November 14th, 2008

Obama asks Clinton if she is interested in secretary of state post

, ,
Sources say Obama asked Clinton if she is interested in the secretary of state post.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Multiple Democratic sources tell CNN that President Elect Barack Obama and Senator Hillary Clinton had a “serious discussion” Thursday to gauge Clinton’s interest in the post of Secretary of State, if she were offered it. Senator Clinton’s response is unknown, although multiple sources agree that Hillary Clinton was left with the impression that if she were interested in the post, it would be hers.

“There was a serious discussion to determine whether, if offered Secretary of State, she would accept it,” said a source close to the Obama transition.

In these circumstances, that source added, a president-elect does not meet with potential cabinet secretaries unless they are serious about making an offer.

Another source close to the Obama transition team told CNN, “this (asking Clinton to be Secretary of State) has been of great interest to Obama for awhile. You’ve got to assume that Hillary Clinton did not come to visit the city of Chicago.”

Over the course of the last 24 hours, sources close to Hillary Clinton have softened their one-time solid public position that she would not be interested in a cabinet position. Those sources now say that Hillary Clinton is clearly contemplating various ways in which she can serve the Obama Administration.

On Monday, Senator Clinton responded to a reporter’s question by saying, “I am happy being a Senator from New York, I love this state and this city. I am looking at the long list of things I have to catch up on and do. But I want to be a good partner and I want to do everything I can to make sure his agenda is going to be successful."

Another source close to the Obama transition team tells CNN that among the key details to be worked out with Clinton, should she express interest in the position, are issues of how her husband, former President Bill Clinton, will be able to continue his work with the Clinton Global Initiative without complicating Hillary Clinton’s work as Secretary of State.

1. Denise

I think that it would be great for the country and that she would do an awesome job.

November 14, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  2. Richie

I'm just sick about all this leaking. I thought based on Obama's performance during the election that we were done with constant "reports" from "un-named sources". It turns my stomach.

November 14, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  3. Don

Great choice. I have always thought Hillary would be a fine President, but I also believe that she will be an excellant choice as Secretary of State. She is by far more than worthy and this shows Obama is smart. I was not an avid supporter of President-elect Obama, but this choice, if she accepts, buts me firmly in his corner. Hillary Clinton will shine and her presence on the world dtage will be a welcome change.

November 14, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  4. Kevin,FL

Very excited with this news. If she takes it which she most likely will take it.. The New Administration will make a powerful team

November 14, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  5. laura

I said it from the moment Obama beat Clinton .... he at least could make her SOS .... ;o)

I really hope she does accept.

November 14, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  6. RJ, Phoenix

I think Bill Richardson would be a best choice.
    He has the international experience and the proper temperament for the post.
    More so the Clinton or Kerry.

November 14, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  7. joshua

crap

November 14, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  8. Shrinath

Why her??

November 14, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  9. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia in CA

Hillary would be a great SOS. Please offer her the Cabinet position. She is qualified and deserves it!!

November 14, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  10. gene

OK, let me get this straight, Anyone would consider HRC for Secretary of State, wasn't she the one who mistakenly said she was qualified in the area of international relations because she was shot at in the Balkans. Come on now, that falls into the living near Russia category of Palin.

November 14, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  11. Susan

If she is suitable, then lets her have the job. However, I am still angry for the way she ran the stupid campaign, maligning Obama.

by the way, how abt Palin as Sec. of State? Russia would be scared!!

November 14, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  12. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

Good! I hope she will accept. Exciting!

November 14, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  13. Zee

Give Hillary whatever she wants. Whatever- she -wants. You hear?

November 14, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  14. Gloria

Shows that our president-elect is one smart man!!!

November 14, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  15. Karen

I think any "leaks" are being leaked on purpose.

November 14, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  16. Pedro Remedios

I believe Hillary Clinton will be of great help to Obama's agenda either as Secretary of State or as Senator of New York whatever her decision!

November 14, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  17. Joe

I think Hillary is absolutely perfect for this position. I hope she is offered the job and that she accepts. What an exciting cabinet this could shape out to be!

November 14, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  18. James

I think this would be a perfect fit for her.... We are going to need to Dem presidents to fix this mess that Bush has us in. I hope she takes it

November 14, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  19. Practical Gal

I'd rather see her as a supreme court justice.

November 14, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  20. Kat

I'm not sure this is such a good idea. While I understand why Obama would want to surround himself with experienced key players in Washington D.C., why do we want another Clinton Administration? Haven't we had enough of the Bush's and the Clinton's? Is this the sort of "change" we were supposed to be excited about? I would have preferred Kerry over Clinton for SoS any day of the week.

November 14, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  21. D. Jones

(Clinton is clearly contemplating various ways in which she can serve the Obama Administration.)

WOW,

sounds like she could pick any position any position she wants...

November 14, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  22. Dan, FL

Who cares. They will go ahead with hand-outs to everybody. Tax payers will suffer.

November 14, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  23. Obama 08

Oh snap! Obama's building a coalition similar to Reagan's!

November 14, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  24. Just Do It

Do it Hillary! We need you!

November 14, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  25. Cody

I think a lot of people have been half expecting this for a long time. Finally, things are looking up in this country again.

November 14, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |