November 14th, 2008

Obama, Clinton meet in Chicago

Sen. Hillary Clinton met with President-elect Barack Obama Thursday in Chicago sources tell CNN.

CHICAGO (CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama met with New York Sen. Hillary Clinton late Thursday afternoon in Chicago, two sources confirm to CNN.

The meeting was held at the request of Obama.

One of the sources says Clinton went to the meeting because "she knew Obama wanted to talk about whether she would have a role in the administration."

UPDATE:
An Obama transition source says the meeting came about through Sen Lindsey Graham, a McCain supporter, and Rahm Emanuel, Obama's new chief of staff. Both men have had a "longstanding relationship," according to the source and worked out the meeting.

1. Mike

The paybacks continue for Obama

November 14, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  2. tes

Good move from President-elect Obama, & Senator H. Clinton is a good choice.

November 14, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  3. Cammi317

I can live with this. Secretary of State for Hillary, I can live with this.

November 14, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  4. Simmy

Sen Clinton is forgiven! She has a lot of insightful expertise that she can contribute to President Obama's administration and the world. If she becomes SOS, she'll do a wonderful job. Blessings to her!

November 14, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  5. cool onlooker

Sounds impossible. But you never know. No matter what the result, this is again a smart man's great move.

If H.C. takes it, I would respect her so much.

Obama'08'12

November 14, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  6. CB

I also think that this is pretty cool...

November 14, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  7. Frostlanta

I am glad to see barack extend a hand to Hilary, she will be great for his administration.

November 14, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  8. Give a break

I truly disliked how the Clintons campaigned during the primaries but Obama is now President -Elect (Which I'm still celebrating) but its time to put all the hard feelings a side. No more Anti-Clinton comments and Nobama comments. Things are gravely serious now and if President-Elect Obama thinks she'll be good I trust his judgement Hey when a new football coach comes in they don't fire everyone on the former staff they bring in some new folks and keep the people that have experience and are willing to change.

November 14, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  9. Michelle, PA

I don't know how to feel about Hillary in a prominent role in the Obama Administration. On one hand, she would be well qualified to head State, or perhaps HHS where she could have a larger role in health care than she is likely to realistically expect in the Senate. I also believe Obama is the kind of person who wants people around him to offer him different options, not just yes-men (and women). On the other hand, I have the same reservation I had about Hillary during the Democratic primaries – Bill. There can only be one President at a time. Could Bill keep his fingers out of Obama's business? It may be unfair, but for Hillary the biggest drawback is her husband.

November 14, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  10. Millie Bea

Hillary is a rotten choice for Secretary of State. She has no international negotiating experience. All of her "35 years" of experience were NOT in international negotiations or military planning. She has proven to be a poor administrator on a large scale based on the huge organizational and directional failures of her campaign- which would be milquetoast in comparison to the job of Sec'y of State. Obama promised to fill jobs with the best qualified applicants- he should do just that. He owes Hillary nothing.

November 14, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  11. Dan

Hillary or Bill would make a great secretary of state.

November 14, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  12. NY

Good, get her out of the state of NY...carpetbagger. That being said, I am sure she will be better off as Sec of State cause of her potential dealings for 8 yrs as First Lady.

November 14, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  13. Clinton Basher

Hillary as Secretary of State is not change I can believe in.

November 14, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  14. Michael watching from Canada

Hillary is tough and will be respected in the international community. She has also demonstrated (her campaigning for Obama during the election) that she will follow his leadership.

And if she doesn't get SoS, then she should also be considered for Department of Health.

November 14, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  15. arc, Lugano CH

I didn't vote for Hillary Clinton in the Primary. However, I think that she would be a fine Secretary of State; or perhaps Richard Holbrooke. Not too sold on Kerry for that specific Cabinet position.

November 14, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  16. OBAMA 08

Could be the best decision he makes!

November 14, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  17. Brian NY

It doesn't matter any more who goes into what position, blah blah blah. We'll struggle through the next four years somehow and then get somebody good in the White House.

November 14, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  18. Democratic unity

I hope Hillary does get offered a position in the Obama administration. She is intelligent, articulate and tough and deserves the recognition. It will make many Hillary voters very happy to see we are truly a party of unity and not division (unlike the Republicans).

November 14, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  19. arlene

hillary would be an excellent choice as secretary of state..

November 14, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  20. peter

This shows that President Obama is bringing everyone to the table. Republicans, Blacks, White, Clintons, you name it. Way to go Obama

November 14, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  21. Kia

YES!!! This is going to be the best administration that the world has ever seen. He is surrounding himself with positive, far-thinking people who really want to do better. Way to go Obama, Biden,Clinton!!

November 14, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  22. Mike

I thought Hillary's legacy would be in health care reform and building the new US health care policy. Well, her legacy could be even greater as Secretary of State! She already has good foreign policy direction and her appointment would look good for all America.
    It would be another truly positive step for the still not sworn in Obama.

November 14, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  23. Obama all the way

Now, I didn't want her for Prez, but I'd certainly take her for Sec of State over Kerry.

I trust Obama will make the right choice.

November 14, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  24. Marco in Phoenix

This is no suprise. I was saying Obama would possibly (probably?) pick her for this position.

November 14, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  25. Kareem from Hampton, Va

I KNEW IT!!!! I TOLD YOU ALL!!!!! I cant WAIT to see what the new administration will look like!

November 14, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |