November 14th, 2008

Obama discusses Secretary of State job with Richardson

(CNN) - CNN has learned that President-elect Barack Obama spoke with New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson Friday to discuss the post of Secretary of State. A senior Democratic source tells CNN that Richardson’s name has always been on Obama’s list for that post. Obama has also gauged Sen. Hillary Clinton’s interest in the post if she were offered it. If Clinton does not express interest in the post, then Richardson and others would be candidates for the job.

Another source close to the Obama transition team tells CNN that among the key details to be worked out with Sen. Clinton, should she express interest in the position, are issues of how her husband, former President Bill Clinton would be able to continue his work with the Clinton Global Initiative without complicating her work as Secretary of State.

1. Change, indeed

To Laurel: ...and what is wrong with all these former "Clinton-ites"? The Clinton years were the good old days...obviously these folks know what it takes to bring prosperity to the country- something we've been lacking since.........oh, the last Clinton administration?

November 14, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  2. Tennisguypitt

I like this... But it's not too hard to please me.

November 14, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  3. teesha

Sorry but no Clintons, too much problems around....

November 14, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  4. Raine

Obama I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE HAVING "THE CLINTONS" IN YOUR PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We voted for YOU, if we wanted "THE CLINTONS" we would have voted for them!!!!!!!!!!! OH I am sooooo disappointed!!!!!

November 14, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  5. arlene, CA

I would rather have Richardson than Clinton. I feel like the Clintons time is over.

November 14, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  6. JB

Richardson could very possibly be the best Sec. of State in the last 100 years. He would be a great choice.

November 14, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  7. Susan

We feel Hillary Clinton would be excellent for the position.

November 14, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  8. Support the Prez Elect

Laurel, you know what? I hope you had the same pessimist attitude during the 2000 and 2004 election when Bush was elected, and re-elected. I knew that would be a disaster, but Americans voted him in not once, but TWICE. Anything opposite from what his administration has done is CHANGE for the better.

November 14, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  9. gp

How Clinton is going to represent Obama's vision of our position in the world when SHE QUOLIFIED HIS POSITION AS NAIVE and has VERY DIFERENT APROACH that sounde more as Bush McInsane!!!!!!!!! This diference was very important to me when I decided to cast vote for Obama. I personaly would feel tricked if chooses her . There must be otrher place for her.Thet position is too sensitive to put at risc of not working well together......World is looking what will be our position toward world and that can infliuence how much harder or easier wil be to menage even domestic issues.. Good luck Obama , Be wise !!!!!!!!!

November 14, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  10. sine

There is but so many people in washington that have the experience and the talent – the fact the barack obama has a lot of clinton people does not mean the same ol' politics. CHANGE starts from the top. People need to stop nitpicking at every thing this man does. CHANGE is the way a person governs. I'm a hundred percent positive this man will not govern like bush – and i'm pretty sure he is a little more advanced than clinton.

Please stop all this back and forth...citizens ...media ...sick of it all.

November 14, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  11. An Independent Hillary

Hillary yes – Richardson no

Kerry definitely not!

November 14, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  12. Coleman R. Brice, Bradley Beach, NJ

YES GOOD MOVE Pres. OBAMA!!

November 14, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  13. fmjk

Perfect choice. Keep Hillary in the Senate to solve the health care crisis.

November 14, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  14. Hal B

I think Pres elect Obama should ask Condi to stay on; I think she's been a pawn in the Bush admin. Condi Rice is an intelligent capable woman with, I might add, a headstart. This would also bridge party lines...

November 14, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  15. Marie

Go for it Hillary you'll be great.You and Obama will bring america together.I wonder what Palin is thinking about all of this.There's got to be alot of envy.It was always said Palin is not a Hillary Clinton and since the republicans and her supporters thought she would make a great vice president this will show her the real female politcian that can not only be a heartbeat away from the president but she could be the president,secretary of state or serve any part of the cabinet of the highest office in the united states which is something that Palin could not be qualified for I betcha

November 14, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  16. OBAMA 4 President

I think Hillary is a better pick.

November 14, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  17. Sara from Arizona

So much for CHANGE!!!!!!!

November 14, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  18. Rachel

Step of Richardson. You did not side with the peole of New Mexico and it was HILLARY who was in a meeting with barack and other hispanic leaders a few weeks before the election trying to make sure some latinos would get some positions in the white house. I know I should let bygones be bygones but I would love to see Hillary get SOS over Bill Richardson.

November 14, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  19. Jordan in Miami

Anybody but Judas!

You want someone that will backstab for his own political gains than pick Richardson. At least Clinton told Obama how she felt about him during the primaries.

Anyway I don't care about whether Clinton will take it or not but ANYBODY BUT JUDAS!

November 14, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  20. Daryl from Seattle

ooooh, I'm sure William Clinton doesn't like that.

November 14, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  21. New England Yankee

As far as this voter is concern, I voted for Barack Obama and now he's running the show. I've been around a long time and this is the FIRST time that I have felt good about the future. We will look back on this and thank GOD we elected this man.

November 14, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  22. OBAMA 4 President

This doesn't sound like Barack, surely he's more decisive than this. I think this is pure conjecture. Obama will not offer the same job to two people, not his style.

I truly believe there is a certain amount of testing the waters by the press, but if Obama had a one on one meeting with Hillary, only two people know what transpired, since Obama will not leak, we can guess who has. Not to worry though, it will all work out for good. May the best candidate win.

Personally I prefer Hillary to Richardson.

November 14, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  23. precilla dreams

lets go obama. you need the best to run the best. and thats what we are, so im all for getting us going again. im ok with it its all about putting this country back together. so lets get it done. obama is very smart he knows what he is doing.

November 14, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  24. virginia for obama

PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE OPEN YOUR MINDS. PLEASE -CHANGE comes in all forms without changing a soul. Its about doing
    things differently, redirecting and rethinking etc. GOSH! ALMIGHTY.

November 14, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  25. Cynthia; Bham

Good, talk with everyone and make an informed decision.

November 14, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |