November 14th, 2008

Obama asks Clinton if she is interested in secretary of state post

, ,
Sources say Obama asked Clinton if she is interested in the secretary of state post.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Multiple Democratic sources tell CNN that President Elect Barack Obama and Senator Hillary Clinton had a “serious discussion” Thursday to gauge Clinton’s interest in the post of Secretary of State, if she were offered it. Senator Clinton’s response is unknown, although multiple sources agree that Hillary Clinton was left with the impression that if she were interested in the post, it would be hers.

“There was a serious discussion to determine whether, if offered Secretary of State, she would accept it,” said a source close to the Obama transition.

In these circumstances, that source added, a president-elect does not meet with potential cabinet secretaries unless they are serious about making an offer.

Another source close to the Obama transition team told CNN, “this (asking Clinton to be Secretary of State) has been of great interest to Obama for awhile. You’ve got to assume that Hillary Clinton did not come to visit the city of Chicago.”

Over the course of the last 24 hours, sources close to Hillary Clinton have softened their one-time solid public position that she would not be interested in a cabinet position. Those sources now say that Hillary Clinton is clearly contemplating various ways in which she can serve the Obama Administration.

On Monday, Senator Clinton responded to a reporter’s question by saying, “I am happy being a Senator from New York, I love this state and this city. I am looking at the long list of things I have to catch up on and do. But I want to be a good partner and I want to do everything I can to make sure his agenda is going to be successful."

Another source close to the Obama transition team tells CNN that among the key details to be worked out with Clinton, should she express interest in the position, are issues of how her husband, former President Bill Clinton, will be able to continue his work with the Clinton Global Initiative without complicating Hillary Clinton’s work as Secretary of State.

1. AWB

It would be difficult for a sitting Secretary of State to muster a run for President in 2012. If you are in the President's cabinet and the administration is successful, the SoS would have no reason to challenge the sitting President (unless of course, Pres. Obama decides not to run in 2012)

November 14, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  2. D. Jones

(Exactly what qualifies Hillary Clinton to be chosen as Secretary of State ahead)

Stopped reading after that...

November 14, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  3. Becky Smith

I believe it is a great choice. She is well respected around the world.

November 14, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  4. Republican for Obama

She really does deserve this position...and she would do a great job. Good choice, Obama!

November 14, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  5. CHRIS

I voted OBAMA for Change. That's why I didn't vote for Hillary.

But wait a minute ... It looks like the Clinton 3 term is coming.
    Boy! I guess all of a sudden, Obama is not sure of what the job
    is all about.

I regret I voted him instead of HILLARY. Regret.

November 14, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  6. txkboy

Hillary is SO power hungry (not to mention the 2012), she would accept the post, just to be in-line to the Presidency. Maybe I shouldn't have unpacked my bags so soon.

November 14, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  7. M.J.

Okay seriously...Hillary is not Bill! She is a very intelligent woman and should not be thought of as being that same as her husband! I am happy that Obama asked her and I hope that she accepts!

November 14, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  8. just a thought

we can call them the A-plus team.

November 14, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  9. Steve

I like the fact that he is considering Clinton for Secretary of State. To be successful at that position, you need to have a firm grasp on foreign policy procedures and fortitude to stick to your principles when things get rough (and they will). My only problem is that I think Hillary is the wrong Clinton for the job. Nonetheless I think she would do an extraordinary job and I hope to see this come to fruition.

November 14, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  10. Rick from Midwest

Offer her the next open spot on the Supreme Court.

November 14, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  11. mike

From bad to much worse...I can't wait!

I'm sure the Arabs will have "respect" for her just like they always do with the female gender.
    Hillary will be a perfect Secretary of Defense: she behaved bravely under the sniper fire.
    what a joke

November 14, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  12. Sue

I am getting worried about the various anti-Obama agents out there. Rush Limbaugh is perpetuating the myth that Obama will take away guns. I just heard a report on NPR in Michigan that gun sales are way up, thus ensuring that we will have more gun-related deaths here. And yes, NRA, guns DO kill people, usually innocent ones.
    I wish people could use their brains and see that this man truly wants to get America back on track, and the Klan and the gun-toting idiots will not deter him. He will not take away your rights-that was the agenda of your dear leader Bush...but you were all too brainwashed by war to see that. He is allowing even more spying on us...where is your outrage about that? No warrants, no illegal activity, just because they can.

November 14, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  13. gail

This would bethe second mistake made, the first was Obama.

November 14, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  14. John

Hope she remembers to kiss his ring.

November 14, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  15. Bryan

I hope he does pick her. At the very least, I hope she works in some capacity in an Obama administration. With exception to the disgusting part of the primaries, I found her a very qualified and good candidate. And if not for Obama, she would have been my choice, I think. She would be a great servant to the country in an Obama administration.

November 14, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  16. Snake eyes

that is where i thought clinton should go– in a very high profile position out of the line of succession. Burnish her creds (as if she really needed to, but this would settle the argument before it began, Palin would not be able to touch her in 4-8 yrs), then run for pres if she still wants to. either way, her place in history is secure.

November 14, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  17. Gerry Hall

Hullary Clinton would be a remarkable choice. She is well respected around the World and the World is so excited about the possibilities that a Barack Obama Presidency will bring. CANADA is very supportive of the change that Obama will bring. Hillary is a bonus

November 14, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  18. Obama for Leader

Repubs must be squirming in their fat seats by now.

This country will be great and shine once again as it seems like it's turning out to be a dream team administration .Thank you Obama, I was sick and tired of being embarrased by my current president and his goof balls !!!!

November 14, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  19. Phil-Little Rock

How many ways can we get rid of the Clintons? I'm a die hard Obama supporter, but dear Mr. President-Elect, this is NOT the way to go, dude..........leave the Clintons mired in their own debts, debts they ran up BASHING OBAMA!!! We don't need more Clintonistas mucking up the works for an Obama Administration!!

November 14, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  20. Sylvester

She deserves it. Remember her speech at the convention, how hard she (and Bill ) worked for Obama to help him beat McCain.
    John Kerry should have the Defense.

November 14, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  21. JABBER

BOUGHT AND PAID IN FULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TE PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN WAS GIVEN TO OBAMA , IN CHANGE FOR A PEICE OF THE ACTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 14, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  22. John

It's an offer she can't refuse.

November 14, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  23. S O S

Hillary is S O S for Obama because he has nothing to sell.

Change? What change? I don't like Hillary, the recycle of old Washington.

Very dissappointed indeed.

November 14, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  24. Arlene Perez

Fani-"Richardson doesn't seem too qualified."

Are you serious? He had the MOST experience of any of the Democratic candidates running for POTUS. He was a cabinet member under Clinton (holding multiple positions) AND the governor of New Mexico.

November 14, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  25. Fishsnot

CHANGE ? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE ? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE ? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE ? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE ? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE ? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE ? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE ? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE ? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE ? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE ? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE ? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE? CHANGE?

This is not CHANGE, this is just more CLINTON !!!!!!!

November 14, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |