November 14th, 2008

Obama, Clinton meet in Chicago

Sen. Hillary Clinton met with President-elect Barack Obama Thursday in Chicago sources tell CNN.

CHICAGO (CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama met with New York Sen. Hillary Clinton late Thursday afternoon in Chicago, two sources confirm to CNN.

The meeting was held at the request of Obama.

One of the sources says Clinton went to the meeting because "she knew Obama wanted to talk about whether she would have a role in the administration."

UPDATE:
An Obama transition source says the meeting came about through Sen Lindsey Graham, a McCain supporter, and Rahm Emanuel, Obama's new chief of staff. Both men have had a "longstanding relationship," according to the source and worked out the meeting.

1. NOVA

As Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton would be a good choice to help move forward in foreign relations.

I also think she would be great for the Health Department, too. Although I voted for Barack Obama, one of the issues I didn't agree on was healthcare. I think Hillary Clinton's plan a bit better.

Let's see what happens!

November 14, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  2. Michele

And the the Clinton haters begin in 5.....4....3......2.........1

November 14, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  3. DP

I hope HRC works with BO with honesty and understanding, putting aside resentments from the primaries.

November 14, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  4. Alex

Ok, is it me, but I am a getting concerned that this "change" we have been promised, is not "original" and "new" thinking with "new blood." But in reality a throwback to the Clinton Era, with a lot of Clinton's insiders?

Didn't Bush Jr. do the same thing? Didn't he bring a lot of his father's cronies back? And we all saw where that got us. I am not hating on Obama, but I am getting concerned that he isn't really driving change right now...just bringing back the Clinton's and their people. Not all are bad, but man, CHANGE was the mantra.

Now, I am sure he'll appoint some original people, I am hoping Warren Buffet, but all I have heard is "ex-Clinton" and "Clinton" this and that. How do we let Obama know we want REAL change, not just a change of administration, and throwback to the Clintons???!?!?!? ANYONE?

November 14, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  5. Mile Hy

I heard she was being considered for Sec of State. That would be a mistake. She has a lot of seniority in the Senate and who knows who would replace her. If Obama wants to make a statement he should offer Sec of State to Colin Powell.

November 14, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  6. Maggie in NYS

Hillary Clinton for Secretary of State!!!

November 14, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  7. Richie

What's with all the leaking from the "Obama transition team"? Is this really his people, who never breathed a word about anything during the election process? Or is it the people of the other politicians that are now involved?

November 14, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  8. Daniel from Chicago

such IRONY! If I were her, I'd stay far away from all of this hype!! Especially after how badly she was treated by EVERYONE(media, Obamabots, democrats aka "the Big Boys Club" because she was running against Obama.

November 14, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  9. Kevin

THAT is why I did not vote for Barak Obama. It didn't take a genius to figure that Hillary would be along for the ride. Yup, here she is again, worming her way in. Positioning herself for 2012 already.

November 14, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  10. ironmadonna

Does anyone recall how Mrs. Clinton turned a blind eye and a deaf ear to her husband's policies, personal decisions and behaviors for so many years?..How she got into the US Senate?..Does anyone remember anything about the Clinton regime in Arkansas???Whitewater??..I was never a "Hillary" fan and guess what? I'm a woman!..Blind ambition is blind regardless of the reproductive system with which one is born..Senator Clinton should feel humbly endowed by the invitation to meet with President Elect Obama for a cabinet position..I have to go through that internet application process and I haven't committed any acts of political corruption..I have behaved badly though...Perhaps I could become president, too????

November 14, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  11. Don

So, does this mean no more Senator Clinton? Wonder when her campaign debt will get payed for this little move?

November 14, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  12. Jackie

I think she would make a wonderful Sec. of State. He needs her in his administration if he wants to win the next election. She is well known and liked around the world and we could see some real changes. Let's forget their differences on the campaign trail....that was politics. Now is the time to unite and move the country forward.

November 14, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  13. charles carter

Leave her in the senate. Colin Powell would be better.

November 14, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  14. r sisk, nevada

I would LOVE to see Hillary as Secretary of State!!!!! I know Obama and this nation need her in the Senate but NY is a liberal state and should replace her with another Dem. Go Hillary.

November 14, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  15. GINA, OHIO

GIT ER DONE HILLARY!!!!!!!! I THINK OBAMA SHOULD PICK HILLARY!! IT WOULD BE AN EXCELLANT CHOICE!!!! SHE'S SURELY QUALIFIED AND A WOMAN FOR THIS IS OUTSTANDING!!

November 14, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  16. BK

It would be a good idea to include her, I think. Remember VP isn't the only position a President picks, and arguably not even the most important.

November 14, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  17. young and informed independant

I KNEW IT!!!!!!

i am so happy......

November 14, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  18. joe

keep your friends close but your enemies closer. this was clearly brokered when she suspended her campaign

November 14, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  19. Ed Stack

Obama-Clinton...........the "A" Team........am going to throw up!

November 14, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  20. Kim, PA

awesome for her to be secretary of state!!!!!!!

November 14, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  21. Nick

I hope it's to extend an olive branch. While I don't think she would have been all that great of a president (but obviously a whole lot better than McCain), I think she would a great job in the administration.

November 14, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  22. REVOLUTION

Just another ploy by the media to force Hillary on Barack, and down our throats. Please stop, and get a life. Nobody likes Hillary, and she has to try to do whatever the party needs to salvage her political career.

November 14, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  23. Saad from NJ

I love this man – and if he gets Hillary to be the Secretary of our State – I will love him even more.

November 14, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  24. Patriot from ATL GA

Good going! We are happy to see progress being made. We are FIRED UP AND READY TO GO!

November 14, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  25. Brian NYC

She's stayin' right here in NY.

November 14, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |