November 15th, 2008

Schwarzenegger backs Clinton for State job

Schwarzenegger likes the idea of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State.
Schwarzenegger likes the idea of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State.

(CNN) – California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger weighed in on the possibility of Hillary Clinton becoming President-elect Barack Obama's Secretary State, praising the potential choice as a "great move."

"I think she is a very very bright woman and very experienced. I think this could be a great move," Schwarzenegger told ABC's George Stephanopoulos in an interview set to air Sunday.

But Schwarzenegger, a Republican, also suggested Obama must be sure he can work with his former primary rival before he officially offers her the position.

"When it comes to those kinds of positions, what is equally as important, and I know with my cabinet, what is equally as important as who is qualified, is who can you work with. Who can you sit down with and really get in there and start becoming a partner [with], that sees things the way you see it," he said.

"And also that you maybe want to learn from that person and admire that person so much that you want to pick up some pointers and learn from that person, so that they together can go out and do this," Schwarzenegger also said.

Sources told CNN Friday Obama met with Clinton in Chicago Thursday to gauge the New York senator's interest in the top diplomatic post. Sources also told CNN Obama is considering New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson for the position.

Clinton would not comment on the speculation Friday.

1. Griff

Whatever this Program is talking about??? Don't soft Talk me.....
    I got involved with Your Election when those Kids were shot in that School. Just after Barack Obama had been talking in his Own State, and Wisconsin... Maybe CNN, and most of the Black's forgot about that... Way back in April............???????????????

November 15, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  2. Jersey Independent

Who cares. He's got his own problems to deal with, like California's budget and widfires. Besides, I don't trust the judgemnt of anyone who strongly campaigned for McCain/Palin.

November 15, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  3. linda from South Dakota

barack,, be wise and leery because many are goin to want you to appoint them,,, and first checkin out their credentials is of upmost importance,,, i trust your judgement ,,,

November 15, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  4. Jasmine in Germany

After Schwarzeneggers's endorsement speech for McCain (shortly before the election, circa November 1, 2008), I don't know why anyone would listen to a word he says. His superficial endorsement was filled with negative campaigning, fear tactics and was geared to the uneducated who might just believe that McCain is an "action figure". Arnie, I love your wife and her family, but you blew it with me. You can't even make good on the energy issue with me. As far as your quotes above go, you sound like a superficial male chauvinist politician. You'd be better to keep your mouth shut, change parties, and take advice from your wife. If you reread your own words, you'd recognize that you sound like Palin in a pantsuit. Go to school and keep quiet.

November 15, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  5. aliou FL

I would like JFK and Jacqueline Kennedy's daughter or Maria shriver -Swaznager for Secretary of State. MY other choice is Colin Powell.

November 15, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  6. Mike

Hillary would be a good choice but I have some reservations that were made evident in her primary campaign.

She said something to the tune that "we will blow iran to smithereens". Don't remember the exact quote.

This is something I would expect of the "bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran guy, McCsomething, I think.

I would hope that it was only primary rhetoric that she was giving.

This would give Iran ground to say that Israel should be obliterated.

November 15, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  7. maynard hopkins wi

stay the hell out of it schwarzenegger stay out of politics

November 15, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  8. Northwest Washington

I'm sorry; didn't the Terminator also endorse McCain/Palin? Not a real strong endorsement.

November 15, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  9. Martha Hussein Baker for Barack

Hillary would make a great Secretary of State, but who will babysit Bill?

God bless and protect our President elect and his family.

November 15, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  10. Concern Citizen

Schwarzenegger has spoken! Sorry Mr Arnold, but your wise input is coming in late. You should have adviced your friend McCain to make a wise selection for his VP candidate, maybe this position will have been offered to you. I think Clinton and Richardson should be well vetted and the job be given to the most qualified candidate. Also, i am a little concern on the pressure this may have on the secret service if Clinton is offered this job as she receives service from them 24/7. I believe she and the husband should be able to seperate her job description from his Global objective.

November 15, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  11. Michael

The Governator is something that the Repubs need in a bad way.......a moderate who doesn't get too bogged down in the conservative "social issues" ideological lock-step BS. Heck, I think he'd be a good addition to Obama's team.

November 15, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  12. Surafel Melaku

Arnold can you focus doing your job right – instead of getting a national media attention? Every time, you spend time out side of the state – we lose money – then you cut our budget big time. Please, focus in state I want to finish my school – you are not helping me every time you cut budget to uc-csu and community college – do me a favor too – go down south and support and energize the fire fighters and volunteers!

November 15, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  13. BM

Did you take the Civil Service or SAT? How does Magnum Cum Laude? We have always had to work harder to compete, you jerk!

November 15, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  14. Griff

I know I get to you eventually Lou. Plus this is the much-Shorter... Whatever You and CNN. Wolf, a Mr Cafferty may think.. My Comments are 98% Positive.. Only when you annoy me is it Negative..
    You are my Next-Door Neighbor. Mr America.. What happens in the USA, causes problems for My KIds, and theirs... (All five)...
    So this comment is also Possitive..

YOU HAVE TO SAVE GENERAL MOTORS..... No matter what you may think about it... Long Term this is the only way you can go...
    Do it as you see it!!! Monthly... Six monthly... Yearly?????????

November 15, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  15. Jerome in Missouri

Commenter here need to let go of their CDS. Obama won, so stop trying to forward all of these terrible conspiracies about Hillary and Bill Clinton. If Hillary was as devious and manipulative as people make her out to be, don't you think that she would be president right now instead of Obama. She's by far the most qualified name floated for SoS so far. Obama supporters: Shouldn't his Administration be about creating the best team to move America forward? If he feels Clinton is that woman, then so be it. Seriously, enough with the Clinton hate!

November 15, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  16. RJ, CA

Every once in a while I look at these blogs - just to appreciate what I'm NOT missing. Geeze, people - get a life - if you look hard enough, you'll find one !!!!!!!

November 15, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  17. Sue

" blacks and whites are equal, but that Obama is the wrong one?" My guess is that you would never vote for a black man or woman for anything.
    When Limbaugh, Beck, O'Reilly and Hannity are out there warning about Obama, and gun sales are up, and Klan members are parading around my town, that is a bad sign for America. What is wrong with people? Obama is not even sworn in, and the doom and gloom folks can't stop themselves.
    On the other hand, had McCain/Palin won, I would be worried about the annihilation of the world in the name of "security." I would be worried about Todd Palin hanging out in her office with sensitive documents. I would be worried about John McCain not having a clue what to do for the economy, and turning to the current crops of crooks who gave us the wonderful bailout scheme. I would be really worried that my privacy rights would take further abuse from republicans who think the Constitution is optional; that executive orders are there to protect their misdeeds, and that the Justice Dept. is their to control. That thinking must stop.
    Obama is not perfect, but he is a far superior choice for this country at this time in history. The racists will have to get a life, I guess, and stop moaning and threatening.

November 15, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  18. John

Bad, bad, worse choice! Haven't the Obama Adm had enough Clinton connection. Remember H Clinton is all, all for herself and for B Clinton's $ coffer. She is an egoistic war enthusiastic. This is like inviting a rattle snake in. Is it because B Richarson a Hispanic
    Schwarzenegger picks Clinton? S is a racist Rep. I am a democrat and non-Hispanic, I will not vote or volunteer for Obama again, if he picked H Clinton. Bill Richarson for Sec of State!!! Richarson!!!!

November 15, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  19. My Friends, let me tell you,

I would give Clinton the cleanup job for the new dog.She a proven liar and her husband sold out all Americans to China and our jobs to India.

November 15, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  20. Swimfast

Richardson is too soft. Hill would be great!

November 15, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  21. Shut Up You Marble Mouthed Yahoo.

How arrogant.

We don't give a – - – - what Schwartznegger thinks. Who the hell is he?

This is what is wrong with America ... reporters always deffering to the latest yahoo ... shoving a mic in his face ... asking for his opinion ... and then the egotistical idiot providing it.

So glad that Ar ... nold and NEVER run for President. What's ironic is he is part of the most zenophobic party ... and it's his party that fought against Obama under the guise of him being unAmerican.

November 15, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  22. joan

S is a jerk. Media: you really press for Clinton hard. What can't we just let the old lady go? Go somewhere else to show your shimmering jewelry.

November 15, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  23. T. Marlo

Of course he'd back Clinton if he ever hopes to get back into his bedroom after disagreeing with his wife about who to endorse for President...

November 15, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  24. Janice Illinois

Arnold is smarter than he looks!!!

November 15, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  25. John

Bad, bad, worse choice! Haven't the Obama Adm had enough Clinton connection. Remember H Clinton is all, all for herself and for B Clinton's $ coffer. She is an egoistic war enthusiastic. I will not vote or volunteer for Obama again, if he picked H Clinton. This is like inviting a rattle snake in. Is it because B Richarson a Hispanic?

November 15, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |