November 14th, 2008

Obama, Clinton meet in Chicago

Sen. Hillary Clinton met with President-elect Barack Obama Thursday in Chicago sources tell CNN.

CHICAGO (CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama met with New York Sen. Hillary Clinton late Thursday afternoon in Chicago, two sources confirm to CNN.

The meeting was held at the request of Obama.

One of the sources says Clinton went to the meeting because "she knew Obama wanted to talk about whether she would have a role in the administration."

UPDATE:
An Obama transition source says the meeting came about through Sen Lindsey Graham, a McCain supporter, and Rahm Emanuel, Obama's new chief of staff. Both men have had a "longstanding relationship," according to the source and worked out the meeting.

1. Matthew Gomez

Very interesting possibly. Although Clinton was not one of the top three people I thought of when I thought of the new Secretary of State (Richardson, Kerry, and Hagel being the more obvious choices), she certainly would be a good choice given her years of experience and her positive relationship with various nations (especially Europe). I think a post of this choice would also help those who wished Clinton had been the president-elect or vice-president elect in the Obama ticket.

November 14, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  2. Todd Golden

This is such a disappointing article. Misleading, short, and typical half-truth journalism. Your headline suggests that when we read the article we will learn something about whether Senator Clinton may or may not be a candidate for the next Sec. of State. However, upon reading your 8 line article one soon finds out that all you know is that a meeting took place. Quit providing misleading headlines just to pull in more readers. Give us something worth reading and worth out time.

November 14, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  3. RealityKing

Hillary to replace Dr. Condoleezza Rice?? That would be a giant step backwards..

November 14, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  4. its Over

that's ok, after all she got experience dodging sniper fire. hahaha!!

November 14, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  5. Elizabeth, Austin

I think Hillary would make a fabulous addition to the Obama cabinet, but I think the President Elect must be wise in his choice of position. I agree with many of the comments posted previously on CNN. Senator Clinton is probably not the best choice for Secretary of State, but is instead very well suited for a leadership role in Health Care reform. Govenor Bill Richardson or Senator Chuck Hagel would be outstanding choices for SOS, as both would offer unique qualifications to the position, and would represent the Change President Obama has been calling for.

November 14, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  6. Ed Barczak

Excellent Choice. I urge Sen Clinton to say Thank you but I am more
    valuabe in the Senate. Best choice – Gov Richardson.l

November 14, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  7. Helen Friend

President-elect Obama would be better served if Mrs. Clinton became Speaker of the House. Mrs. Clinton is highly intelligent and is gracious in manner.

Mrs. Pelosi must be replaced because she is dense in brain matter and abrasive in her actions.

Thank you. Mrs. Friend

November 14, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  8. bplaten

Secretary of State would be great. It would hopefully keep her out of the country most of the time.

November 14, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  9. Rockford

Oh I hope so... PLEASE Barry give her a job...
    I would love to see her give up her NY Senate seat for a one and done presidential appointment...

November 14, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  10. Steve

Bill Richardson should be Secretary of State!! Hillary should be another type of top adviser!!

November 14, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  11. vobichlan, montreal

It is not a matter of personal liking. It is in the best interest of the US that Senator Clinton has a large role in President-elect Obama's administration. The Democratic party would be united with Clinton in a major portfolio such as State, she will be most impressive at it. In world affairs it isn't just diplomacy, it is the personal prestige and stature that move and shake.

November 14, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  12. sue

I would hate to see Hillary leave the Senate.I feel she is a champion to the working people of America. If she leaves ,fewer people will hear our voices.

November 14, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  13. KJL

I wouldn't have voted for Clinton for president, even though I supported Obama, but I think she would make a great Secretary of State. She knows the players and she is smart and well-informed, but she is also tough.

November 14, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  14. RO

Excellent choice for Sec of State! She knows many of the world leaders..

November 14, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  15. Deanna Silva

YES<YES<YES. I would love to see hillary in that job. She has the smart's and everyone around the world love's her. This lady will be great. So Hillary you go for it. Let's get this country back on its feet. Thanks, Ms. Silva

November 14, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  16. Matt

This is a very bad move....she should be anything except secretary of state. If this happens, this will be the first mistake by the Obama administration.

November 14, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  17. sanya dennis

secretary of state confirmed????????
    may be not!!!!!

america there you go, the best you can have

but obama be ware

another 24 in the making

November 14, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  18. Roger

The more I think about it, the more I hope the President-Elect chooses Sen. Clinton for Secretary of State. We all know he derives great strength from the writings and example of Lincoln, and picking Sen. Clinton for this incredibly important position would make perfect sense. She is extremely knowledgeable, has excellent relations with many world leaders and I feel would bring tremendous credit and experience to our State Department.

November 14, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  19. David Snyder

I believe that Obama would show an incredible amount of wisdom by selecting Hilary as his Secretary of State. If this happens, then my faith in the President-Elect will rise astronomically.

November 14, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  20. Tyran

I think Bill Richardson is a better choice, however, Hillary Clinton will be acceptable and would serve this country well as Seceratry of State. I understand that Obama has to surround himself with people that have the experience to get the job done. There is not time for on-the-job-training in these key positions. REMEMBER WHAT WE VOTED FOR!!! We want a change in the Bush policies and if Obama can deliver that then we have to support him. It doesn't matter how change looks, it's whether or not it can be achieved. Let all give the new President a chance to put his full cabinet together and see what direction he takes. If we can give Bush the benefit of the doubt after 911, then we can do the same for Obama after Bush!

November 14, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  21. Shalanda--Northern VA

If he choose Sen. Hillary Clinton for Sec of State, WOW that would be GREAT!! GO OBAMA!! Pres. Obama's administration will be the best team ever!!

I can't wait til 20Jan09!!

President Barack Obama, that's sound wonderful.

November 14, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  22. mike

wow that would b\e so cool if she was in the administration!!!

November 14, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  23. Anonymous

well deserving and fitting for Hillary!! Good Move Mr.Obama!

November 14, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  24. cattlecar

There should be a place for Hillary in the Obama organization. Have her design the new flag. I bet she already has a portfolio of drawings going back to her college days.

November 14, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  25. Matt

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!! I voted for Obama to keep the Clintons out of government. Let us all pray her role will be something minor. She can stay a senator.

November 14, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |