November 14th, 2008

Obama, McCain to meet

(CNN) - Barack Obama and John McCain will meet in Chicago next week, the Obama-Biden transition team announced Friday.

"On Monday, President-elect Barack Obama and Senator John McCain will meet in Chicago at transition headquarters,” said transition spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter.

“It's well known that they share an important belief that Americans want and deserve a more effective and efficient government, and will discuss ways to work together to make that a reality. They will be joined in the meeting by Senator Lindsey Graham and Congressman Rahm Emanuel."

The two men spoke by phone Election Night, but have not met in person since the Al Smith dinner in New York on October 16.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Brian from Fort Mill, SC

Remember, the Godfather said, "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer!"

November 14, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  2. President Obama

Can't you just see Palin being presidential like this? NOT! Everything is a joke with her and she lives to have applauds. She is a selfish woman who does have a clue of common sense.

November 14, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  3. Sweetie

I'm not surprised the Empty suit is reaching out to someone who actually knows what is going on.

November 14, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  4. Proud to be American

And they said he Obama does not try to work across party lines .... yeah right he did it before and is doing that same thing now..... Obama rocks!

November 14, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  5. Jackie

Its time to put politics aside and get the Job done.

November 14, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  6. Angie-OHIO

It is good for President Obama to show respect to mcsame. Maybe, just maybe the republicans can learn something from President Obama on how to run a campaign without all the dirt. smearing and name calling. Again President Obama has taken the high hill. Well done Mr President. God bless you.

November 14, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  7. Diane Boyd

I think that is a great show of bi partisanship. I did not vote for McCain, However, I think he has a lott offer our government. I believe Obama is a wise man. He will put the right people in place to run our government.

November 14, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  8. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Obama "summoned" McCain to a meeting in Chicago, let's get that right, otherwise McCain has no business in Chicago. Good strategic move, now let's see if McCain responds.

November 14, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  9. Susan

Is McCain coming to tell Obama that "He just doesn't get it"? I would not waste my time because McCain is only going to fight him on everything he wants to do. He can have no part of Obama's administration. He just does not fit. It's a little late in the game now to try to change your philosophy McCain.

November 14, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  10. Mohamed from Virgina

Now this is what I call "COUNTRY FIRST

November 14, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  11. wriotgrrl in Utah

Voted for Obama: Lincoln kept his enemies close–I don't think McCain is an enemy. This was a cleaner election campaign than all I have seen (Carter/Reagan onward). Both people are good men. I have great hope in Obama; maybe too much hope. But his acts of bringing his former campaign foes (NOT enemies, I believe) into his presidency continues to build my hopes for healing our nation and the effects we've had on the world. There is no corner on the market where good ideas and solutions are concerned.

November 14, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  12. Karl

I think this is a sign of a CHANGE in the way washington does business. Maybe a better day is coming.

November 14, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  13. Chuck

McCain 2000 and McCain 2008. These two McCains are two different people and should not be trusted. Please let McCain 2008 go back to the Senate, finish out his term and retire. Period.

November 14, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  14. Zelda

Nothing like a "Team of Rivals!"

November 14, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  15. MEL

KUDOS TO PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA!!!

November 14, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  16. Conservative

Give Obama a couple of years, and see if he can handle Russia, North Korea, China, Pakistan, Iran and Syria, and all the Katrina-like or tsunami-like or Nine-Eleven disasters, diseases, terrorism, famine and dictators all over the world. That is what it takes to be an American president, in the tradition George Washington and Ronald Reagan. We all know socialism never works well in many Asian and European countries, with a big well-fare system, big spending and bigger government-control.

November 14, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  17. Melissa

Obama never ceases to surprise me. Continually he shows himself to be the better man.

November 14, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  18. Marie

Seriously, this is all for show. Obama isn't going to change his socialist ways... and don't expect McCain to jump on that bandwagon.

November 14, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  19. Hope. Change. Action.

Hillary for Secretary of State

McCain for Secretary of Defense

This needs to happen. Our country needs to come together.

November 14, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  20. Fla. Voter

Obama shows diplomatic statesmanship with McCain. They understand the importance of bipartisanship for uniting again, unlike the misguided cheapshot Palin took in her RGA speech yesterday.

November 14, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  21. G.R.I.T. - Girl Raised in the South

Very interesting. I do hope that Pres. Elect Obama offers Sen. McCain a position in the administration. That would be true bi-partisanship at work and would send a clear signal that the new President is willing to work across the aisle to get things done for America. It really puts the ball in the Republicans' court. If they don't pick it up, then we'll know for sure what they are made of.

November 14, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  22. S. Boatman Warrensburg, Mo.

I Think Mccain Needs To Retire! If I Live That Long And I An Able To You Better Believe I Am Going To Retire And Try To Enjoy My Golden Years!

November 14, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  23. Michelle, PA

McCain might not be the best fit for a "No Drama Obama" Administration, but I hope they can work closely on pushing a bipartisan legislative agenda for the issues McCain and Obama hold in common.

November 14, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  24. The Blessed One

Is Obama 'American' enough for a meeting with McCain?

November 14, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  25. Rick from Murfreesboro, TN

Mr. Obama will hopefully be able to get Mr. McCain to work with him in reaching out to the opposition party. Before the recent election campaign Mr. McCain was noted for his bipartisan views. If he and Mr. Obama can reach and agreement and work together then I see a bright future for the new administration. They have to learn from the past and get away from the partisanship that has marred both Bush administrations as well as Reagans. We don't need any more Gingrich's, Rove's Limbaugh's, or others who only want to divide the country and play faction against faction for their own political/monetary gains.

November 14, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |