November 13th, 2008

Obama announces resignation from Senate seat

Sen. Obama is giving up his seat in the Senate.
Sen. Obama is giving up his seat in the Senate.

(CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama has announced that he will officially resign his Senate seat as of this Sunday.

“It has been one of the highest honors and privileges of my life to have served the people of Illinois in the United States Senate,” he said in a statement released by his campaign Thursday.

“In a state that represents the crossroads of a nation, I have met so many men and women who’ve taken different journeys, but hold common hopes for their children’s future. It is these Illinois families and their stories that will stay with me as I leave the United States Senate and begin the hard task of fulfilling the simple hopes and common dreams of all Americans as our nation’s next President.”

Obama’s Senate office will close sometime within the next two months. His Senate staff will spend that time coordinating with his replacement, advising constituents with open requests, and archiving documents for Obama’s presidential library.

Several Illinois Democrats - including Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. and Iraq war veteran Tammy Duckworth, a former congressional candidate who now serves in Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s administration – have been mentioned as possible Senate replacements for Obama.

Blagojevich, who will appoint Obama’s successor, announced last week that he was assembling a panel to vet likely candidates. Obama’s replacement would be up for re-election in 2010.

Vice president-elect Joe Biden – who was also re-elected to his Delaware Senate seat on November 4 - told an interviewer several weeks ago that he would resign when he's sworn in as vice president in January.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Mike, Syracuse NY

List of accomplishments in the Senate:

um, still thinking.

November 13, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  2. KOOKOO Va

CONGRATULATION MR PRESIDENT FOR A JOB WELL DONE.
    YOU HAVE WIN THE HEART OF AMERICA.GOD BLESS

November 13, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  3. Dee

I've never cared about a political figure as much as I care about Mr. Obama. I sincerely wish him all the best, and if I could, I'd tell him that for the first time in my life - since he's been elected - I feel like we as a nation are in extremely good hands. I feel safe. He's had such a soothing effect on my psyche and on the American psyche. I look forward to the next four years. Good luck Mr. President! :-)

November 13, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  4. brook

May god be with you every step of the way Mr.President.
    I know you will work hard for good of humanity...

November 13, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  5. ananymous

Hope he doesn't start running for some thing else as soon as he takes new office.

November 13, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  6. Maggie from Virginia

Everyone, please include the Obama's and Biden's in your prayers.

November 13, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  7. Carol

I wish you the best Mr President. We have faith in you restoring this country's economy and integrity as a nation. My God be with you, your family, and your staff.

November 13, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  8. Chris

Oh great, now maybe they will fill his seat with someone more qualified than a community organizer; say a dog catcher?

November 13, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  9. EVERYMAN

WHY DOES OBAMA'S EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION ASK ABOUT GUN OWNERSHIP? (ITEM #59) IS HE PLANNING TO BAN THEM?

November 13, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  10. Anon

Four years

Then Sarah Palin in 2012

Infanticide supporter....

Child murderer

God Help Us

Obama will sell the country to the UN and those who want to form the North American Union - it is not a conspiracy - the current economic meltdown is not caused by the subprime mortgage crisis directly - but by NAFTA.

November 13, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  11. Jeff

In the spirit of unity, I will support President-elect in his endeavors to help America recover. Too bad one president had to suffer for one to gain.... However, God is sovereign, and He has a plan.

November 13, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  12. ML

There was another article that said Obama wanted Valerie Jarret to be an advisor, not take his place in the Senate.

November 13, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  13. Hayden

I'm not quite sure why this is news. Joe Biden will resign his Senate seat as well. Too bad Illinois and/or Delaware don't have Republican Governors.

November 13, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  14. Beca

I do not care!

November 13, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  15. Bleebo

AWESOME JOB. What a HIGH ROAD.

You are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 13, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  16. Blondie

to CNN mod, YES, it has been reported that Obama WANTS Valerie Jarett to replace him, however that decision is not his to make. It is up to the Governor of Illinois to appoint someone to complete the rest of President-Elect Obama's Senate Term.

November 13, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  17. Obama Supporter All the Way

Conservative, you are what we concerned a "cry baby". This is not the way we would have acted if McSame won. Grow up!!!

November 13, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  18. IowaMom

EVERYMAN

_______________________________________________

No, he's not.

November 13, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  19. Dont Blame Me, I DIDNT vote for Barry

Im so SICK to my stomach, knowing this snake has slithered his way into the oval office. An office he doesnt deserve or even respect.

Sorry Barry, you will never be my president!

November 13, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  20. 30-m-PA-Democrat-voted McCain

For a second I became hopeful because I thought he was resigning as President-elect. Oh well.

November 13, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  21. mary, colorado springs, co

President Obama is going to be the one who will use his intelligence and knowledge to bring America to being the world leader it was before the 8 years of mismanagement of the Bush Administration.

I'm all four you, President Obama.

President Obama........doesn't that have a nice ring to it?

November 13, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  22. Robert The Man

Good Riddance! Now just resign the Presidency and everything will be fine!!!

November 13, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  23. DC

Tom who posted at 3:44pm, your an idiot.

November 13, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  24. Patty in the CA mountains

The Senate's loss is the country's gain....I love this guy and have such hope now that he's going to be in charge.....

And to the doubters....hide and watch....and his "butting in" regarding Lieberman is the "inclusionary" behavior he promised.....don't you hate it when you're wrong :)

November 13, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  25. benben

Thank you God, and the state of Illinois for providing the nation our next President. Welcome Mr. President Barack H. Obama, the world also welcomes you. Go get em sir!!!!!!!

November 13, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |