November 14th, 2008

Obama, Clinton meet in Chicago

Sen. Hillary Clinton met with President-elect Barack Obama Thursday in Chicago sources tell CNN.

CHICAGO (CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama met with New York Sen. Hillary Clinton late Thursday afternoon in Chicago, two sources confirm to CNN.

The meeting was held at the request of Obama.

One of the sources says Clinton went to the meeting because "she knew Obama wanted to talk about whether she would have a role in the administration."

UPDATE:
An Obama transition source says the meeting came about through Sen Lindsey Graham, a McCain supporter, and Rahm Emanuel, Obama's new chief of staff. Both men have had a "longstanding relationship," according to the source and worked out the meeting.

1. Deborah Ballweg

Hillary is a great choice. She can't tell if she is being fired upon but is perfectly willing to lie about it on national tv. SHE'S PERFECT. GOOD JOB

November 14, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  2. Ver concern

Great! Or I would love to see her in the Federal Supreme Court...a very venerable job.

November 14, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  3. Pamela Rainsong

There appear to be a lot of Bush supporters on CNN blogs making rude comments... I don't really trust their judgement. Do you?

November 14, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  4. BKMC

Hilary has a strong background in international affairs and issues facing the world today. She is a strong diplomate and a very bright negotiator. She has the moral responsibility to serve America now and not tomorrow. She will be a key player and a real team player in an Obama Administration because she is capable as Obama to put America first. Great choices so far, may God guide Obama/Biden in their willingness to serve America.

November 14, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  5. Joseph Ngoru

This is encouraging.Obama is all inclusive.
    Obam and clinton must remain friends inspite of the nomination battles they fought.
    Clinton helped and campaigned for obama.
    She is worthy materila for several top positions.
    no bad blood.
    go on Obama nad bring her on board.

November 14, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  6. Ruby

Secy of State or Supreme Court judge. She is a great role model for women.

November 14, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  7. Sue in MI

All the dubious people out there need to take a breath. You complain that Obama doesn't have enough experience, yet complain more when he goes to older, more experienced people. I suppose you think McCain should be Sec. of Defense and the barely literate Palin Sec. of State. THAT would work well. I think what this really is is a desire on many people's parts that he fail, and when he surrounds himself with intelligent people, deep down, you think that maybe, just maybe, this guy does know what he's doing. The Bush and Republican attempts to ruin this country will not be undone in a day, a week, or even in four years, but at least Obama appears to have a plan, and yes, it just might work! So hang on, and try to be positive for once.

November 14, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  8. jeff

If I was her I would stay in the senate.
    Obama will not live up to high expectations and he will loose many of his following over the next 4 years she can run again once he fails

November 14, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  9. Chip

Please don't let Hilary into the administration. Wasn't that election enough to show you what she wants - power - any power - all power... now! Plus I just don't want to look at her, Bill or Chelsea ever again.

November 14, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  10. Susan

We know Hillary will work hard for the US, whatever position President Obama would like for her to do.

Obama is putting a good team of workers together.

November 14, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  11. Sally

And so he should give her a top administration job – she should have been VP. This lady is gracious, knowledgeable and can only benefit the new administration. She SHOULD have won, but that's history now – she will be President in 2012.

November 14, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  12. Adam

Good fit

November 14, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  13. Lisa251

No to Condoleezza Rice! We need Hilary!

November 14, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  14. Rita

BILL RICHARDSON FOR SECRETARY OF STATE! He's got experience, he hasn't been in Washington for a while and has never served in congress, he provides diversity to the administration, and he's got Obama's BACK. He chose Obama because he thought it would be good for the country, he really risked a lot of political relationships when he didn't back Hillary. I don't really care for John Kerry and I don't think Hillary has enough foreign policy experience.

November 14, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  15. Joanne Ciccone

I love the idea! She certainly deserves it. But I hope she won't, once again, be in the shadow of her wonderful past president husband Bill Clinton.

November 14, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  16. laxraddad

I'd take Clinton over Kerry anyday! I hate to admit it but I think this would be a good fit for Hillary as Secretary of State.

November 14, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  17. Hopeful for Tomorrow

Fred, you may also recall that the President-Elect and the Senator do not agree on everything. As much as Obama should surround himself with the opposing party he should also have members of his own party who have similar yet different approaches to the same end.

November 14, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  18. That Other Jerry

I'm a McCain voter who thinks Hillary would be an excellent Secretary of State. Look beyond the campaign and the fact that she is Bill Clinton's wife, and you see a good record of support and funding for our troops, even when it put her at odds with others in her party. That alone earned her my respect, even when I don't agree with her. I for one would be a lot less anxious about Obama's foreign policy knowing she was at the State Dept.

November 14, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  19. Krsiten

Apparently President-elect Obama is going to follow the Bush-Clinton policy of ignoring parts of the world that they can't find on a map. Like most of Africa, the Balkans, SE Asia, etc. A good portion of the world will welcome Hilary as SOS. Because her husband was popular with left leaning governments all over the world. THe people he ignored while they were slughtered won't be so appreciative of his wife being the face of America abroad. I think that Senator Clinton is an able legislator (better than Obama was, I am in Illinois, after all) but she carries too much baggage (her husband!) to be effective in a major role in the new administration. Just like her baggage made her an unwise choice as veep (would have motivated the Republican base to get out the vote though), her baggage makes her an unwise choice for Secretary of State.

On a similar note, former Secretary of Stae Colin Powell would be a poor choice due to his unfortunate speech at the UN. He has learned the lesson of being a conservative. He did the right thing, then became the scapegoat and retired to be forgotten. I don't think anyone on the world stage will forget or forgive.

November 14, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  20. tittat

We need a new, young face for the Secretary of State. By young I mean under the ago of 50. The Baby Boomers and the Clintons have had their time. If there is really to be change, then do it Obama. Already I'm regretting giving you my vote !!

November 14, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  21. Obama Woman from the Start

NO! Clinton, the perpetual self-serving liar, CLAIMED she wanted to stay in the Senate.
    NO! Corzine is a horrible governor...keep him out of your administration.

JUST
    SAY
    to Corzine and Clintons!

KERRY for Secretary of State.

November 14, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  22. Ann Mack

In my opinion, the Secretary of State should be someone who hates war and would only use war as a last resort, and who can firmly see Peace in their mind's eye; someone who recognizes that all men are brothers/sisters and that we all come from the same Source or Creator, to truly make some headway at bringing people together in reconciliation. That said, Hillary Clinton has earned her right to some cabinet post within an Obama administration. I am just not sure if being Secretary of State is the right one for her.

There is a saying from Christ - "you are either with me or against me." I think Lieberman has proved that he is "against" Democrats and is a closet Republican. He should go to the group that he really "vibes" with. You do not keep your enemies close where they have a greater ability to stab you in the back. That is my opinion.

November 14, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  23. MILOPAT

Excellent. Now I want to see Bill Richardson meeting with Obama to get his position.

November 14, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  24. Gorg the Merciless, Montgomery Co, MD

this is like having Hannibal Lecter as surgeon general or HHS.

November 14, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  25. Sylvia

CNN, you keep running this story about how President-elect Obama would name Sen. Clinton as SOS. In addition, you keep showing stories asking whether Obama will succeed as a president and you are so fixated by Palin. Please CNN, start reporting some real news. What is going on in the country? What is going on in the world? Your network is so boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 14, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |