November 14th, 2008

Obama discusses Secretary of State job with Richardson

(CNN) - CNN has learned that President-elect Barack Obama spoke with New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson Friday to discuss the post of Secretary of State. A senior Democratic source tells CNN that Richardson’s name has always been on Obama’s list for that post. Obama has also gauged Sen. Hillary Clinton’s interest in the post if she were offered it. If Clinton does not express interest in the post, then Richardson and others would be candidates for the job.

Another source close to the Obama transition team tells CNN that among the key details to be worked out with Sen. Clinton, should she express interest in the position, are issues of how her husband, former President Bill Clinton would be able to continue his work with the Clinton Global Initiative without complicating her work as Secretary of State.

1. Dylan, Los Angeles

Richardson is a solid choice. Please don't forget about Mike Gravel for some other position.

November 15, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  2. G

Looks like Clinton will get the job unless she says no and in that case Richarson could be the choice. I think either choice is fine with me they are both good candidates for the job. It is now up to Clinton and whether or not she will say no I don't think the Obama administration will be offering the job if they did not want her to take it. So good for him working with everyone even if they don't agree with him all the time.

November 15, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  3. ElderLS

Ohhh one more thing...it's time to move on from the name calling. Grow up, only children should act like children!!!

November 15, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  4. Helen, VT

I was going through the blogs here. Peter(CA) seems to be spilling venom here. He is living in the liberal California. Nanci Pelosi's state. He is asking us why we are criticising Barack Obama. He should know that this country is at centre-right and we expect our leaders including barack to govern from there. We do not need far-left loonies to govern us. We have them here in VT too.

November 15, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  5. Dan, FL

GA for Obama. I am entitled to my opinion. I do not need you to lecture me. Government is going to support you but not me. I am working hard to make my living. Barack is socialist. Get a life.

November 15, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  6. Eyes wide open

Look up Richardson's background. He would be an excellent SoS.

Sadly, Hillary couldn't even negotiate peace within her own campaign staff She is too divisive and bullheaded to lead the Dept. of State. Put her drive and focus to work elsewhere.

November 15, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  7. Desiree

Ok. All of you people who are painting Bill Richardson as a horrible person are, well, to put it bluntly, stupid. He actually has experience in this job, and he doesn't just "deserve" it like many of you Hillary fanatics seem to think. Not that she's not capable, though. If you haven't seen Obama and Richardson together, they really do have great chemistry. The chemistry between Obama and Hillary doesn't even compare. So many of you are also bitter that Obama picked Biden over Hillary. Do you really think she wants to be No. 2 and not No. 1? They don't get along, and Hillary is too prideful (not in a bad way), and them working together closely may never happen. Sorry. End of discussion.

November 15, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  8. J

Both Clinton and Richardson are excellent choices and would do a superb job. I lean toward Hillary for the position, but that's mainly my bias as an ardent supporter of hers.

November 15, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  9. kim

Great, don't want Hillary on the train wreck that looms for the O administration, she needs to stay far away, let the idiots that backed him go down with him.

November 15, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  10. JNC, California

To Hal, I like that idea of Condi staying as S.o.S That would definately good for the country although I don't think she would want it...She looks tired! As for Richardson, he would be great in another position like S.o.I give Clinton something pertaining to HHS. I think Clinton would still try and be sneaky, but between those two (Richardson). Barack will make a good decision regardless!!!

November 15, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |