so you have to wonder how he can reconcile his distaste for the man with his stumping for him.

Now, Palin, on the other hand. Get that woman OFF the national stage! She is a train wreck.

November 13, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |